collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Are you planning to come to the fantastic MN Pony Meet of Fun????

Yah, sure! You Betcha!
10 (34.5%)
Nope, not this year. But next year....
7 (24.1%)
Life is uncertain. I'm not even sure what I'm having for lunch. Maybe?
7 (24.1%)
The Princess Bride is one of my favorite top ten movies of all time. (What do you mean, off topic?)
5 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Minnesota Pony Meet- August 24th in Hines, MN! (Up North!) PM for location!  (Read 13142 times)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
PLEASE PM WIZZER IF YOU NEED HER ADDRESS/DIRECTIONS!
I'm sorry I can't figure out how to get rid of the poll, please ignore it.

The date for the 4th Annual MN Pony Meet has been set! Mark your calendars for August 24th, and warm up the GPS! The meet will be in beautiful Hines MN, up near Bemidji. As the time gets closer, we'll get the directions out to those who need it.

We are planning on a potluck for food and beverages, and I've got some games already planning in my little head. If anyone has anything to donate to the prize table, please bring it!

And a contest- I'm not sure what the prize is yet, but here's the contest.
Since we'll be in Paul Bunyan territory, it only seems right that we have a Paul-themed contest. The material can be whatever you want, the only rule is that ponies and Paul must be involved. This can include Paul, his family, or, of course, Babe, the famous Blue Ox. Photos, drawings, customs... anything you want to do!
Winners will be chosen by the attendees, and only those attending can enter. Let the creative juices flow!

SWAP! We will be having a $10 swap- if you bring a package, you will get one in return. This package can include a pony or two, candy, cute little swap-friendly things, and should be wrapped. The package does NOT need to include a pony- there will be non-collectors at the meet- and depending on how many non-pony packages there are, we may have them split up by pony and non-pony.

MIMICS OF MINNESOTA!  Bring along your Mimics- we will do a group photo shoot! Just for fun, but won't it be neat to see all those Mimics together! Customs and drawings are good, too!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:32:24 PM by Aurora »
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Minnesota Pony Folks- Let's start Planning our Meet!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »
No ideas, but like the Shakopee option. 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:44:15 AM »
I know Shakopee is nice for people coming to the RenFest- that's why it was in September last year (oh, now I remember!). That's also why I was looking in Shakopee. I think I might have to do some actual calling around, I just bumped into this place by chance. I still like it, but it's the same place that the RenFest people camp/sleep/drink. It will probably be pretty empty on a day that the Fest is happening, since everyone will be at the Fest, so we should have it almost to ourselves. Like I said, I won't know anything until Spring, so it will have to wait until it's nice out.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
I'm not so sure I like the idea of the fest site while the fest is ongoing; thieves are alive and well at the fest, sad to say. :( That, and I don't like porta-potties. :p

I like the idea of hosting it at various people's homes; that sounds fun. (Can't do ours this year, as we're doing repairs this year, but hopefully next year.) :D

Almost any weekend works for me this summer, except the weekend after the forth (of course), the weekend before the forth (might be selling at AniMinneapolis this year; its still on the table), and labor day weekend (Metacon, also a possible selling venue). Other than those three, I should be good for any time this summer. Barring my folks going to the cabin and taking the car, of course. I really want to make the meet this year, seeing as I've missed the last two. :(
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »
I've been trying to find a really good "getting to know you" sort of thing. I know some good icebreaker games, they just aren't prize-giveable. Keep your eyes peeled for something, though- I remember all of the people at the meets, but I feel like I should be able to remember you better!
Any thoughts?

ETA: I had a thought! Maybe instead of meeting at someone's house (which would still be fun) we could do something sort of like a flea market. We could meet at a county park or somewhere sort of out-of-the-way yet near the cities and everyone can set up their table or use their car as a table. I volunteer to build a fire and bring weenies! I'm still looking into parks that might work, or abandoned parking lots...
We can put up a "private party" sign to keep out people who might be pesky, or we can see if they want to buy ponies too- maybe we'll create some new collectors!
Anyway, something to keep in mind, or to chat about. I know the county park close to me has a main parking lot that usually has people in it, but there's an area further back that most people don't go to. I'm thinking the "further back" option would be great for us!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:44:08 PM by Aurora »

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »
Bumping- got a new idea!

Offline mngusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
Hey Aurora!  I'm so excited we're talking about a pony meet!!  I like the idea of a park, but if the weather isn't good, that could be a problem.  Unless the park had a covered shelter we could use....?  I'll keep my eye out too.  I'm in, but it would be nice to get a month or date in mind, weekends in Minnesota during the summer do tend to fill up with other commitments fast.  Hope we get lots of people again this year, I've really enjoyed the last 2!

Aurora, do you go to the WI meet too?  We are thinking about doing that one too this year. 

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
We could meet at a county park or somewhere sort of out-of-the-way yet near the cities and everyone can set up their table or use their car as a table. I volunteer to build a fire and bring weenies! I'm still looking into parks that might work, or abandoned parking lots...
We can put up a "private party" sign to keep out people who might be pesky, or we can see if they want to buy ponies too- maybe we'll create some new collectors!
You mean like a camp site? That could be fun! :D I do agree with the concerns though - What if it rains? I don't know if camp sites have buildings like the old GSC camp Greenwood and similar. :huh:
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »
Oh I can't wait.  Sadly I don't know any good places to hold an awesome pony meet.  I'll keep an eye out and help where I can.  Can't wait for the big day.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 06:18:05 PM »
Oh I am going to be keeping an eye on this forum :)

Is the meet is going to be in Shakopee, MN that would be 281.1 mi, 4 hr 45 min driving for me. That is not to bad.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:22:03 PM by avene1984 »

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 06:51:51 PM »
Depending on when and where, I'll join. :) If it's around Minneapolis, it gives me an excuse to do some IKEA shopping.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
Oh gosh!!! I forgot about that IKEA store!!!!!   :)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »
Hooray, other people! I always worry when I start these and no one says anything!

I've looked into a few of the parks up near Shakopee, there are a few county parks that would have buildings we could use. I don't know if there's a fee, but I think we can roll with a fee around $50. Last year we paid about that to use the "free" site, so I don't think it would be a problem.

I've also been studying our house and yard, and I'm pretty sure we could handle hosting. We might have to set up a few tables in the basement or yard just to be sure everyone has as much room as they want, but I don't think that's too much of a problem. My only problem with hosting is that I live about 2 hours South of the cities, and that's a long way for the people in the North. However, it would be a great "middle" for anyone from Iowa that wanted to come!

If we do the park, we should shoot for summer months. May is bad for me, with the garden (it's a big garden!) and my mother-in-law's yearly trip up north. I love the trip, but why May? Sigh.
What if we went for June? It's not too hot, the bugs aren't insane yet. All my weekends are open right now, but Gusty's right, weekends do fill up really fast.

Ok- so a quick informal poll.
Someone's home vs. Park  (or other options, maybe a site near you?)

June? July? August? Other?

I personally like the home, June option. It doesn't have to be my home, I just like visiting people's houses, and the WI meets are fun that way- it's a visit and a pony meet!

Offline mngusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 06:53:13 AM »
Poll:

Home vs Park:  I don't have a home that would work, but I'd be up for going to either.   

June, July or August?:  I can't the first weekend of June other that that it doesn't matter to  me.  I like Aurora's thought about the bugs not being too bad yet and hopefully not too hot either in June.  Plus it's sooner :) 

If we have a date planned far in advance, I wouldn't mind a road trip for the pony meet.  A couple hours drive from the city doesn't bother me at all.  Let's keep brainstorming!! 

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 07:01:50 AM »
I thought of a fun game idea- I was going through my boxes of things I'm selling and found a horse that I had to really work to identify. She's not exactly a fakie, but something like that. And I was thinking it would be fun to have a contest like that- if we bring the toys that we either can't identify, or that took a lot of research and luck to figure out, then we all took guesses (we could have a list). The one who got the most right would get a prize!
This means everyone could bring something to show off- something unusual or strange. It wouldn't have to be a pony/fakie. We could even do something with other toys of the 80's- see who can name all the strange little toy brands. Happidiculous World of Upsie Downsy, anyone? (I think that's the 70's, but you get the idea!)

Any others have any thoughts about locations/dates?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal