collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Show me melted ponies and other mistakes  (Read 4849 times)

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
Re: Show me melted ponies and other mistakes
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 01:20:47 AM »
Ooh.. I don't have a photo, but I recently learned what NOT to do when washing a magic message pony  :cry:

I was wearing gloves... didn't realise the water has got so hot... didn't realise my fingers were rubbing over her rump and voila... ruined perfectly good symbols.

It took a lot not to cry. Especially since she was a gift from a neighbour who was having a clear out - cool stuff like that NEVER happens and then I go and ruin the pony...

Sniff.

*hugs Marlin*  That sounds traumatic.  Actually, this whole thread is making me cringe.

I once shipped a mint SS Magic Star in red tissue paper.  Turnes out she was wet inside and arrived horribly stained at the other end.  I also threw out a baby FT toothbrush and toothpaste before I realized what they were :argh:

Pokestine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 03:47:16 AM »
This one might cheer everyone up a bit as it was just a mcdonalds pony I was customising. I'd removed her head and put it under a lamp to soften up the plastic in prep for giving her a head fin. I hadn't realised that she was actually touching the lamp so when I came back later she had a nice black spot. Good thing I was going to paint her anyway.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 04:52:17 AM »
I was replacing the tail on my first little flitter (she had a nice tail/haircut). While trying to get her tail out I shoved the screwdriver all the way through, washer was really loose but tail wouldn't pull out, if you're familiar with the inside it can be tricky navigation. Needless to say her tail hole is far from factory now...  :blink:
I've beheaded ponies by removing entire neck plugs a few times... :P
Ripped out multiple plugs when removing hair... :(
I'm not gentle.  :devious:   They must be cleaned then restored.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »
My very first baby pony was fancy pants "hearts N dots" I used odo Ban to clean her body and stripped the blush right off her..and it yellowed  :cry:

The other was baby "puddles" her tail poped out and I tried to pop her head off and riped it a bit, so I stoped and glued it back on.

I scrubbed the purl off my baby sea pony "Celebration."

I know I prob have more but I can't think of them.

Post Merge: February 22, 2013, 08:54:15 AM

Ooh, here's a mistake for you. I found a bunch of G1 ponies in a thrift shop recently, 25-50 cents apiece. I thought Tropical Sea Breeze had tail rust because it looked so dark at the base, and wrestled with her head trying to get it off. Ended up with a little hole in her neck where the soft plastic had just given up against me. If that wasn't bad enough, when I was wrestling with her tail washer to get her tail out, I tore her all along the base of her wing. I felt pretty bad at the time, tearing a pony up like that. She didn't even have tail rust! :redface:

Another one: I bought a Firefly a week or so back. When I got her I could see that there was black rust inside her hooves, so I popped her open. It looks like the rust was mostly removed, but not scrubbed out? Tossed her in an oxy clean bath for a few hours without thinking about her glitter symbols... They're really splotchy now. I still feel guilty. I don't think it even took care of any of the residual rust.

THANK GOD YOU POSTED THIS!
I was about to put moon stone in a oxy clean bath. So glade I dident now!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:54:15 AM by NamineEveningLight »
:accomplished:

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »
I wrecked a blind bag Lily Blossom by dunking her in a baby food jar of acetone to get her paint off (I wanted to make her into a certain gray pegasus).  I was horrified to discover that one of her ears became half melted and she has other damage too... >.<

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 09:38:31 AM »
I haven't done anything catastrophic to a pony before, but I did Oxyclean a couple of cancer-riffic ponies-- Twinkle Eyes, unfortunately, and it took the twinkle right off. Thankfully I found that opalescent nail polish restores the look quite nicely.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »
WOW!!! Some stories!!!!!

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »
Oh my...I have only done one thing that was stupid, but thankfully I didn't cry...

Bouquet...I got her off ebay with a nasty, snarled, discolored and generally disgusting appearance.  I grew up with brothers, so I thought, ah what the heck, will just scrub her clean inside and out, reroot and retail her and give her new life and a happy home.  Well...I realized a bit late just what kind of pony she was.  >.<  I managed to get her head off completely (quite the task), and saw all the mechanics inside...I hid her away so DH wouldn't laugh at my pony botching, and pulled her out of my "to be fixed" pile last week.  She got her hair detangled and it's rather pretty now.  Needs to be flatironed and defrizzed, but other than the fact her head and body are still separate, she looks better!  xD 

Anyone ever had any success with those ponies or are they a lost cause? And would it be truly awful to just glue Bouquet's head back on?  I won't care if it doesn't turn...I just want her in one piece now! 

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 10:54:56 AM »
Oh my...I have only done one thing that was stupid, but thankfully I didn't cry...

Bouquet...I got her off ebay with a nasty, snarled, discolored and generally disgusting appearance.  I grew up with brothers, so I thought, ah what the heck, will just scrub her clean inside and out, reroot and retail her and give her new life and a happy home.  Well...I realized a bit late just what kind of pony she was.  >.<  I managed to get her head off completely (quite the task), and saw all the mechanics inside...I hid her away so DH wouldn't laugh at my pony botching, and pulled her out of my "to be fixed" pile last week.  She got her hair detangled and it's rather pretty now.  Needs to be flatironed and defrizzed, but other than the fact her head and body are still separate, she looks better!  xD 

Anyone ever had any success with those ponies or are they a lost cause? And would it be truly awful to just glue Bouquet's head back on?  I won't care if it doesn't turn...I just want her in one piece now!

I've actually been working on a tailless Twisty Tail, figuring out the mechanism and preparing to give her a new mane and tail. (Turns out BnGs can get rusty inside just like every other pony... It would just take a really long time to become visible.) I certainly don't think that they're a lost cause. If you can put her together correctly, she'll work fine. :)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 11:08:14 AM »

I've actually been working on a tailless Twisty Tail, figuring out the mechanism and preparing to give her a new mane and tail. (Turns out BnGs can get rusty inside just like every other pony... It would just take a really long time to become visible.) I certainly don't think that they're a lost cause. If you can put her together correctly, she'll work fine. :)

Ooh really?  Very nice!  I would love to just get rid of the mechanism inside and have her as a normal pony, but I imagine that's not possible, so I intend to at least get her looking pretty again!  I think she is a very underrated pony that deserves love...all the BnGs are!

PandoraFox

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 11:11:47 AM »

Actually the Pony Preservation project has some informatin on the mechanics of a Brush 'n Grow pony.
http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/misc.html#MechanizedParts
That might be useful to both of you?

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »

Ooh really?  Very nice!  I would love to just get rid of the mechanism inside and have her as a normal pony, but I imagine that's not possible, so I intend to at least get her looking pretty again!  I think she is a very underrated pony that deserves love...all the BnGs are!

Hypothetically, you could cut the plastic mechanism out of her head and body. I've spent hours and hours working to remove the head mechanism so that I can rehair Twisty Tail. I think there's a high risk of cutting through the pony, though. If you decide to do that, be careful! The plastic is really glued in there tight.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 11:29:47 AM »
In the days well before magic erasers were around my acetone was replaced with another nail polish remover... which was a little yellow. I didn't notice and removed a mark off a blue bodied baby and ended up with a green stain left behind. SO MAD.

I've bought ponies too with others failed fixes. Found a baby with a remove-zit mark (bleached circle) at a vintage toy shop and a wave-jumper sea-pony online with the same thing. :( The baby I bought to use as a "what not to do" example for my site.... the seapony I cleaned VERY well with a degreaser more then once to halt any further damage and attempted to tint the bleached spot. I'm still trying to find a product(dye) I can spot tint her with that will take.

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
See these beautiful vintage (although bait) baby G1s?

They got a little acetone bath to help dissolve their paint/stains and also their neck seal.

I guess you really can't tell from this picture too well- but one melted completely and another will be good for nothing but a zombie pony custom.

It was traumatizing.

I had such a good laugh at the pic.  They look like one of those preserved olives on the kosher food section.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »
Ooh.. I don't have a photo, but I recently learned what NOT to do when washing a magic message pony  :cry:

I was wearing gloves... didn't realise the water has got so hot... didn't realise my fingers were rubbing over her rump and voila... ruined perfectly good symbols.

It took a lot not to cry. Especially since she was a gift from a neighbour who was having a clear out - cool stuff like that NEVER happens and then I go and ruin the pony...

Sniff.

I know how that feels! That happened to me, but the worst part is.. It wasnt my pony. I was helping my friend clean her first ponies, she just started collecting. I was quite new to collecting too and I didnt know how easily Magic message symbols can be ruined. Her head was stuck, and I was trying to get it off (with hot water). I did get it off, but also rubbed one of the symbols away. I felt so bad.. She kept saying it was okay because she didnt know about it either, but it doesnt change the fact that I ruined her pony.  :cry:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal