collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: @_@ Tornadoes... question(s)  (Read 2671 times)

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
Re: @_@ Tornadoes... question(s)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »
Oooh, I'll share one of ours too! This one was about a half mile from my house. Thankfully I was in CT at the time.

http://youtu.be/UgwJfoZ-12c

My parents actually came down the week after that happened, and we took a tour of the damage. It was quite scary. The highway wasn't even cleaned up yet!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 08:42:13 PM »
Just to put you at ease, July is not tornado season in Indiana. I'm sure a fluke one has happened in July, but we usually only have tornadoes in the spring months (March-May) and even then they aren't very common. I wouldn't be overly worried about running into one. I grew up in Indiana and I've never seen a tornado, or had anyone I've personally know have any property damage due to one. :)

^This. I've lived here all my life and I've never seen one, though I do understand your fear because I'm terrified of storms as well.

But don't worry, the chances of anything bad happening at that time in that area are slim to none. If there is an emergency, us pony people will stick together and help each other out, I know it! But it's more likely that our days there will be more perfect than perfect. :)

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 10:30:07 PM »

On my street, you can tell who the true Okies are.  When the sirens go off, we all go outside to look at the sky!

:lmao:  How true this is! 

I wouldn't worry, July isn't tornado season, that's usually march-may.  :)  We always get loads of warnings, and I've seen some pretty nasty thunderstorms with high winds, but the worst I've been thru, is we had some straight line winds pick the trampoline up and smash it into the back of our double wide, and snap the waterline in two.  Hello backyard swimming pool! XD  It also blew our gazebo into the road.
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 02:19:26 AM »
Actually, tornado season in this area (from Michigan) is June-August.  One of Michigan's worst tornado outbreaks happened in the first week of July 1997.

It really depends on the weather patterns.  If no major front is moving through, things will be fine.  However, a power cold front could make for an exciting trip.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+150)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 04:30:15 AM »
o man, a tornado would suck!...there would be My Little Ponies EVERYWHERE!!!!.....lol....funny, but not really...hehe ;)

Offline shimmer73083

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 06:56:10 PM »
o man, a tornado would suck!...there would be My Little Ponies EVERYWHERE!!!!.....lol....funny, but not really...hehe ;)

Lol it would almost be like finding money by the side of the road.

Offline Al-1701

• Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »

Assuming they're not impaled, decapitated, or have all their hair pulled out like Jim Cantore.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+150)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »
LOL.....could you imagine....lol....ahhh its raining ponies!!!

Offline Al-1701

• Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »
I went to my local storm spotter class today.  So I'm an official Skywarn storm spotter.  Though, my range is supposed to be southeast Michigan.

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 04:57:00 AM »
Tornado trouble can happen any time of year, but it's not likely you'll have any encounter.  It's the debris that is most of the trouble, and if you get into a strong system, you'll know because you won't be able to see through the rain on your windshield.  Indiana is super friendly almost everywhere you go. For heartland, they have some pretty big hearts down there and they're sugar sweet!  If in trouble or in doubt, just pull up to any old gas station or truck stop and wait out bad weather inside in good company.   :)

The one bit of other advice for drivers to be aware of is the pull-over law, because the police in Illinois and Indiana are rough stuff.  If you see any emergency vehicle stopped with lights on, slow down to 20 below the limit and move over.  Also be sure if you see roadwork signs, you stay at the construction zone speed limit- even if there's no one working.  (And if driving through Illinois-  our state tollways have super hefty fees now-  have some cash or an I-pass on hand.)   >_<   Here's a link to where you can find tolls and some speed cameras:  http://www.illinoisvirtualtollway.com
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:06:08 AM by Sugarberry »

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 03:46:56 AM »
  I'd make sure everyone I knew was ok and then go pony hunting in the debris! I've only seen a tornado once from far off distance. Southern Wisconsin gets tornadoes sometimes.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 05:40:02 PM »
On the other hand, I live in central California...and we've had a few tornados around here, where there aren't any sirens or anything.  Haha we still talk about the time one blew away the signal station at the train tracks, about 50 years ago. :P
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
Unless its really hot than the temps outside drops super fast than you should worry, but since summers are too hot in IN, and there is not many breaks in the heat, your chances are slim to none. I would be more worried about bringing sunblock, & making sure your air condtioner is charged up in your car, the citys get hotter than the country with all the concrete streets & buildings. I see more hurricane winds than tornados, but they are week time they get to IN. but if your looking for excitement watch children of the corn before driving through
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »
I'm gonna bring a tornado bucket to hold out and see if I can catch a Punzie in it ;-)

I currently live in Michigan but lived in both Carolinas and Virginia before this.  I've encountered tornado issues in each state, but never anything serious.  Most of the time it's been a funnel cloud that never actually touched down, and the ones that did touch down were pretty mild.  I know all of the things to do to seek shelter during one, but it doesn't help when my boyfriend chooses to stand outside on the porch and look for the cloud!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal