collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First time attending - what to expect?  (Read 5207 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
Re: First time attending - what to expect?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 01:50:14 AM »
Since the Brony Conventions I was thinking of attending have been cancelled, I'm wondering about attending this.  As a fan of G1 as well as G4, there might be more for me to do and discuss with people.  It's also relatively close by.

What I'm wondering is if this is the convention where they do Q and A's about the brand or is that another?
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 02:06:42 AM »
Shop around/browse, but don't tell me that so-and-so is selling the same thing for less so I should too. If they're selling it for less, then go buy it from them. ---usually this happens b/c mine happens to be in better condition and they want me to match a price that's lower b/c that pony's condition is not as good ;)

Quoted for truth!

It's rude to do this kind of thing.  If one is rude folks are less inclined to work with them.

Another rude thing is to insult the merchandise.  Saying things like oh but if she wasn't so DIRTY.  Or her hair is so DRY.  You don't really expect that much do you?  Even though the ponies are for sale the people who bring them work hard to clean them up and get them ready for show.  Some are going to be in better shape than others.  Snobby collectors are fine, many many people are perfectionists, but this is not a good haggling strategy. Acting like the pony isn't worth what they are asking is basically insulting their ability to sell and price. 

Another rude thing is asking to hold things for you unreasonably.  If you don't have enough cash and you'll be right back that is one thing. That is totally fine.  Most people won't hold items longer than that because with so much foot traffic they could sell to someone else and they have no garuntee you'll be back to buy it. 

*thinks*

I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+593)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 04:00:50 AM »
Since the Brony Conventions I was thinking of attending have been cancelled, I'm wondering about attending this.  As a fan of G1 as well as G4, there might be more for me to do and discuss with people.  It's also relatively close by.

What I'm wondering is if this is the convention where they do Q and A's about the brand or is that another?

yes, Hasbro reps do a Q&A. SweetTune will post later about us submitting Qs we would like to have answered
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 04:14:49 AM »
Shop around/browse, but don't tell me that so-and-so is selling the same thing for less so I should too. If they're selling it for less, then go buy it from them. ---usually this happens b/c mine happens to be in better condition and they want me to match a price that's lower b/c that pony's condition is not as good ;)

Quoted for truth!

It's rude to do this kind of thing.  If one is rude folks are less inclined to work with them.

Another rude thing is to insult the merchandise.  Saying things like oh but if she wasn't so DIRTY.  Or her hair is so DRY.  You don't really expect that much do you?  Even though the ponies are for sale the people who bring them work hard to clean them up and get them ready for show.  Some are going to be in better shape than others.  Snobby collectors are fine, many many people are perfectionists, but this is not a good haggling strategy. Acting like the pony isn't worth what they are asking is basically insulting their ability to sell and price. 

Another rude thing is asking to hold things for you unreasonably.  If you don't have enough cash and you'll be right back that is one thing. That is totally fine.  Most people won't hold items longer than that because with so much foot traffic they could sell to someone else and they have no garuntee you'll be back to buy it. 

*thinks*

Well that's good advice, though I'm not one to go around saying things like that regardless to someone... I hardly ever say that about peoples ponies when offered something that's not quite up my alley online, so I definitely don't have the guts to do it in person! But I understand what you're saying... being rude never gets you anywhere...

Though, I do have to say, sometimes shop owners are rude themselves with their prices... I was in a store and heard someone ask him if he took offers on any of his items or haggled. He said, in a very rude tone, "I'll haggle, but don't bring me a $20 item and ask me to discount it. I also won't haggle unless you approach me in the right way." Needless to say, the person asking him that immediately left, and we did too... because he was too rude to even want to give money to. I doubt pony people are like that, lol but still - drive away customers much?

And it's nice to know we're all kind of customers... I mean, I will only try to haggle if I feel truly like I should haggle. I feel that for some items, I'll probably see them priced perfectly reasonably for me. Maybe I'll try for a discount, but not low-ball to be rude. And I definitely like the bundling aspect. That has been my personal best way to get deals in the past, because I'm buying a good number of ponies from one person...

I guess I should start making my list, heh. I have one on my phone but it's far out of date, and I might as well update it with things that are non-pony - such as accessories, because I know for a FACT I have no idea what accessories I need for which pony unless I'm sitting here looking at my Excel spreadsheets... lol

Earlier in the post someone mentioned being able to use Paypal - did a lot of vendors last year have Smartphones? I was wondering about doing instant transactions with Paypal from our phones or tablets, etc... I was hoping that that could potentially be a way to pay people without having cash... (Cash spends SO fast!)... or card readers on their phones? Just wondering. If I have to bring all cash, then I'll make myself budget! But, if I can use Paypal and such, I'll have a bit more freedom most likely.
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+593)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 04:30:04 AM »
it's almost entirely cash
I didn't see anyone with the credit card phone thing last year
as for paypal - the people that take it (like myself) usually require that you send it as "gift" so that there are NO fees (and no chance of someone claiming they didn't get the item or something with a pp claim)...this depends on if we have free internet in the room though...which I don't think we do.
If you can show me on your phone that you are sending pp as gift to me I'll probably take it though

but yeah...it's almost entirely a cash system :) most sellers are prepared with $1s and $5s for change

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 05:38:07 AM »
Oh you are all making me so jelly!! I even looked at airfares the other day, thought maybe I might just fly in for the weekend :biggrin: but really can't justify $3500 for a weekend. And any bargains sooo wouldn't end up being bargains, lol! But can't wait to see and read about everyone's time at the fair :)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 06:07:38 AM »
Okay that's good to know. I know that I have free service for my phone in Indy, so I would probably offer to pay with Paypal and do exactly that (of course, as a gift, and then, showing my phone, etc - and the confirmation email from Paypal saying, "You sent a gift to so-and-so") but I will definitely prepare for mostly cash then, that's important - and I never thought about trying to also have some smaller bills for items that are less expensive as to NOT make people give me all their small bills in change... (like buying a $1 with a $20, etc...)

All of these tips have been really great and helpful in getting me super pumped again to go to the Con... :)

My Want List

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
The only advice I can give you from attending last year's fair is... you will spend more than you intended to! I think I brought about $600 and spent most of it. There were just so many amazing accessories on sale that I never thought I'd be able to get my hands on!

I do think some sellers were offering the paypal option though...

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »
This thread is sooo helpful!!! Thank you SunshinePony for starting it! I had a lot of the same questions as this is going to be my first time too. I'm trying to organize my trip, I'll either be going by myself for Sat & Sun or with my husband on Sun (his mother is getting married that weekend so it depends if he's going to the reception or not lol). I'm super pumped to go I've been wanting to go for years!! I'm also excited my birthday is in June so I'll have even more spending money hahaha

I love the idea of a list cuz I know once I see a room FULL of ponies the "Gotta Catch Them All" syndrome will kick in hahaha

Edited to add: are there going to be entrance tickets sold at the door? I missed the ticket packages (I'll be more on the ball next year haha) also anyone know how much the tickets will be?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:54:36 PM by StarflowerStables »
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »
This thread is sooo helpful!!! Thank you SunshinePony for starting it! I had a lot of the same questions as this is going to be my first time too. I'm trying to organize my trip, I'll either be going by myself for Sat & Sun or with my husband on Sun (his mother is getting married that weekend so it depends if he's going to the reception or not lol). I'm super pumped to go I've been wanting to go for years!! I'm also excited my birthday is in June so I'll have even more spending money hahaha

I love the idea of a list cuz I know once I see a room FULL of ponies the "Gotta Catch Them All" syndrome will kick in hahaha

I know, this thread has been SO helpful!! I really appreciate everyone's insight into the fair... and Mercy, omg you brought up a SUPER important point! I was, to this point, thinking only about the PONIES I'd be seeking out... NOT ACCESSORIES, but I'm a HUGE accessory person... wow, thank you for making me realize, OH YEAH! I might want to buy things other than actual PONIES... like accessories and merch. And thanks for saying how much you took with you too because I've been trying to figure out a monetary "goal" to set for bringing with me, and that helps a lot!! :)

I too missed out on the ticket packages, so I hope there's no issue getting tickets or getting in at the actual fair!!

My Want List

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
I'll have a card swiper probably, but I will have to have a minimum price to allow people to use it, because it does take a small percentage off.

I don't think I've ever haggled on prices at the fair. No, I take that back, I did with Clipper but it wasn't really haggling, it was just "would you take..." and my offer was instanly accepted. But generally if I don't like a price, I walk away. I have my wishlist printed out and do price cehcks before the fair so I have an idea of what a fair price is. If something is way overpriced, I just leave it. I don't mnid paying a little bit over average for the convenience of buying in person, though, and most pony people have very reasonable prices.

People buying from my table though, I let them get all sorts of discounts, when reasonable. Anything I bring to sell is something I'm not attached to, and I generally don't want to take anything back with me (with the exception of customs, but even some of those have some wiggle room). I'm the person at the end of day two giving away perfectly good ponies for free just so I don't have to pack them up and take them home :D

Also, you can still buy tickets online, just not the packages. May as well just get them online rather than waiting to do it in person on the day of the fair. It saves you some time and effort.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:40:37 PM by NoDivision »

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »
I'll have a card swiper probably, but I will have to have a minimum price to allow people to use it, because it does take a small percentage off.

I don't think I've ever haggled on prices at the fair. No, I take that back, I did with Clipper but it wasn't really haggling, it was just "would you take..." and my offer was instanly accepted. But generally if I don't like a price, I walk away. I have my wishlist printed out and do price cehcks before the fair so I have an idea of what a fair price is. If something is way overpriced, I just leave it. I don't mnid paying a little bit over average for the convenience of buying in person, though, and most pony people have very reasonable prices.

People buying from my table though, I let them get all sorts of discounts, when reasonable. Anything I bring to sell is something I'm not attached to, and I generally don't want to take anything back with me (with the exception of customs, but even some of those have some wiggle room). I'm the person at the end of day two giving away perfectly good ponies for free just so I don't have to pack them up and take them home :D

Also, you can still buy tickets online, just not the packages. May as well just get them online rather than waiting to do it in person on the day of the fair. It saves you some time and effort.

Good point! I will definitely look into buying some tickets in the VERY near future here (c'mon paycheck, lol!)

My Want List

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »
We took Paypal last year, we just had to send me, my tablet, and our buyers out into the lobby to get a wifi connection.  It wasn't really that bad and we made a few more sales than we would have otherwise.  ;)  I think I'll plan on having that option available again this year. 

Offline mlpkatie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • So Soft Pony
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 12:56:12 AM »
Last summer's was my first year going, I was a nervous wreck! But once me and my grandma and my friend who tagged along were standing in line for the doors to open, I felt instantly welcomed! Everyone there had something in common with me. In my community not alot of people except my collection, and my family even mess with them in my pony room which I am not happy about. But there I felt independent and confident about something I loved! You'll have a great time! When the doors opened and we were all let in I made so many pony friends, new and met my pony-friends from over the MLParena!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 05:27:42 AM »
Last summer's was my first year going, I was a nervous wreck! But once me and my grandma and my friend who tagged along were standing in line for the doors to open, I felt instantly welcomed! Everyone there had something in common with me. In my community not alot of people except my collection, and my family even mess with them in my pony room which I am not happy about. But there I felt independent and confident about something I loved! You'll have a great time! When the doors opened and we were all let in I made so many pony friends, new and met my pony-friends from over the MLParena!

This.

This is what I'm hoping for!! I'm so glad to hear it!  :biggrin:

My Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal