collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your story of when G1s ceased to be made  (Read 3914 times)

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
Re: Your story of when G1s ceased to be made
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 10:13:37 AM »
I don't know I think I was into Hot Wheels at the time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 10:50:50 AM »
I don't remember for ponies per say, but I do remember when I got A's on my report card and dad finally agreed to buy me some Dino Riders toys, which I had been dying for (cuz a little girl can love ponies and dinosaurs too, ya know! ;) )

Well we went to Child's World, which was an awesome big toy store back in my youth that even competed with TRU at the time, and we searched that whole store and only found a couple small Dino Rider toys in the clearance section. We got two of them, but dad warned me that it meant they probably wouldn't make any more. That was my first time realizing toys could go out of style, and I was very sad.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »
I was 12/13 about the time they stopped making G1 in the US.  By then I didn't buy ponies too much anymore as I was more interested in Breyers.  But I did go through the pony isles for nostalgia's sake and I remember there were less and less and finally the pony part of the girl's toy section was just gone altogether. 
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »
I wasn't bad into ponies when they ended. Sure I had some ponies but I was into Sylvanians and also more realistic animal toys like Puppy in my Pocket, LPS, Grand Champions. I just don't remember noticing when G1 ended. I did however notice when Puppy in my Pocket ended and I was so very sad. I'd sift through all the clearence end caps in stores trying to find any remaining packs.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »
I guess I was around 10 years old when G1 discontinued, and I remember the G2 line and that I hated it. Really, really did not like it. But then again, I was walking the isle of toy stores looking for the early G1s so I had been sad about those not being available for purchase anymore for awhile already. The last G1s was just not the same as the first lines (Glory, Firefly, Posey, Bowtie, Gusty and Blossom - those were the days!)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
I would've been around 11-12 but I don't think I noticed.  I was really into Barbie at that point.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 01:22:08 PM »
I don't really remember the G1 line ending here. My last childhood pony was Sanddigger, and at the time my mum said to me: 'I think this might be your last pony, ok darling?'.  :(  I think I might have been 10 or 11.

I guess with that notion laid upon me I didn't look out for new ponies. Ponies were special birthday or christmas presents every now and then, so I grew up appreciating there wasn't an endless supply of them. Which is probably why i didn't dispute Sanddigger being my last, as well as starting to wonder then too, if I was getting too old for them....

Now however.... I can have as many darn ponies as I want!!!  :P  (within $$ reason, of course  ;))

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »
I was about 10 when G1 ended, though I had "grown out of" My Little Ponies, and most non-electronic toys in general, a few years earlier (That mentality really lasted, lol). I believe that my last childhood pony was a Sippin' Soda Chocolate Delight. I don't think I really even noticed Hasbro had stopped making G1's until the first time I stumbled across a G2 in stores.

I was tagging along with my mother while she was out shopping for a birthday gift for one of her friend's children, when I heard her make a comment about "the new My Little Ponies." I quickly glanced over the aisle and wondered what she was talking about until the logo finally jumped out at me. I just really didn't know what to make of them.

I find G2's more endearing now, but I remember thinking they were absolutely hideous at the time and I was a bit surprised by the radical change in design. I had so many G1's growing up, and although I was past playing with them at that point, they were still such a huge part of my childhood that it was enough to bum me out.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:12:45 PM by Mandy85 »

Tirac

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
I wasn't alive in the 80s. :( But I did suffer the "no more G1s" idea. Simply because I KNEW there was a G1 cartoon and I KNEW there were G1 toys but they didn't make any new episodes and I couldn't get my hands on the toys. I was "meh" about G2 and later on HATED G3. (my teen years were very nasty and I'd rather not talk about them) I have since warmed up to G2s and G3s.

pixieponies

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »
i was 11/12 and had a load of 'hand me down' G1's from my aunt but I was more into collecting My Beautiful Horses and Grand Champions at that age. I didn't know they had stopped making then until i saw the G2's appear in shops and wondered what had happened to MLP as they were a bit funny looking

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »
oooh... I don't know old I was, I was pretty young.

I remember being at Toys R Us, and seeing G2s-- and saying "Those aren't ponies, they look nothing like ponies" (exactly that quote). My dad pointed out the logo, and I got very angry and refused to believe it. ... I am pretty sure I through a fit in the store, and my dad got veeeeeery mad at me. D: I never misbehaved in a store again.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
Alas I had grown out of ponies by the time G1 stopped showing up in stores. Thankfully a decade later I grew back in to them again. :) But because I wasnt buying or having them purchased for me at the time the line ended, the lack of ponies in stores was not something I was aware of.

As for ponies being made in other countries. To be honest when I started collecting I was more amazed by the general HK/China releases which the US got but that we didnt over here - so many pretty ponies which I remembered from my comic books but which my mum and dad couldnt buy me in store, were suddenly available for collecting.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline McKinley

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »
I was about 9 when the G1 line ended in the US. I didn't really notice because I just wasn't paying attention (although I was still playing with ponies at that time). I wasn't taken to toy stores very often as a kid anyway, so I really didn't have any concept of what was available when. The latest of my childhood ponies were from year 9.

I do remember one time, though, when I was in the toy aisle at a store (early '90s) and I saw some of the CPK Magic Meadow ponies. I mistakenly thought they were MLP, and I remember thinking, "What happened?!"  :lol:  I was glad to eventually learn that I was wrong!

Moonracer

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »
I was about five years old when Hasbro discontinued the MLP line here in Europe. The last two ponies my Mom got for me from a regular store were Little Giggles and Stardazzle. The rest of my childhood herd plus the incomplete show stable came from one of the carboot sales my parents went to while we were in the UK.

While I still did get to experience the joy of having the original G1 toys and accessories, a part of me felt kind of sad: I remember looking at the illustrations in one of the storybooks that I had and pointing at ponies such as Sugarberry or the Big Brother Ponies and asking my Mom, "Mommy, can I get this one next time?". Little did I know, I won't be getting any of these until much much later... :(

I also remember that when I was a kid I used to hate the G2 line: back then I thought they looked absolutely ugly. This also made me really angry, that they dared to replace the ponies I used to grow up with, with "these things". XD

Incidentally, I remember that at the same time G2 premiered, one of the big TV stations here in Poland began airing the "My Little Pony and Friends" and "My Little Pony Tales" (up until that point, the only way you could watch these shows was on VHS tapes available at your local video rental). I find it really funny, because the show was meant to market the G1 line... I beat this disappointed a lot of kids. XD

Actually they did this quite a few times with other shows intended to market some line of toys: this is why, even though I wasn't born in the 80s, I still consider stuff like "He-Man", "She-Ra" and "Carebears" to be part of my childhood. I may not have had the toys, but I still did get to see cartoons with them. :D 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal