collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: please stop trying to defraud the post office  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
Re: please stop trying to defraud the post office
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 12:35:20 PM »
Woah... I have a few of these boxes that have come up to me from the US, and I thought it was A-OK to use them again. Good to know before I shipped anything in one!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »
Yes this is against po rules. You are not allowed to use their boxes this way.

Post Merge: February 18, 2013, 12:57:28 PM

Priority boxes are FREE but they are NOT to be re-used...  the Post Office has stated this a number of times...
Well I don't think the PO can really enforce this, nor have I ever seen them try. I reuse priority boxes all the time (to ship items with priority mail) and no one at any post office has ever said anything about it...

I actually have seen them enforce it at the postal window.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:57:28 PM by tulagirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 01:16:57 PM »
If you receive a Priority box in the mail and reuse it as a Priority box it is allowed.  I have done it many times. They do not care as long as the box is being used for what it was intended for, which is only for Priority mail.  It is not against any policy to do so.

What they do not allow in which the OP has stated is that you are not allowed to take a Priority Box and cover it in brown paper/etc. and cover the fact that it is a Priority Box. Then ship it off as First Class or Standard Post. 
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
Yeah, reusing it for another Priority package is okay, AFAIK.  But not trying to "trick" the PO by sending it as first class.  :/

The grocery store is a great source of empty cardboard boxes you can use for first class.

Safest to put opaque shipping tape or paper over any kind of logo or writing on them, though.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »
The Post office has been enforcing this rule (when they see it) since they first came out with the boxes-  they must lose a ton on packaging materials and tape (which they also used to provide for free).   

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »
I learned a long time ago to not use them boxes. Its so easy to find free boxes that will not make the postal office lose money!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 07:14:14 AM »
Yes this is against po rules. You are not allowed to use their boxes this way.

Post Merge: February 18, 2013, 12:57:28 PM

Priority boxes are FREE but they are NOT to be re-used...  the Post Office has stated this a number of times...
Well I don't think the PO can really enforce this, nor have I ever seen them try. I reuse priority boxes all the time (to ship items with priority mail) and no one at any post office has ever said anything about it...

I actually have seen them enforce it at the postal window.

I am talking about re-using priority boxes to ship priority mail, though. Surely they can't stop you from doing that. LBS seemed to imply that the post office does not want the boxes to be re-used at all, but I've never seen or heard of the post office stopping people from reusing the boxes as long as they were still using priority services.

Offline Vertefae

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 07:24:48 AM »
You can reuse priority boxes for priority mail. :) re-use, recycle.

In a totally unrelated note, I got a UPS shipment yesterday that used a priority USPS box. I was like "WHAT?!" so confused.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 07:29:40 AM »
A very educational post, thank you for posting this thread! :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »
I've just been lucky... The people working at my post office are extremely nice, and they don't enforce it at all. One time, my mom pretty much told them, yes, that's a priority box under the wrapping paper (good going, Mom), and the PO worker's response was "shhhhh" and let me ship it first class. XD To be honest, I never really saw what I was doing as defraud, or even dishonest... I just figured that, since most of my boxes were reused and in bad condition, covering them up in brown paper would be the best, and anyway, first class is a lot less expensive. But if my swap partners are going to have to pay extra for that, then I won't do it anymore.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »
Vertafae - The USPS does hire some things out to UPS - I'm sure that's what happened in the case of you getting a Priority box from UPS.

Offline Iris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://shadesofrain.deviantart.com/
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »
Nah, we just don't give a crap what box you bring to us at UPS.  As long as it has a UPS label on it the box doesn't matter.  I've seen cereal boxes, Fedex boxes, USPS boxes.  I've even seen people not even box an item but just like... put some tape or bubble wrap on it and slap a sticker on it.

Offline Vertefae

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
Vertafae - The USPS does hire some things out to UPS - I'm sure that's what happened in the case of you getting a Priority box from UPS.

I didn't think of that, that makes perfect sense too.

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 11:23:35 AM »
LOL @ This Thread!  I do it all the time.  I know it's "frowned on," but hey, I KNOW I have shipped USPS enough times over the years to have paid a few people's salaries, so I don't feel bad about taking some cardboard here and there - ESPECIALLY when it comes to protecting my Customer's items.

I think what you may be suffering from, ClosetAvalanche, is a nosy delivery driver.  They get that way when you are ordering a lot of items.

Sorry for your troubles though.  I think out of all the times I have ever done that, only one time have I ever had it caught to where the buyer was asked to come up with money, and rather than message me, that buyer refused the package and I had to re-ship it.
It was no biggie to me though, and it really is not going to stop me from doing it in the future.  When it happened to me, I was shipping some more delicate accessories, and I could not see charging $6 for Priority on a few items totaling around $7.

As far as I'm concerned, the mass-production and subsequent misuse of a few boxes is NOT what is tanking the United States Postal Service financially.  From the conversations I have had with my Route Carrier, there are a lot of budgetary wastes and misuse of funds/time/etc.

And lastly, I don't know how many of you actually go to the Post Office, but the "ReadyPost" supplies they sell (and I ALWAYS see someone with a freshly-bought box whenever I go there) Are the most OVERPRICED boxes - EVER.  So, they more than make up for a few hundred misused pieces of cardboard, that cost them a few cents to manufacture.

Not to mention the fact that the only boxes they leave out for customers at the Post Office are Flat-Rate, and most of the time, what is being put in those boxes could ship for less as non-Flat Rate Priority, so the USPS is making even more money there. 

Bottom line, as long as your sellers are not sticking you with the additional shipping, I would not worry about their practices.  I know it's annoying though. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:35:58 AM by Stormy31685 »

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »
The USPS does hire some things out to UPS - I'm sure that's what happened in the case of you getting a Priority box from UPS.

I've gotten AVON orders that were supposed to be shipped by the USPS, delivered by UPS. It was a PITA as the time because I was living inside the grand canyon natinal park. There is a USPS office there but for UPS, I had no physical address. All UPS/FEDEX deliveries went to the company's warehouse and I had to go get them there

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal