collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Really? To call her lifeless?  (Read 4914 times)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
Re: Really? To call her lifeless?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 04:59:33 AM »
I wasn't sure if this would be in Off Topic or Pony Corral, because it does have to do with ponies...Very sorry if it's in the wrong spot, mods.

I guess I needed another reminder as to why I hate about 90% of people.

Saw this article a while back, about this woman who is a very devoted pony collector and has 1000+, and entire pony room, and her husband and family just buy her ponies as gifts now. She has a large collection of customs and plushies, the pony room has a spare bed with sheets and pony curtains on the windows, all that. Like super awesome crazed collector.

And.

The comments for that article. People are calling her lifeless, a loser, she's "probably single", wasting her money, needs a life, is mental, needs help, etc. Honestly, you're going out of your way to criticize her for doing something that makes her happy, while you, what, plant your fat arse on the couch and call her lifeless? I am aware of what trolls are, but sometimes people aren't trolls, they're just flat out jerks with nothing better to do than hate on people. I don't ever hate on people for what they do or like, we all have our own things. Mine happens to be metal and toy collecting, who should judge me? They don't know me. We all have our little things and people who get all up in arms about other things that other people that -they do not know or care about- like, and to call them lifeless, that's pathetic. I really hate people. xD

Sorry for the rant, but that actually pissed me off. Not many things on the internet have the power to, because I don't care what people think, I really don't, but that did- Because the majority of people are stupid jerks and live to tear down the rest of us. ^^

I absolutely 100% agree with you!!!

Post Merge: February 09, 2013, 05:02:58 AM

I think that might have been me LOL! :P Yeah it was pretty horrific at the time but then I decided (with the help of fab pony peeps here) that they're are SO not worth it! If they're taking time to make nasty comments about others who they don't even know then they're the saddos (and worse thing I can't say on here :P )

Sarah xx

I was thinking it might have been you Sarah :) the thing is it just goes to prove that those waste of space idiots do not have a clue about you!!! You're a normal girl with a normal partner living a normal life, but collect ponies.

Sometimes I think non collectors think we don't have jobs, and sit around playing with our ponies all day!!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:02:58 AM by partypony566 »
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 05:15:04 AM »
I think that might have been me LOL! :P Yeah it was pretty horrific at the time but then I decided (with the help of fab pony peeps here) that they're are SO not worth it! If they're taking time to make nasty comments about others who they don't even know then they're the saddos (and worse thing I can't say on here :P )

Sarah xx

Yeah, this definitely sounds like you, Sarah. :) I have to admit, if I read this article before I myself became a pony collector and started engaging in conversation with lots of other pony collectors here on the arena (started by YOU, actually, because I didn't join until you asked me if I was a member here, lol), I probably would have thought the same thing. 

What people don't know scares them.  If they don't understand it, it must be taboo or crazy.  I think your pony room is beautiful, bright, and clean.  I would probably ask to sleep there, too. ;) And I would ask you all about your various customs, who made them, etc. etc.  You did the right thing by making the decision to ignore those comments.  If the article was about you and YOU can let the comments roll off your back, then certainly the rest of us can as well. 

I'm sure there are those of us here who are lazy bums with no jobs, but many (and I venture to say most!) pony collectors I've met here have plenty of outside interests and are actually some of the nicest, intelligent, successful, and talented people I've ever come into contact with.  You, Sarah, are one of them.  And thanks for introducing me to the arena. :)

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 05:21:17 AM »
Count me in with the hate of 90% of people too.  :P

I've never felt so well understood in my life! love you guys!

Anyways, yes, I remember when the article about Sarah just appeared and we were all so happy and proud of her and then we saw the comments :S But to me, that was the equivalent of calling a guy who plays DnD or video games a loser that never gets laid or some crap like that. It's all jealousy because we actually have fun in our lives without being self-destructive and conforming to some ridiculous rules of the society. It's jealousy because we are happy and secure enough being ourselves
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Falconaitae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 05:32:05 AM »
The good thing about beeing adult is, that the older you are, the less you need to care about other people opinons... at least, this is how I see it :)
My pony blog
It's better to be a famous drunkard, than an anonymous alcoholic

Offline SALTY5621

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Tastes good in your mouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 06:36:20 AM »
i hate everyone stupid enough to insult people for the things they like or do. seriously, mind your own business! it has nothing to do with you!

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 06:59:06 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about this.  I usually avoid reading the comments on most sites because they're often so mean-spirited.  Unhappy people post these comments and cowardly hide behind the anonymity of the internet.  As someone said earlier, don't let this ruin your faith in humanity--the 90%, or more like the 99%, wouldn't waste their time writing something like that even if the thought ran through their heads.

I also agree that their are pretty widespread cultural biases against adult toy collecting.  There are some exceptions--I think most people wouldn't think twice about a happy grandpa setting up model trains in the garage.  But most other toys, particularly figure toys, are considered an odd collectible by many, something that you only do if you have nothing else to do.  I remember at the end of the Forty-Year-Old Virgin (can't stand that movie, but figured that out too late while watching it!) that he gets rid of all his action figures at the end when he has a romantic relationship.  While I do think any type of hobby has the potential to pull people away from human relationships, it's important for people to realize that adult toy collecting can also just be something fun to do! 

BTW, does anyone remember when Dr. Phil had an adult male Care Bear collector on his show?  I do think the guy was on to be cast as a bit of an oddball, but Dr. Phil (not that I consider him much of an authority) did say that he didn't see anything wrong with having a bunch of Care Bears.  He did, however, add that there was a problem if the guy was acting things out with his Care Bears, more or less "playing" with them, because he said that was something children do to figure out the world around them, and adults should be past that stage of development.  I'm sure there's room for disagreement there. 

So continue to love your ponies, but please don't hate the world for not always understanding :)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 07:19:25 AM »
You know, I have also noticed that these people who see these collections immediately think something like, "That person must be rich!" or "That person probably made themselves broke buying all that stuff."

Non-collectors don't realize that a collection doesn't just pop up out of the floor one day when you deposit the right amount of money into it. Collections build slowly over the course of many years and if this woman's collection is so substantial then I am sure she's in a slightly older age bracket, which means she has had more time and more funds to put toward her collection.

Some people pay $5 a shot at the bar every weekend and they call that living. This woman would rather spend that $5 on a pony for her collection and there isn't a thing wrong with that. People are just being jerks because they want to be jerks without the risk of getting their faces punched in.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Wadatsumi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 07:25:45 AM »
Count me in with the hate of 90% of people too.  :P

I've never felt so well understood in my life! love you guys!

At least we're here for one another even if it is just online....It's allways good to have someone to agree with you.  :grouphug:

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »
I try not to read comments on news articles and such, people are so mean when they get some degree of anonymity on the Internet.

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 07:50:04 AM »
Aw thanks Lochness! :hug:

@Partypony, yeah I got that impression from the commenters too, that they think that ponies is all we do, we don't have anything else in our lives. I think it's an odd assumption to make; after all we all have interests and things that we do but they wouldn't assume that someone who enjoyed collecting shoes or handbags, or someone who liked football spent ALL of their time doing that would they? But yet you get something slightly off the main stream and suddenly that person is a freak or a loser with no life?? Dumbasses! :silly:

Yep, I have a job, a group of awesome friends, a loving family, and lo and behold I do other stuff too like go to the cinema or the pub with family and friends! Shocking huh?? ;) haha

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »
Non-collectors don't realize that a collection doesn't just pop up out of the floor one day when you deposit the right amount of money into it. Collections build slowly over the course of many years and if this woman's collection is so substantial then I am sure she's in a slightly older age bracket, which means she has had more time and more funds to put toward her collection.

THIS! I get this a lot! My retort that works for people that like hitting up drive-thrus multiple times daily for a treat fix, or otherwise will impulsive buy consumable luxury items they don't need daily.

"Yeah, so it's 50K. I didn't drop that cash all at once,  each item is a physical reminder "I spent $5 HERE!".

When you buy your daily coffees, a fast food lunch you didn't need or bar drinks they are consumed and forgotten. What if you had a token for each one purchased over the last 15 years with the dollar amounts you spent printed on each token. Then, you collected them all in a big room, what would it add up to you figure?" I've known people will then figure out what they spend on this stuff each day. Then discover they spent hundreds/thousands more a year then I ever spend on my collecting. :)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 08:35:25 AM »
Aw thanks Lochness! :hug:

@Partypony, yeah I got that impression from the commenters too, that they think that ponies is all we do, we don't have anything else in our lives. I think it's an odd assumption to make; after all we all have interests and things that we do but they wouldn't assume that someone who enjoyed collecting shoes or handbags, or someone who liked football spent ALL of their time doing that would they? But yet you get something slightly off the main stream and suddenly that person is a freak or a loser with no life?? Dumbasses! :silly:

Yep, I have a job, a group of awesome friends, a loving family, and lo and behold I do other stuff too like go to the cinema or the pub with family and friends! Shocking huh?? ;) haha

Wait...but we collect ponies....,so SURELY we don't do normal stuff like HAVE A LIFE?! XD
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

MimiTheMuse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 08:47:48 AM »
Stuff like this makes me really sad too. With so much evil and bad in this world, if someone has a hobby that encourages them to be happy and creative and brings them a lot of enjoyment and they can afford it without breaking themselves...why should I judge? Geez, people suck so much sometimes.

I am turning 31 in April. My friends and family that know me will get me dolls, ponies, and gift cards to places like Toys R Us and Barnes and Nobles. I like to dress pretty, but I'd rather buy jeans at Wal-Mart so I can afford toys and books and tech. I'm a geek, I'm a book worm, I'm hyper active and I have a passion for toy collecting. And you know what? I'm not married, so I haven't moved out of my parent's house so I can save money towards my dream home - a ten acre homestead!

What does society say about this? You know what, I don't care! I feel very confident in myself, and the funny thing is, most people accept my toy collecting, geeky, eternally optimistic ways as who I am and the best ones love me for it anyways. :)

Life is too short to be anybody but yourself! So I think people should follow their passions! And the naysayers? Let them be miserable and bitter...'cause I'm not letting ANYONE rain on my parade. :)

((Oh, and a side note, I've collect one type of toy or another my whole life, starting with ponies in 2003 and I've only ever had one guy I dated say something. And I told him 'hey, you play video games' and that shut him up quick. :P ))

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 09:04:59 AM »

Sarah xx

I just have to say this.. That article was the reason I started collecting ponies.  :biggrin: It made me remember all the ponies I had when I was a kid. So, I guess I should thank you! You have such an awesome collection!

And you are right, everyone should just ignore those nasty comments. Im actually very proud im collecting something "special", if someone has something bad to say about it, I dont really care. Its what I love to do.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »
Haters gonna hate. They don't just hate collectors, they hate lots of things and people. They spend their lives looking for the bad and finding it.

I'm so happy I'm not them and I do feel sorry for 90% of people. I'm so glad for this community :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal