collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I do not want to be called a Brony.  (Read 7746 times)

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I do not want to be called a Brony.
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:07:59 AM »
For awhile I was willing to call myself a Brony, but now I realize I am nothing like them.  I really like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but I don't go as far as some fans do.  I like the show for the fun stories, the beautiful and catchy songs, and the great development of the characters.  I don't much care for the dark stories.  It really bothered me when someone who wanted art from me of his pony character asks for a piece of him stabbing Celestia, because he is part of a group called the Luna Republic.  I'm sorry to those who are into that, but that to me is just horrible.  My favorite princess is Princess Luna, but that doesn't mean I would wish death and destruction upon Princess Celestia.  I have yet to tell him how I feel, but I will be sharing with him my feelings about it.

From this day forward I want to be called a collector or a fan.  I have liked My Little Pony from the beginning and will collect the toys from multiple generations (I admit I bought some of the newborn cuties and one or two of the G3.5)  I will draw ponies from all generations and happily talk about my little pony with all fans, but I do not want to be labeled as a Brony.  I just feel that they take it too far at times and that's not me.  I collect the toys, will buy a t-shirt or two, and watch the show.  That is all. 

Please tell me I'm not the only one that feels this way.  I know the arena supports all forms of My Little Pony, but I am just curious to know who else feels this way.  If you don't want to post a message here feel free to private message me.

Sorry to take up space, but this was something I wanted to get off my chest.

[slight content edit - SDS]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:26:26 AM by SourdoughStomper »

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I do not want to be called a Brony.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:13:08 AM »
You are not alone  :hug: I love FiM, but that doesn't mean I have to call myself brony. Neither do you.

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »
Yeah you're definitely not alone. I do have to thank FiM for getting me back into the world of ponies (of all gens), as I was a pony nut as a child and it's brought a lot of happiness and great memories back (at a time where I really needed something bright and happy in my life, I might add). However, I've never been a big fan of labels. Labels have a way of putting you in a box, and no one collector can be defined so cut and dry. I think I also referred to myself as a brony in a playful way to my best friend a few times in the very beginning when I started collecting, but it never really felt right. So, I'm not a brony myself, I'm just a general pony lover. My best friend does refer to herself as a brony, and she's amazing in all ways :) I say it doesn't matter if you label yourself or not, there are good and bad in all fandoms. We all love ponies, that's what matters!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Talismarr

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:34:14 AM »
I'm with you! I only watched the first season of FiM, and consider myself more a collector and fan of the G1s and not so much the more recent styles and gens. I also agree with you about being labelled. Some of the new fans do go pretty far and I don't really feel comfortable being labelled in the same group. I'm also not really a fan of the word brony, or labels in general as cool.breeze said! As collectors and fan, just like as people, we are all different!

Binny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 08:35:04 AM »
You're not alone. I prefer not to be called one either. I have nothing against those who like being called bronies, but I don't think labels should ever be forced on people. This sort of reminds me of the whole "furry" thing where any artists who draw anthropomorphic art seem to get flack for not calling themselves/wanting to be called furries.  :huh:

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 08:39:15 AM »
Advance warning: this kind of topic goes downhill rapidly. This is not me taking sides necessarily, but just pointing out the past pattern of such discussions.

Could everyone do Stomper and the rest of the mods a favor of staying über calm and non-inflammatory in this thread? Thanks in advance. The probability of this thread being locked within the day is extremely high.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

jennovazombie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:46:40 AM »
It's a touchy subject for me. I try to avoid all labels just for a personal reason. While I do respect that bronies (and furries, and trekkies, etc.) exist and have a lot of sway in their respective communities, I don't want to be called one just because I'm a fan. I feel I'm not at the same level of fandom as they are.

Ah well, to each their own, right? That's what's great about having fandoms, is that the more involved people can do their thing and the less involved can enjoy their way.

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:31 AM »
I totally agree that sometimes things can get out of hand. And me personally love Luna but that doesn't mean I want to see Celestia destroyed. I tend to think more child-like and innocent when it comes to ponies (sometimes we all need something like that in this harsh world) so I was shocked and appalled when I read that some people add such violence to MLP. Again my opinion, I prefer to keep MLP innocent. I do like FiM but I'll always favor G1s.
Anyways each to their own.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
I had always thought "bronies" were just boys that liked MLP -  I was happy when I learned of it, because I figured it just meant that society was evolving enough such that boys would finally not be stigmatized for playing with traditionally "girly" toys- and THAT would be awesome!

I have now learned (mostly through this board) of some of the more bizarre fan groups that appear to be associated with FiM, and realize those people do also label themselves as "bronies" and can understand why you would want not to associate with the name, since it brings all new (and negative) connotations to the definition "brony." 

Ultimately, I think that "brony" means what you want it to mean, but I suspect a lot of people feel the way you do, and totally understand that you would want to distance yourself from a label that would associate you with some of the more bizarre and distasteful aspects of the fandom...

Still-  some part of me still hopes that if nothing else, be they "bronies" or not, the fact that the FiM fanbase includes so many boys- will somehow have a positive effect on Western society in that maybe families won't pick on their little boys so much when they want to play ponies or dolls with their sisters or cousins.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »
As someone who liked MLP before bronies i never had any desire to suddenly call myself a brony.
I love ponies of all gens so i don't think the brony community would ever work for me anyways.
Too much old gen hate. I know some may disagree but i believe there is a big difference between the collector and brony community. The problem is that everyone will assume you are a brony these days.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 09:57:45 AM »
Personally, I am a My Little Pony Collector. 
Nobody should force you to adopt a label if you don't want it.  :awake:
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:03:06 AM »
I went to a convention this weekend and attended their MLP panel.  But I left after a short time because they were talking only about the fan-created videos, voiceovers, and stuff like that.  I just like the show and some of the toys.

I think it's the difference between being a "fan of" something and being "part of the fandom".  I see the brony thing as a "fandom" thing, where there are all these in-jokes and references that just watching the show doesn't give you access to.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 10:06:53 AM »
I understand why you wouldn't want to take that commission. To me My Little Pony is all about goodness and innocence and fun, so I simply can't get my head around someone who can like My Little Pony but also like violence and such like. That's why I've never been a fan of the whole zombie pony thing. :shrug:

As for labels, they don't tend to be helpful in my experience, except for the ones on food and medicines!  ;)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

keikokukien

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »
I feel this way too...I actually have a new manager where I work and when he asked if I collect anything, I said "My Little Pony and some game merchandise, mostly" he was the first person to NOT call me a Brony and I have so much respect for him. It's almost like being called "Otaku" or "shipper" just because you watched some anime at one point or were into reading/writing fanfiction...

My new manager responded by saying "Oh, that's awesome! Some ponies are worth alot of money." Apparently, he collects comic books and gets the distinction between collector and avid, raving fan. That's cool for whoever does it, life choices and all, but MLP is my escape from violence and bad thoughts like what you've described. :( I'm so sorry that someone put you in that situation, too! *hugs* I hope it works out alright for you, dear.  :heart:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »
It would feel weird to suddenly pick up a new label after just being a collector for so many years.  Anyway, I watch the show and buy the toys.  But I don't know much about the brony world beyond that. To each their own.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal