collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Really? To call her lifeless?  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Really? To call her lifeless?
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:05:32 PM »
I wasn't sure if this would be in Off Topic or Pony Corral, because it does have to do with ponies...Very sorry if it's in the wrong spot, mods.

I guess I needed another reminder as to why I hate about 90% of people.

Saw this article a while back, about this woman who is a very devoted pony collector and has 1000+, and entire pony room, and her husband and family just buy her ponies as gifts now. She has a large collection of customs and plushies, the pony room has a spare bed with sheets and pony curtains on the windows, all that. Like super awesome crazed collector.

And.

The comments for that article. People are calling her lifeless, a loser, she's "probably single", wasting her money, needs a life, is mental, needs help, etc. Honestly, you're going out of your way to criticize her for doing something that makes her happy, while you, what, plant your fat arse on the couch and call her lifeless? I am aware of what trolls are, but sometimes people aren't trolls, they're just flat out jerks with nothing better to do than hate on people. I don't ever hate on people for what they do or like, we all have our own things. Mine happens to be metal and toy collecting, who should judge me? They don't know me. We all have our little things and people who get all up in arms about other things that other people that -they do not know or care about- like, and to call them lifeless, that's pathetic. I really hate people. xD

Sorry for the rant, but that actually pissed me off. Not many things on the internet have the power to, because I don't care what people think, I really don't, but that did- Because the majority of people are stupid jerks and live to tear down the rest of us. ^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Bellevi

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Really? To call her lifeless?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:14:23 PM »
It's something to take in stride. If somebody has a problem with collecting, then they don't have to collect. I think a lot of hostile comments are from people who don't understand it. Years of stereotyping certain hobbies like collecting toys, comic books, etc... lead people to assume that somebody associated with said hobby must not have a life. It's not worth getting worked up over when some people just need to be informed so they can look at it from a different perspective. Even if they don't understand it in the end, like I said... If they don't like collecting, nobody's making them do it.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »
A friend was on TV for her collection.... the hatefilled comments people left on the story. It was upsetting. 

MOST don't get it, some are jealous,  they're not jealous of the ponies but that someone else has something fun that makes them happy and they have the money and time to do that hobby. There are a lot of bitter people in the world who will find something nasty to say when they envy someone else.

Offline bbassel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:58:09 PM »
That is really sad : (
There are so many horrible things in the world today that people should be worrying about instead of some woman's pony collection.  As long as she is happy and at peace with herself and her life than all the power to her.

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:24:33 AM »
Yup, I hate 90% of people, too. This is yet another reason why xD

We all judge others in many ways. But, to me, there are limits between have an opinion and being plain stupid out in the open. Yes, they are jealous in a way because, unlike most of the world, people that collect something have a hobby that makes them happy. People nowadays don't have hobbies - they are too lazy to even bother and society doesn't help either.

I could go on and on, but there's no point, really. xD

But hey, ponies and metal \m/ there's no better things ! ;D

Wadatsumi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:35:58 AM »
Count me in with the hate of 90% of people too.  :P

I allways was bullied from girls because i liked Videogames since my childhood and nobody understood me and said that isn't normal for a girl, i waste my life etc. But this really makes me wonder sometimes why they do this? And why are we collectors so tollerant with other people?

I think it's because these people have nothing else to do with their lives. If you don't have a hobby, just go out, shop for clothes and watch TV - this is really borring in time! Maybe they try pulling other happier people down so that they feel better. Like your old lonely neighbour next door who allways knows the best gossip about anyone, even if it's not true - so he can give his borring live a thrill.

So these people really have nothing better to do than this.

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 12:44:20 AM »
Unfortunately, this is always going to happen. Back when I used to collect pokemon, I remember a few members of the community I was a part of had articles written up about them for their substantial collections, and the comments were always pretty vicious. It has always made me hesitant to share my own collections outside of related communities, even if they're not that big. I think it's the same for any major collection, whether it be ponies or comic books or movie memorabilia. Hopefully those people ignore the comments as best they can and keep doing what they love!

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:55:55 AM »
Unfortunately, its the internet and vicious things will always be said because everyone has an opinion.  You gotta laugh at the trolls, move on, and continue doing what makes you happy.

Moonracer

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 02:40:43 AM »
How awful... :(

Well, I guess all those stereotypes regarding people with hobbies (toy-collecting in particular), as being "no-life losers", "manchildren", "basement dwellers" and the like all stem from the one source, which is the way society views adults. Most, if not all, think that when entering adulthood, people should all fulfill the same expectation: be independent of their parents, have a secure job, have a rich social life etc.. But most important of all, in this overall perception, adults should no longer be interested in things like toys, video games and the like, as those things are reserved, exclusively for children/young teens.

Those things are often considered to be the norm. Now if someone does things like playing video games, collecting ponies etc., this tends to get negative reactions from people, because, in their mind, this is something that strays from the said norm, something fully grown and mature adults shouldn't be doing, because it's considered childish and immature.   

That's a really, really sad and at the same time really annoying (to say the least) thing, that's likely not going to change in the next few years. Although given a large, and still growing, number of people who are into something that breaks the mold, it's quite possible that it might do so, sooner or later.

I personally think it's great if people find enjoyment in stuff like toy-collecting, watching old cartoons, playing video games, reading comicbooks and the like. If people like doing those things, then let them - they don't harm anyone with it, so why should this be such a big deal? People really should stop antagonizing people who's hobbies don't fit with the general picture of an adult and them as some sort of threat to the balance of society.

Me personally: if I were to recieve such a comment, I wouldn't really be bothered by that, because I know those things are not true. It's just some unimaginative trolls spewing their hate for personal enjoyment and self-esteem boost. Plus it's not for these people to decide what I, and many others, should do in our lives. 

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 03:29:56 AM »
I think that might have been me LOL! :P Yeah it was pretty horrific at the time but then I decided (with the help of fab pony peeps here) that they're are SO not worth it! If they're taking time to make nasty comments about others who they don't even know then they're the saddos (and worse thing I can't say on here :P )

Sarah xx

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 03:57:47 AM »
I will NEVER understand why it makes people happy to say horrible things and put others down. It would make me feel terrible to do that to someone else! And sadly, it's so easy to do when you're anonomous on the internet. Though people are becoming more rude in person too... I guess culture is changing? Well, I'm gad she's doing what she loves and I hope she won't let those nasty comments get to her :)
My Wish List

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 04:14:07 AM »
Well I think people relate that with hoarding, and hoarding has all sorts of negative feels attached to it. But there's a fine like between hoarding and collecting.

Hoarding is when things are piled up everywhere, mouldy, dusty, dirty, grime filled and generally like a trash like. Collecting is like the lady you described, neat and orderly and well loved and cared for. I think people who don't have hobbies and or collections can't differentiate between the two.

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 04:42:01 AM »
That's sad... I'd seen on TRU facebook some little girl wrote "I like twilight I think she's pretty with wings" and someone commented "Typical Stupid little girl"

Honestly I get that there are many people out there that are against the new look but at least talk amongst yourselves and not say something to a little girl.. -_- of course a girl that young doesn't need facebook but that's my opinion.

Clarabel Sapphire

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 04:45:55 AM »
How awful... :(

Well, I guess all those stereotypes regarding people with hobbies (toy-collecting in particular), as being "no-life losers", "manchildren", "basement dwellers" and the like all stem from the one source, which is the way society views adults. Most, if not all, think that when entering adulthood, people should all fulfill the same expectation: be independent of their parents, have a secure job, have a rich social life etc.. But most important of all, in this overall perception, adults should no longer be interested in things like toys, video games and the like, as those things are reserved, exclusively for children/young teens.

Those things are often considered to be the norm. Now if someone does things like playing video games, collecting ponies etc., this tends to get negative reactions from people, because, in their mind, this is something that strays from the said norm, something fully grown and mature adults shouldn't be doing, because it's considered childish and immature.   

That's a really, really sad and at the same time really annoying (to say the least) thing, that's likely not going to change in the next few years. Although given a large, and still growing, number of people who are into something that breaks the mold, it's quite possible that it might do so, sooner or later.

I personally think it's great if people find enjoyment in stuff like toy-collecting, watching old cartoons, playing video games, reading comicbooks and the like. If people like doing those things, then let them - they don't harm anyone with it, so why should this be such a big deal? People really should stop antagonizing people who's hobbies don't fit with the general picture of an adult and them as some sort of threat to the balance of society.

Me personally: if I were to recieve such a comment, I wouldn't really be bothered by that, because I know those things are not true. It's just some unimaginative trolls spewing their hate for personal enjoyment and self-esteem boost. Plus it's not for these people to decide what I, and many others, should do in our lives.

I couldn't have put it better myself  :iconclap:  I used to worry about what other people thought of me and the things I did.  The older I've got, the more I've realised that other people's opinions don't matter.  As long as what you do doesn't hurt anyone or anything, no-one has the right to criticise it.  :mad:

Happiness in life is hard enough to find in this day and age, so whatever gets you through is fine by me.  :thumb:

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 04:57:52 AM »
I know it's easy to say "don't let it bother you," but I've been there as well.  I read something and it just gets under my skin.  My husband is the calm type, which I really appreciate because he keeps me sane.  I think the thing to remember is, you don't know these people.  Don't let them have power over you with their ridiculous comments.  It may feel like they are all over the place, but truly they are the minority.  It's harder to avoid this kind of opinionated garbage on Facebook since the comments are being made by people I actually DO know, but when it comes to public forums where everyone is more or less anonymous, the comments are usually much more extreme.  I have determined to ignore them and it truly does a mind and body good.  These people win when you allow their ugly remarks to spread inside you like a disease.  Don't let it ruin your faith in humanity. 

:hug:

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal