collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: who shouldn't be sunfaded?  (Read 10316 times)

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
who shouldn't be sunfaded?
« on: March 18, 2013, 01:09:54 AM »
Just wanted to know if there is a list or something of what ponies shouldn't be sunfaded? Like those that burn, those it doesn't work on, etc? Will regrindy ponies completely regrind? Please share your wisdom with this sunfading newbie :biggrin:

Offline salemsparkler

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • TotallySparkler on Etsy
Re: who shouldn't be sunfaded?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 01:21:58 AM »
sherbet, milky way, the pink secret surprise, Princess sparkle, the purple fancy pants baby, G2 sweetberry - looks like all the pinky/purple ones.
lickety was alright though.

xx

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:16:44 AM »
I know Cherry Treats is prone to burning because members on here warned me not to attempt it! ;) And I think Starshine?

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:07:54 AM »
I know Starshine is supposed to be prone to burning. But then again, I sunfaded my Starshine back to white and never saw any sings of burning. So, I guess its not same with all the ponies.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 05:09:15 AM »
Add poor Gingerbread to the list.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 05:28:36 AM »
Certain Starshines burn horribly.  Others are fine, it depends on the type of plastic they have. 
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,324401.0.html
The top Starshine with age spots has sunburn.  The bottom two are safe to sunfade, with more opaque plastic.   Problem is I'm not sure if there's any good way of telling them apart unless they're already toasty.  There's some evidence that the larger bodied, harder Starshines are the safe ones, but without a large sample size to compare I wouldn't be comfortable calling it conclusive and having someone ruin their pony. 

Definitely Gingerbread and Cherry Treats go off color in the sun.  Seashell too, though I don't know if minimal exposure is safe, long term she turns a sickly yellow/tan.  I suspect BnG Bouquet is also one of the "tanners", given how often she turns up off-colored. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

mylittleponylover92

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 05:47:52 AM »
This is a really interesting thread. I had no idea that certain ponies cant be sunfaded! I have only tried it myself with a yellow G1 Majesty when I vist the family home in spain...since the sun is never around long enough in england! She did get better but it was a slow process for me!

I am considering doing some more when I vist my parents in the middle east. Is TE Whizzer okay to sunfade? I have 2 of her with HORRIBLY discoloured heads to bodies! Was thinking of trying it out over the easter holidays! Im guessing that she is the pink/purple category so no?

Sorry for jumping on this thread, I'll be watching this for tips about who shouldn't be and who can be sunfaded :)

PandoraFox

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 05:51:26 AM »
sherbet, milky way, the pink secret surprise, Princess sparkle, the purple fancy pants baby, G2 sweetberry - looks like all the pinky/purple ones.
lickety was alright though.

xx

Bugger, G2 Sweetberry is prone to burning too? I have a Royal Masquerade Ball one here, that I had been hoping to sun fade. She's got a pretty big pink highlighter mark. No deal breaker for me if I honestly can't get it out, but I sure would have liked it gone. Are all versions of her prone to it?

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:00:08 AM »
  I suspect BnG Bouquet is also one of the "tanners", given how often she turns up off-colored. 

Aw, I was wondering about her. I have one that needs some sun, but I wondered about her burning :(

Does Quackers burn? Seems like I heard she did.
My Wish List

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 06:07:01 AM »
This is a really interesting thread. I had no idea that certain ponies cant be sunfaded! I have only tried it myself with a yellow G1 Majesty when I vist the family home in spain...since the sun is never around long enough in england! She did get better but it was a slow process for me!

I am considering doing some more when I vist my parents in the middle east. Is TE Whizzer okay to sunfade? I have 2 of her with HORRIBLY discoloured heads to bodies! Was thinking of trying it out over the easter holidays! Im guessing that she is the pink/purple category so no?

Sorry for jumping on this thread, I'll be watching this for tips about who shouldn't be and who can be sunfaded :)

please feel free to jump!! I'm currently sunfading minty, a bride pony, and 2 unknowns (haven't looked them up yet :blush:) one is a lightish pink and the other a regrindy orange. I'm using various methods, sticky tape and sharpie over symbols - one outside one inside, cling wrap and sharpie inside and foil wrapped inside. I was contemplating doing gingerbread, but I guess not now!!

mylittleponylover92

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 06:20:51 AM »

please feel free to jump!! I'm currently sunfading minty, a bride pony, and 2 unknowns (haven't looked them up yet :blush:) one is a lightish pink and the other a regrindy orange. I'm using various methods, sticky tape and sharpie over symbols - one outside one inside, cling wrap and sharpie inside and foil wrapped inside. I was contemplating doing gingerbread, but I guess not now!!

Haha thanks!  :lol: Ah cool, I hope it goes well for you!  ^.^ maybe you can share which method works best? Although I think it does depend on what pony is being sunfaded to what works best I think? Im quite a novice at this myself  :blush:

Yeah, Gingerbread surprises me me...I thought TEs would be okay since mine seem to have tougher plastic compared with my other ponies, or maybe its just mine haha.  :P I know she's prone to cancer so for me, if she has it then I'd try anyway...it cant get much worse right? :lookround: That's if her eyes, symbols and hair is protected properly though! Although obviously its down to what the pony owner wants to do!  :) Maybe one day I will try my sweet stuff as a test since the poor girl has a few cancer spots and her nylon isnt in the best condition anyways.

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 06:45:53 AM »
I have a very yellowed baby Quackers in the window right now. We dont have too much sun at the moment, but she's already much, much whiter. Well, she did have a coat of acne cream aswell, but she's been in the sun too.

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 08:58:38 AM »
Chief :drunk:

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »
Any darker blue or purple pony must be watched closely and checked daily as they can start to get too bleached. I tend to cover their whole bodies except for targeted spots and then check under the tape each day to make sure they're not lightening past the point of the rest of the body. I noticed this with TAF Love Melody while fading some marker spots. If you're doing a whole-body fade to take care of dinginess for blue/purple ponies, check them religiously and keep in mind they need much less time to sunfade because darker colors absorb sunlight while lighters colors reflect it.

White ponies should be watched closely too but I have had fantastic success with Sundance, Quackers and Baby Starbow. It seems that most white ponies should be tested because sunburning potential depends on the batch... With the exception of Cherry Treats, who will always turn brown because of the way the fragrance infused in her plastic reacts to sunlight.

Yellow ponies on the other hand seem very resilient in sunlight, with marks fading but the body color staying bright. So I don't have to be quite as particular about covering them.

I have not sunfaded any green or pink ponies yet so unfortunately I can't give any tips for those body colors. I suspect they are a bit like the blue and purple ponies but to a lesser extent. 

For covering symbols I prefer to use cheap acrylic paint. It's the most precise option and especially for TAF ponies the easiest. To remove, just scrub with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol.

For eyes, I rip off tiny bits of blue painter's tape and slowly cover each area. The tape tends to peel up so at the end of the day I make a point to check it. I no longer use this tape on symbols because it can leave a sticky residue behind that is impossible to get off.

For hair I fold it into tinfoil and tape along the very base of the mane with painter's tape, being careful to avoid light leaks or getting more than the edge of the tape on the neck.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:53:03 AM by babystarz »

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
 How about G3 ponies? I have an August Gladiolus (a white pony) who has pink highlighter "chicken pox" all over her face. (Thankfully the NDS, but still a bit of a problem since I'd like to sell her!) Should I try it and keep an eye on her just like if I were sunfading a white G1?
I'll put something here some time

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal