collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I do not want to be called a Brony.  (Read 7769 times)

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I do not want to be called a Brony.
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »
Brony can be used as a general term for all pony collectors, it can also be used for strictly male collectors as well. If a girl wants to be called a brony or doesn't mind the term then why have such an issue with it? If you don't like being called that, that's fine but don't be hating the females of the Brony community of folks on this forum just because they don't mind being called one or identifying with the name.

I am still seeing some females in this thread and others calling themselves a brony....

Seriously. You can't be a brony if you are a girl, that's stupid! Bro is short for brother, brothers can only be male. This is pre-school stuff.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »
Brony can be used as a general term for all pony collectors, it can also be used for strictly male collectors as well. If a girl wants to be called a brony or doesn't mind the term then why have such an issue with it? If you don't like being called that, that's fine but don't be hating the females of the Brony community of folks on this forum just because they don't mind being called one or identifying with the name.

I am still seeing some females in this thread and others calling themselves a brony....

Seriously. You can't be a brony if you are a girl, that's stupid! Bro is short for brother, brothers can only be male. This is pre-school stuff.

I know! My goodness, why take it so seriously? It's a made up word, anyway! I don't want to have two separate terms for the same kind of fan, depending on your gender! THAT'S silly, if you ask me. I wouldn't mind if the more common term was more gender neutral, but I'm perfectly happy being called a brony because that's the term that most are familiar with. I don't think that's stupid at all. I think it's perfectly reasonable.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »
I wonder how many mods *headdesk* when these threads appear/reappear :silly:

if you listen closely, you can hear their curses on the wind.

As I said that, a bird concussed itself on the window. I hope that wasn't an omen.

edit: I checked outside. For those worried, the bird is fine and flew off.

Post Merge: July 21, 2013, 09:47:00 AM

I believe in a world where a woman can be a bro if she dang well wants to be.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:47:00 AM by Rosencrantz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »

I don't personally know any females who want to associate themselves with many of the themes that 'bronies' stand for,  but please don't think that I'm offended by whatever the hell you want to call yourself, I'm sure I've heard people call themselves worse :) But just look at the term literally... it is referring to the males who are following something that is originally aimed at girls.... Bro-ponies!

But I don't want this thread to derail over one misunderstanding of terminology so if you do want to discuss it then please feel free to send me a pm :)

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2013, 09:50:22 AM »
That's kinda the thing that gets me though. Look at it this way: when a girl likes something "traditionally" for boys (let's take video games or science fiction as examples, though in reality the fanbases for both are about equally split between genders now), she gets grilled on trivia and ridiculed and told she's just there for attention, or a poser, or a dozen other hostile, uncomplimentary things.

SHIRO! Prove your pony love! Name three princess ponies or be shunned.

(You know, I never got that attitude. What's the point of faking liking something? The only reward is more of the thing. I can only conclude people like stuff)
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »

As I'm sure she can also call herself 'dad', 'uncle' or anything else in the world... it doesn't mean she's using the term correctly I'm afraid.

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »

As I'm sure she can also call herself 'dad', 'uncle' or anything else in the world... it doesn't mean she's using the term correctly I'm afraid.

If you say so! It's a little too nitpicky for me, I'm afraid
 (backcard by Ivy!)

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2013, 09:55:20 AM »
I don't care for the label, but luckily enough I have gender on my side.  I know it's sexist, but there's the usual assumption of boy who like ponies = weirdo g4 brony.  Girl who like ponies = normal girl who likes ponies.
I hate the word pegasister though, it has a bad mouth feel when I say it.

I don't label others though, or call them out on what they've chosen to self identify.  If I did I'd probably use less flattering terms in a playful mocking way that could probably be considered hate speech depending on who is looking at it.  So I don't do it.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2013, 10:43:23 AM »
That's kinda the thing that gets me though. Look at it this way: when a girl likes something "traditionally" for boys (let's take video games or science fiction as examples, though in reality the fanbases for both are about equally split between genders now), she gets grilled on trivia and ridiculed and told she's just there for attention, or a poser, or a dozen other hostile, uncomplimentary things.

(You know, I never got that attitude. What's the point of faking liking something? The only reward is more of the thing. I can only conclude people like stuff)
Hehehe, I actually do want to start collecting G1 princess ponies. Sparkly stuff? MINE. I just know when I start, I'll never stop.

On topic, though, seriously. If "guys" and "dude" and all that are gender-neutral at this point, what's the problem with calling yourself a bro?

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »

Hehehe, I actually do want to start collecting G1 princess ponies. Sparkly stuff? MINE. I just know when I start, I'll never stop.

it's addictive. It's very very addictive.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »
I don' want to be called a brony ether.  We've had the term 'pony collector/fan' for many years and that's good enough for me. While being called a brony would most likely give me more of a sense of belonging with newer fans, there is a sub-group of the newer fandom I simply don't have much in common with, as a fan of mostly G1. I like G4, but just the show and the toys themselves, not the fandom made ideas about them for the most part. It seems sometimes as if enjoying all the fandom ideas about characters and taking them as fact is an unspoken part\give in of being a brony, at least, from what I have seen. I could be wrong :)

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »

if you listen closely, you can hear their curses on the wind.

As I said that, a bird concussed itself on the window. I hope that wasn't an omen.

Listen closely? It's like a roar rofl!! ;)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »
We are NEVER not here ;)

This thread is months old and the phrase beating a dead horse comes to mind. This can go round in circles for ever and ever.

Locked.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal