collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shipping rates to go up for international  (Read 4741 times)

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
Re: Shipping rates to go up for international
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »
I'll admit that I haven't read through all 6 pages here, but has it been mentioned that you can't print postage online for certain countries anymore? I just had a buyer in the Czech Republic & normally I could print Priority International postage straight from ebay or USPS.com... not any more! :huh: Apparently there are certain countries that you can print postage for (so far I've sent to the UK & Japan) & others you can't (Czech Republic). What's up with that USPS??!  :mad:

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
I spent $100 to ship 6 packages internationally

$12 for ONE fairytale bird to sweden
$20 for 3 PVC care bears, 1 FTB to Australia
$10 for a G3 to Italy
$21 for 3 G3's to UK
$15 for some pony clothes to Finland
$10 for one PVC carebear to canada

A 4 pound box is like $40

all in padded envelopes  :mad:

Yep, this is my life too now Tiki - I spent $60 sending 4 packages, basically at those prices you list....

It's killing people wanting to trade with me, and buying from me in the US is harsh on International buyers. I understand some countries have always had higher postage, but right now I'm trying to trade with a member overseas, and they're saying that they can pay $10 to send the package economy, whereas now my lowest option is $12.75 from USPS (or like $75 from UPS/FedEx) - I mean... sheesh... so now I have to be either the person that eats the loss of the almost $3 difference, or I have to ask for "more in a trade" to make up for it.

Grr - really makes me mad I didn't maximize my trading overseas in 2012 instead of after the postal increase in 2013.
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
Tikibirds and Sunshinepony-  I'm right there with you too-

I know some other countries have always had high shipping (I seem to recall Japan being crazy high, and Australia wasn't cheap either)

but- it still stinks.  Definitely has cut down on trades and sales- not just because of the cost, but because it USED to be expensive (but still doable) to send by registered mail- but now first class is already so expensive that adding an additional $13 to register the package puts nearly everything right over the top!

I bet the Etsy business is suffering as well. 

I have no end of anxiety right now because I just did a swap with a lovely member from Spain, and a 1.2 pound box cost $18.60 for first class to send!  To register it would have cost an additional $12.95, making total FIRST CLASS shipping for a small box $31.55!!!   So she agreed I could send it first class (otherwise the trade just wouldn't have been worth it) and now I live in fear every single day that it will be lost or DELAYED.   :yikes:  (The recent postal delays are also causing me serious concern given the regularity with which this occurs)

It has really put a damper on the international trades and sales for sure-  sending fun gifts is also completely lame now- which stinks since shipping to Canada used to be so dang cheap and I have a few friends there that I liked to send randomness too :( 

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »
To make things worse for us Finns, they lowered our custom limit from 45€ to 22€. So everything which has the value over 22€ and is coming outside EU is supposed to end up getting stuck in the customs and we should pay extra fees. That 22€ includes shipping costs which means that if I buy something like jeans from US, the shipping alone is almost high enough to match the custom limit. It's insane, specially now that USPS prices went up so much at the same time. Luckily I haven't had to pay any fees..yet.

So a tip for people shipping stuff to Finland: mark a very low value on to the customs label and mark it as a gift if possible. 22€=$29
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »
To make things worse for us Finns, they lowered our custom limit from 45€ to 22€. So everything which has the value over 22€ and is coming outside EU is supposed to end up getting stuck in the customs and we should pay extra fees. That 22€ includes shipping costs which means that if I buy something like jeans from US, the shipping alone is almost high enough to match the custom limit. It's insane, specially now that USPS prices went up so much at the same time. Luckily I haven't had to pay any fees..yet.

So a tip for people shipping stuff to Finland: mark a very low value on to the customs label and mark it as a gift if possible. 22€=$29

Yikes- 

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2013, 01:49:32 PM »
Tikibirds and Sunshinepony-  I'm right there with you too-

I know some other countries have always had high shipping (I seem to recall Japan being crazy high, and Australia wasn't cheap either)

but- it still stinks.  Definitely has cut down on trades and sales- not just because of the cost, but because it USED to be expensive (but still doable) to send by registered mail- but now first class is already so expensive that adding an additional $13 to register the package puts nearly everything right over the top!

I bet the Etsy business is suffering as well. 

I have no end of anxiety right now because I just did a swap with a lovely member from Spain, and a 1.2 pound box cost $18.60 for first class to send!  To register it would have cost an additional $12.95, making total FIRST CLASS shipping for a small box $31.55!!!   So she agreed I could send it first class (otherwise the trade just wouldn't have been worth it) and now I live in fear every single day that it will be lost or DELAYED.   :yikes:  (The recent postal delays are also causing me serious concern given the regularity with which this occurs)

It has really put a damper on the international trades and sales for sure-  sending fun gifts is also completely lame now- which stinks since shipping to Canada used to be so dang cheap and I have a few friends there that I liked to send randomness too :(

Yes I feel that way too hun! I made some close friends in Canada, and also recently in Sweden - I don't mind sending things back and forth, but even Canada being raised so high... UGH. No more surface mail? I mean srsly... like I used to live in Detroit, and I could spit on Windsor - they can't drive mail across borders like that to major cities? Ahhhh. Sorry for my rant...

I just did sell something that I required registered mail for. I required shipping in a box and it to be registered overseas. I went on USPS and quoted the price... $27.50. Thought that was RIDICULOUS, but... someone bought it, and paid - no problem. I take it to the post office, it's not $27.50, it's $27.85. Seriously? It weighed the same on their scale as mine, but the extra $0.35? I didn't look at "online prices" so, I don't know what's the issue - the post is taking us all for a ride. I don't think it should be strictly the users problem to pay all this extra money to keep them in business.

Heck, people like us - collectors, we DRIVE postal services... seriously. My small town has less than 400 people in it, and I'm sending and receiving up to 10x packages a day sometimes. That's probably more than they normally (before I lived here) got in a week... I feel like I am keeping our postal branch office open by using it. And yet, we are the ones suffering by paying out the wazoo to now ship stuff. Pretty soon their prices will be as high as UPS or FedEx and they'll be in trouble... (okay probably not THAT high but... c'mon now...)
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2013, 01:53:20 PM »

Yes I feel that way too hun! I made some close friends in Canada, and also recently in Sweden - I don't mind sending things back and forth, but even Canada being raised so high... UGH. No more surface mail? I mean srsly... like I used to live in Detroit, and I could spit on Windsor - they can't drive mail across borders like that to major cities? Ahhhh. Sorry for my rant...

I just did sell something that I required registered mail for. I required shipping in a box and it to be registered overseas. I went on USPS and quoted the price... $27.50. Thought that was RIDICULOUS, but... someone bought it, and paid - no problem. I take it to the post office, it's not $27.50, it's $27.85. Seriously? It weighed the same on their scale as mine, but the extra $0.35? I didn't look at "online prices" so, I don't know what's the issue - the post is taking us all for a ride. I don't think it should be strictly the users problem to pay all this extra money to keep them in business.

Heck, people like us - collectors, we DRIVE postal services... seriously. My small town has less than 400 people in it, and I'm sending and receiving up to 10x packages a day sometimes. That's probably more than they normally (before I lived here) got in a week... I feel like I am keeping our postal branch office open by using it. And yet, we are the ones suffering by paying out the wazoo to now ship stuff. Pretty soon their prices will be as high as UPS or FedEx and they'll be in trouble... (okay probably not THAT high but... c'mon now...)

I think that has happened to me a few times (post office price different from price online) - sometimes by more than a few cents :(  I have no idea what the cause for that could be- maybe a difference in their scale.

And I definitely get more than my fair share of packages every week- hehe...

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
I'll admit that I haven't read through all 6 pages here, but has it been mentioned that you can't print postage online for certain countries anymore? I just had a buyer in the Czech Republic & normally I could print Priority International postage straight from ebay or USPS.com... not any more! :huh: Apparently there are certain countries that you can print postage for (so far I've sent to the UK & Japan) & others you can't (Czech Republic). What's up with that USPS??!  :mad:

I sent an email to customer service for usps.com & got this reply:

"Thank you for contacting the USPS® Internet Customer Care Center in regards to creating a label shipping labels. I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and I am more than happy to assist you today.

The Inspection Service has temporarily suspended shipping on Click-N-Ship® to the following countries: Afars, Ajman, Alhucemas, Armenia, Astypalaia (Greece), Belarus, Benin, Buka, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Canton Island, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chalki, Congo (Brazzaville), Republic Of The, Congo, Democratic Republic Of The, Crete, Czech Republic, Dahomey, Dahomey (Benin), Danger Islands, Diu, Diu (India), Futuna, Ghana, Goa, Guernsey (Channel Islands) (Great Britain and Northern Ireland), Kampuchea, Kampuchea (Cambodia), Kazakhstan, Kos (Greece), Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Manahiki, Manahiki (New Zealand), Moldova, Niger, Nigeria, Nissiros, Niue, Niue (New Zealand), Nukahiva, Russia, Sark, Serbia-Montenegro, South-West Africa, South-West Africa (Nambia), Symi, Tahaa, Togo, Tongareva, Tongareva (New Zealand), Trucial States, Trucial States (United Arab Emirates), Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Zanzibar, Zanzibar (Tanzania). Packages to these countries can still be shipped by going to your local post office or using one of the other online shipping applications such as Endicia.com and Stamps.com."

I thought I should share this info in case it's helpful to anyone else. I can't seem to find this information on their site. :faint:

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2013, 03:07:42 AM »

€22 INCL. Shipping? That's crazy, yo! ;O;
In germany we have that €22 limit as well, but just for the merchandise w/o shipping. (oddly enough, after an item is worth more than €22, we have to pay a 19% fee on the value of item+shipping combined. LOL?)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal