collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: who shouldn't be sunfaded?  (Read 10309 times)

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: who shouldn't be sunfaded?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 02:17:31 PM »
This is awesome! When I last posted it was just after midnight, so the brain wasn't ticking properly. I actually have one with symbols covered in acrylic :biggrin: most had already been in the window a week (during a 30 degree + heat wave) before I thought to take photos, but I can sorta remember how they were. Still spewin on gingerbread, mine is pretty nasty :(

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 07:06:18 AM »
Mimic, supposedly. :(
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 03:25:22 PM »
Any pony which is prone to age marks/cancer is the easy answer :) Which technically means every pony - its just that some are much much more likely and others hardly ever. Also sometimes "tanning" appears as discolouration rather than turning brown.

Sunburning is just an enhanced version of what happens when age marks/cancer appear so if you have a pony which this happens on be careful.

Starshine, Cherry Treats, Chief, Baby Moondancer and Gingerbread are the most common examples of ponies which really dont tend to do well in sunlight.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Moonracer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
Bump. :)

First of all, let me just say that this thread is pure awesomeness: long have I been searching for a thread like this, listing all the ponies that shouldn't be sunfaded, but couldn't find anything until this baby popped up. Thanks so much for the person who created this and all the nice folks who made a contribution to it! :)

Now I guess it's my turn to ask... is it okay to sunfade Bow Tie? I'm asking since I just so happen to own a CP Bow Tie that has a pen mark near her symbols (some kid thought it would be cool to connect all of Bow Tie's... bow ties in a "connect the dots" fashion... *sigh*), which I'd love to get rid off.

I know that she's one of those blue ponies that shouldn't be put in the sun, but on the other hand, I've seen people post before and after pics with blue ponies and it seems that sun fading didn't really harm them all that much...

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »
I havent heard of any one having issues with Bow Tie - I wasnt aware she was one who shouldnt be put in the sun. So I am sure you will be fine with her. As with everything the key is simply to check with regularity. No matter the condition or colour of the pony you do risk fading/bleaching the plastic with exposure but as long as you check, the surface stain should shift before the colour of the pigment in the plastic does.
Loa is my love god!

girlyponce

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »
I haven't had any trouble sunfading ponies, but I need to sunfade Silver Swirl & I'm terrified something will happed to her. I have a couple that look really dingey compared to the rest. Has anyone has any luck with her?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 02:32:31 AM »
Do you mean because she is white you are worried or because of the sheer number of symbols she has?

I have seen a couple of pictures of her sunfaded in the past but I think the issue is getting all those symbols covered. I ll bump this back up in the hope that someone can share a picture with you.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »
The only issue I'm aware of with Bow-Tie and sunfading is that her symbols are prone to going white quite easily.  That said, I've never actually tried fading her myself, and with the many releases of her in different shades, it's quite probable that she could have varying tolerances.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

girlyponce

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 01:59:54 PM »
Do you mean because she is white you are worried or because of the sheer number of symbols she has?

I have seen a couple of pictures of her sunfaded in the past but I think the issue is getting all those symbols covered. I ll bump this back up in the hope that someone can share a picture with you.

Just because of her crazy amount of symbols. If the silver doesn't really fade at all in the sun, then it doesn't really matter. Otherwise, it would be a huge PitA

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 03:24:45 AM »

Just because of her crazy amount of symbols. If the silver doesn't really fade at all in the sun, then it doesn't really matter. Otherwise, it would be a huge PitA

Unfortunately everything fades - including the paint on symbols. Silver is not purple or pink or blue however which will loose their colour the fastest but silver will still fade given time. If the sun is strong and intense enough to fade the marks on the pony, it will be strong and intense enough to fade the symbols. You are right it is a pain but honestly, while this colour may be one of the least problematic for fading, I would still cover them up. Have you tried white craft paint to cover them up?
Loa is my love god!

girlyponce

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 05:47:30 AM »
None of them are really that awful - they are just dingy do to age. I have one MOC that is super white & a Baby Swirly that is pure white as well. The other ones are a little grey-ish. I think I will test on the SS with a haircut and go from there. Thanks for all the advice!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »
How about G3 ponies? I have an August Gladiolus (a white pony) who has pink highlighter "chicken pox" all over her face. (Thankfully the NDS, but still a bit of a problem since I'd like to sell her!) Should I try it and keep an eye on her just like if I were sunfading a white G1?
Every white G3 I've tried to fade marks off of has yellowed slightly in the sun, so yes, keep a close eye on them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal