collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monofiber!  (Read 962 times)

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
Monofiber!
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:10:18 AM »
Alright guys and gals, I've been rehairing a pony with some monofiber, my first try with this hair, and I thought it would be a good idea to have some place to share all of our tips, tricks, and other advice for using this lovely hair.

I have seen members mention that this hair is easier to use when wet. I'm going to add onto this the fact that I find that this hair dries fairly quickly, so I had an easier time keeping it wet when I kept leaving the hair I wasn't hairing with in a small bowl of water.
Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Monofiber!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:54:25 AM »
A very important tip I have is, after you're finished rerooting, pour boiling water over the pony to set the hair. Hot water will not work! It has to be at a rolling boil. I initially hated the hair because I couldn't get it to style properly, but after I poured boiling water on it, it lays nice and pretty!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:07:11 AM »
Thank you for posting this thread! I will definitely keep an eye out because I so want to try monofiber after feeling how amazing it is :D

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 08:10:01 PM »
This is fantastic. I just got my order full of delicious, silky monofiber and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm looking for all the tips I can get.

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 07:30:07 AM »
I've finished rehairing two ponies so far with monofiber. My second attempt went much better.

I used a slightly "larger" contained to leave the hair in. A shallow tupperware container. Basically, I tried to have enough space that the hair didn't have to overlap in the water. This cut down on the number of tangles I had, which cut down on the amount of hair I had to throw out due to tangles.

I also only worked with about half a hank at a time. Less hair to pull from=less hair to get tangled.

For the second pony, a g3, I used only one color (with a few accent plugs of a second color). I used 2 hanks of hair for the mane and tail. This was only working with the plugs and tail as the pony came. So if you like your hair thicker, you're probably going to need at least 3 hanks of hair.
Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
I did my first rehair with monofiber recently and ended up having to remove the hair from the head (I messed up and the hair wasn't glued down like I needed) . I heed a bottle of water at my desk to spray the hair with when I need to wet it again.

Also I found that it is pretty much enough to rehair a G4 if you don't plan on giving the tail more hair than normal, but if you plan on more hair for the tail buy more than one hank. I need to buy several more for the ponies I need to work on XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Katgyrl

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Just a pony and her sewing machine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »
I've rehaired two ponies in monofiber and half a barbie now. I LOVE how silky it all is. That's a great tip Panda to pour boiling water over the hair, I just kept trying to dip it in different ways but that sounds much cleverer.

I just keep my hair on a paper towel and keep a little bowl of water nearby that I dip my fingertips into every time I go to sepparate another plug, then wet the whole plug again by dipping my fingers in the water and run it over the hair. I do this with nylon too (I'm fairly fastidious and hate wasting hair) but I find I have to do it more often with the monofiber since it doesn't seem to soak up the water like nylon does. And I also only work with half a hank at a time.

I however think I only used one hank to rehair my G3. I blended two colors together but I was left with what seemed like a whole hank afterwards and the mane and tail don't seem thin to me (and I'm picky about that). I did not add any plugs either, so if you like an even thicker mane you'd definitely need more than one hank.

I'd love tips for styling. I boil-styled both ponies, but it's a bit tricky since the hair is so slippery. With the second pony I wrapped the hair around her body and secured with strips of scrap fabric instead of my usual paper towels, since I could get a more secure grip with the fabric. That helped a lot.

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried baking thier pony with the monofiber hair already in? I thought I remember seeing somewhere that you could?

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 10:59:15 AM »
I use a spray bottle of water when styling it too :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal