collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Children and Pony Fair?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline BabyFishDesigns

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Captain Jack Pony
Children and Pony Fair?
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
Hi!  I'm thinking taking my girls (6 and 3 and major pony lovers) to the MLP Fair/Convention in Indy this year.  Has anyone taken children before?  Think they would enjoy it?  Any tips?  TIA!!!

(Side note, I'm also wanting to check it all out and to get a feel for going as a vendor next year.  I make custom upcycled clothes but would obviously do a bunch of Ready to Ship MLP stuff if I went in 2014.)

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
Re: Children and Pony Fair?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »
I'm wondering about this as well.  I have three small children, all boys but they love my ponies. I think I'm leaning towards leaving them with my husband that weekend so I will be able to browse the vendor booths and take as much time as I want.  I envision them knocking over ponies on tables or grabbing things (don't get me wrong, I don't let them do things like that but three kids are chaotic no matter the situation and a room full of toys is most likely kindling on the fire!)  I'd be curious to hear from members who have taken their children to the fair.  How did it go, were there activities to keep them busy etc.  I still think I'll be coming without them but this will help me make the most informed decision possible.  :satisfied:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:40:41 PM by cricket »

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
I don't have children, but from an adult-with-no-kids-selling-toys perspective, I LOVE seeing kids at the fair! I just so much joy out of selling ponies to little kids, especially as I had quite a lot of $1 ponies last year. And seeing the kids in costume, so awesome.

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
I don't have children myself, but many people brought theirs last year :) As someone who will be vending the only concerns I have are those cricket expressed, I wouldn't be very comfortable with small children handling some of my more expensive items or potentially messing things up on the table. I imagine though that if you watch them carefully and put in place a strict no touching rule it would be fine. I'd also recommend only bringing them one day, so you have plenty of time to yourself to shop  ^.^

All that being said, there were lots of kids activities last year! There was a coloring table set up with crayons and a mini game booth with candy prizes. There's also the costume contest, bingo and the sleepover (if they have that again) where we watch mlp movies. A lot of people will have baits or cheap G3's as well. All the kids there seemed to be having a great time  ^.^

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:42:40 PM »
I'll weigh in on the no-kids-but-selling-stuff viewpoint.  I also think it's great having kids there, and they seem to have a great time.  But please keep an eye on them.  We've had a couple of instances where we had to run after a kid who'd gotten too excited and grabbed something off our table (not like an - I'm going to take this without paying - kinda thing, but an -I'm so excited to see this character I want to run off and show mom and play with it - kinda thing.)

Elf

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »
I thought the kids are the Fair last year were great!  A few moms had big strollers and that wasn't ideal for them to try to get around the crowds and they often blocked tables from potential buyers.  Other than that, it was good!  I especially liked the older girls ( probably 6-12 years).  ALL of them that came to my table were really polite and even asked before they picked stuff up. 

As mentioned, they have a bean bag toss game and bingo a few times during the day.  Also, coloring sheets and tables are out all day long.  Did any vendor do face painting last year?  That might be cool.

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 06:33:53 PM »
Take pepper spray. And I don't mean for the kids either.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 08:07:06 PM »
I am absolutely NOT a kid person, but I have to say the kids at the fair last year were all SO polite.  :)  They really did ask before they picked anything up and when they bought something it was awesome to see them so happy. 

Offline Peppie

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Dabbles Pony
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 08:38:40 PM »
I got a ticket for my daughter (who will be 5 by then) but I'm not sure I'm going to use it. My friends who are driving me are going to watch her while I have some me time. She loves my ponies but I too am worried she will not listen and have grabby hands.  If I do let her join me it will only be for 1 day.

She plans on hanging out in the pool and do some sight seeing with my friends.
I encourage you to check out my feedback on eBay and here at the arena.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Nirvana Want List

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 10:53:48 PM »
another tip from a seller: a travel pack of handiwipes are a good idea.  the *last* thing anyone wants are marks transferring from little hands to ponies, and I'm sure they'll have a snack or two if you plan on being there all day. :)

Other than that, just the basics, make sure your little ones understand to ask first before picking up things, and for *very* little ones, remember they don't really understand not to touch, so keep them far enough back that they aren't tempted!(or occupy their hands haha!  turning it into a game of the child standing on your feet with you holding both if their hands may be kind of awkward, but it works!)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline wingsinmoonlight

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:20:47 AM »
I took my 2 youngest and their friend- 8,8 and 9.  We had a blast at the pj party, and they LOVED running the booth and swiping people's credit cards. My two will be with me again, and would LOVE to make some new friends. Little Bit especially likes new pony friends, Dusk prefers to sell things :)
Ebay Pony Sales- Lili-thorn
Custom Ponies, Many Many Vintage Toys, Pony and otherwise
rememberswhen.us

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »
I got a ticket for my daughter (who will be 5 by then) but I'm not sure I'm going to use it. My friends who are driving me are going to watch her while I have some me time. She loves my ponies but I too am worried she will not listen and have grabby hands.  If I do let her join me it will only be for 1 day.

She plans on hanging out in the pool and do some sight seeing with my friends.

I applaud you for this. I have been to quite a few conventions where parents let their kids run rampant and don't control them and it's not pleasant to be around. Thank you.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Peppie

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Dabbles Pony
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »

I have been to quite a few conventions where parents let their kids run rampant and don't control them and it's not pleasant to be around.

Well, it really depends on how she acts and how crowded it is. She tends to think at times that since mommy is in a wheelchair that she can do what she wants because I can't catch her to punish her. Which isn't true. You have my word that if she starts to act that way she will leave. Other times she minds perfectly. That's a kid I guess. If I  take her she will respect other peoples things and mind or she will leave.
I encourage you to check out my feedback on eBay and here at the arena.

Nirvana Want List

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 12:27:14 PM »
Taking small children to a convention I'm personally trying to enjoy sounds like a nightmare to me!!!  Obviously, I'm NOT a kid person, haha!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
sounds like you need to buy some dog leeds so you can keep an eye on all the sprogs :D
(i like cildren but i couldent eat a whole one ;P) xaflame

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal