collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Things to do in Indianapolis  (Read 2417 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
Re: Things to do in Indianapolis
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 12:53:17 AM »
I don't have many recommendations.  Only been to Indy once. I can guarantee my brothers and I will be revisiting the cigar bar we went to last time, though! That was a fun and classy place.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 03:30:10 PM »
Foxtale - the area the hotel in is very safe. However, I'm not sure how completely pedestrian friendly it is, having enver walked around there. It's a retail area, 100%, so there are a ton of shops and restaurants in all directions. If you're driving everything seems pretty close, but you might have a bit of a walk between different shopping areas.

Most of my restaurant recommendations aren't in that area as I don't venture north very often, but one place I really suggest checking out thats just down the street is the Taiwan Tea House (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/40/442567/restaurant/Northeast/Taiwan-Tea-House-Indianapolis) Their food is delicious, and very inexpensive. And they have excellent boba!

Also, if you like cupcakes, this place is a MUST http://www.theflyingcupcakebakery.com/ There's a location just down the street as well (82nd street.) Get the Red Velvet Elvis - I could live on this cupcake.

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
Cupcakes and chinese? NoD you are a woman after my own heart :heart:

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »
Foxtale - the area the hotel in is very safe. However, I'm not sure how completely pedestrian friendly it is, having enver walked around there. It's a retail area, 100%, so there are a ton of shops and restaurants in all directions. If you're driving everything seems pretty close, but you might have a bit of a walk between different shopping areas.

Most of my restaurant recommendations aren't in that area as I don't venture north very often, but one place I really suggest checking out thats just down the street is the Taiwan Tea House (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/40/442567/restaurant/Northeast/Taiwan-Tea-House-Indianapolis) Their food is delicious, and very inexpensive. And they have excellent boba!

Also, if you like cupcakes, this place is a MUST http://www.theflyingcupcakebakery.com/ There's a location just down the street as well (82nd street.) Get the Red Velvet Elvis - I could live on this cupcake.

Both of those place sound AMAZING! Thank you for the recommendations. :D

I won't have a car so I just need to prepare myself for how expensive getting downtown will be. I'm used to NYC where you can walk or subway virtually everywhere. :P

In case I do walk.. beside it not being pedestrian friendly, are there any "unsafe" areas to walk (like street crime wise)? Any neighborhoods to avoid?

Anyone going to see the fireworks on the 4th of July Downtown?

~Foxtale~

Offline NoDivision

• No Division Customs
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 02:23:52 AM »
Pretty much anywhere you can walk to within range of the hotel will be fine. Once you get south into town, well, Indy is a pretty mixed bag. There are pockets of rough areas right next to really really nice neighborhoods, and vice versa. Because of that it's pretty hard to give general areas to avoid. But I have and do live in and near some of the rougher areas and I have never felt unsafe walking anywhere. If you get downtown, the heart of the downtown area is really nice.

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 02:36:29 AM »
Marking this page to read later. Indy is so fun! & easy to get lost in!
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 03:15:24 AM »
There are pockets of rough areas right next to really really nice neighborhoods, and vice versa. Because of that it's pretty hard to give general areas to avoid.

That seems like pretty much the entire state actually, or at least the places I've been to. If anyone out there is using a GPS device, I know it could really come in handy if you find yourself in a not-so-nice area where you feel unsafe and you want to go someplace closer to the hotel. For the most part, Indianapolis is really nice though. I've been to big cities that were scarier.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 03:36:15 AM »
I noticed there was a Disney store within a few miles of the hotel. I think I'll go there before heading home, I have to drive pretty far if I want to go to one. Though google maps brought up a strip mall for the location so unsure if it exists or not.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Ruby, Sun, Ultra Moon, Lets Go Eevee  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 03:38:20 AM »
I noticed there was a Disney store within a few miles of the hotel. I think I'll go there before heading home, I have to drive pretty far if I want to go to one. Though google maps brought up a strip mall for the location so unsure if it exists or not.
Street view it! I always do that when going to a new place.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 04:20:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure the Disney store is in Circle Center Mall, which is right by the hotel. I forgot all about it! Maybe I'll make a point to hit it too. I need some more Wreck-It Ralph stuff in my life.

Offline Flutterswirl

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 04:44:45 AM »
For those who are interested, InConjunction is also going on that weekend. It's a nice general F&SF relaxicon- strong emphasis on writing and filmmaking this year, but also panels on everything from improvised costuming to 50 years of Doctor Who. Nice little art show and dealer room, as well.

inconjunction.org for further details.

Have fun at the MLP fair! I couldn't go but hope to enjoy it vicariously through those of you who could. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to *generalzoi\'s Pony Creator at dA for my avatar!

just visiting this planet! (Phl. 3:20)

Offline NoDivision

• No Division Customs
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 05:14:19 AM »
Circle Center mall is downtown, actually. The Disney Store is in the Castleton mall, which is a few miles east of the fair hotel. It's not walkable, but it's only a few minutes by car.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 05:20:52 AM »
Ah, thanks for clearing that up, ND. I know I've taken trips to all of the malls there before, but I guess I must have gotten them mixed up!

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 12:05:31 PM »
Ok so I have a little more time to post:
Some fun things in Indiana, We have some Great beautiful caves! Just stunning!

The childrens Musuem is SO MUCH FUN!! For ALL AGES! You cant go wrong there! I think its better than the zoo, plus in July its much cooler than the zoo.

Holiday world is great, every year they add a new ride so it is slowly growing. Its the first Amusment park here in US. I love the Christmas Theme of the town that it sits in. But keep in mind it is a small town! The waterpark is free. The drinks and sunscreen is free. The food is really not that expensive and is very well worth it. OH and they have a area in parking lot that is made for people trying to save money and bring your own food. I cant remember a year in my life that I have not been there.
It has some great camping ground near by Licoln State Park-It does have cabins, and campground at decent rates. I love it there & is the only place I have ever camped at. Its fun to see all of Licolns boyhood house and areas that you can visit. They have a lake to swim in, paddleboats, trails picnic areas.

Kings Island is near Indy, but I enjoyed Holiday world better. Unless its Halloween time. I love there Halloween Themes.

Chicago has the Wizard of Oz Park, and A Legoland.

Indiana also has Palio Peaks where you can ski & snow board, but Im thinking they are probley closed during summer months. But they do make their own snow and Ive seen it open in the spring time. Ive only been there once, it was nice. I just dont ski, but the snow tubing was fun!
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
Again, I definitely have to second Holiday World. I have some great childhood memories there and I am pretty sure they are getting a new ride this summer. Unrelated, but I also bought my childhood fakie and only surviving childhood pony there, so it will always have that for me. :frolic:

And great great idea for suggesting the caves, Tiffy. I do want to throw out though that they may not be a good idea for people who are sensitive to hot and cold. In fourth and fifth grade I had the same teacher, and we took field trips in the spring to Squire Boone Caverns (in Kentucky) and Marengo Cave in the spring when it was very hot. Both times I had a blast, but once I exited the caves, I developed a horrible headache and became very nauseous. It's likely that it had to do with the rapid temperature change of being in the hot outdoors, then in a cold cave, then hot again.

So just be very careful if you are prone to nausea or anything like that. Like I said, before I got sick I was having the time of my life. No other child, teacher, or parent chaperone reacted the same way I did (not even my mom, and she gets sick at everything!), so it may have been a rare thing or just a Rachel thing. But really, if you aren't so sensitive, it's really fun and a really fun thing to do with kids. There is also a restaurant right by Boon Squire that was apparently really good... I can't remember the name of it, but my teacher and her husband would make a point to hit the place every year they got the chance, but I was too sick to eat. I remember some kind of okay spaghetti.