collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony issue over eBay? Advice needed. *updated!*  (Read 1726 times)

Sandra

• Trade Count: (0)
Pony issue over eBay? Advice needed. *updated!*
« on: January 18, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »
In November, I bought a rather rare pony for $60 from a very popular seller on eBay. However, weeks went by without any package arriving. The tracking number the seller posted shows that the package doesn't exist, and the length of the tracking number itself seems incorrect. I asked the seller about this, and they said they had been to the post office and the tracking number was pre-printed from eBay. Nevertheless, I have still not received the pony and the tracking number still shows nothing.

I contacted the seller and they said they were willing to go half and half on the pony, as this would be fair to both of us. I messaged them back telling them while I didn't think it was their fault, I still wanted a full refund because I did not receive the package I paid for. I just got a snarky reply back today, telling me how it would not be fair to the seller because they are now out a rare pony and the $60 I paid for it. They said they "have to do what I want" because they don't want negative feedback.

I have never had this happen to me and am unsure how to respond. I've spent probably around $600-$700 on this seller's ponies in the fall and winter of last year and they have always been nice and courteous to me. I was a very loyal customer to them and am a little surprised with their reply. I don't want this to negatively affect the business we do, because I do intend buying more ponies from them as time goes on. Should I just agree to pay half in order to not taint our relationship? I don't think it's fair to me as a buyer, but I also see where they are coming from since it is a rarer pony. What should I do?

I apologize if I didn't put this in the right board. I thought this one would be most appropriate.

[Moving to Trader Support for you --- Thanks, LadyG :) ]

EDIT: Update below. Ugh.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:35:07 PM by Sandra »

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Pony issue over eBay? Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:49:29 PM »
Bummer!  That is a difficult situation, but once this gets moved to Trader Support I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice.  Sounds to me like the seller was having a seriously bad day, especially if you have dealt with her before with good results.  But not receiving an accurate tracking number is strange to me especially if you paid for it.  I hope you get everything worked out for the best!

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:58:27 PM »
Bummer!  That is a difficult situation, but once this gets moved to Trader Support I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice.  Sounds to me like the seller was having a seriously bad day, especially if you have dealt with her before with good results.  But not receiving an accurate tracking number is strange to me especially if you paid for it.  I hope you get everything worked out for the best!

Thank you!
And oops, I didn't realize that's what Trader Support was for. I never made my way over to that board.

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:51:24 AM »
I understand where the seller is coming from. You have bought several times from them means you know they are trustworthy, and now that a rare pony is missing, it means they are making a double loss by losing a rare pony to the mail and refunding you the full $60. Also, if the pony ever turns up a few weeks or months down the road, they are pretty sure you won't bother paying them back the money either. Not to say you lack integrity or anything, but most people just wouldn't. I would have been reluctant if it was me too. They are complying now just to avoid a negative, so I can feel some indignity there, like they feel it's unfair for their side as well.

I don't know about you, but by buying off ebay, I feel that people should know that they are taking a risk, and I am prepared to take that risk when I bid on that item with a seller whom I think should be trustworthy from past records. If the seller is out and out to scam me, I'll definitely take harsh actions against him, but if it's a situation like yours, I'm likely to split half-half with the seller.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:55:34 AM by goldenclopper »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:59:25 AM »
I understand the situation from both point of views but sadly the seller is responsible. If it's a rare pony this shipping should have been with insurance so they were protected against this type of situation. Open a case through ebay and let them handle it. They will view the tracking number and see it wasn't ever delivered and side with the buyer and you will be refunded 100%. Once your money is returned then you can leave them a positive as they are trying to work with you.

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:21:15 AM »
Thats a really sad situation - especially for the seller to get mad at you even though you have had plenty good transactions before with them  :( . I do understand both sides of this , and in  Arena transactions where there is proof that the seller sent the item, but the buyer never received, then one of the fairest solutions is to go half and half.  Its usually different to that on ebay though - if the parcel doesnt arrive then more often than not they have to give the buyer a full refund.  In this case there *was* a tracking number provided , and if it had worked then yes it would prove the seller did send the parcel and the half refund would have been fair, but the tracking didnt ever work,  and even some popular sellers have made mistakes or not sent itmes out in the past...so perhaps it is best to open a case and let ebay decide. If they decide that the seller did send the package and its neither their fault nor yours, there is a chance (a very small one, but I've had it happen to me in the past)  that ebay will refund you themselves and not take the money from the seller.  The strongest possiblilty is though that they will make the seller give you a full refund.   
Its true that that may effect whether or not that seller lets you buy from them again though ... so its a toughie situation :yikes:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:22:47 AM by Ringlets »

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:46:07 AM »
I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

It's a rather unfortunate situation since you have bought ponies previous from them.  But before I answer your question can I ask where the pony was coming from...overseas, US? And also when was the pony shipped? I ask that because you say November and depending on when in November, you maybe over your 45 days to open a case.  :huh:
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 07:25:29 AM »
I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

It's a rather unfortunate situation since you have bought ponies previous from them.  But before I answer your question can I ask where the pony was coming from...overseas, US? And also when was the pony shipped? I ask that because you say November and depending on when in November, you maybe over your 45 days to open a case.  :huh:

It was late November, and I am still within the time limit to open a case. Also, this was coming from within the US. I looked at the seller's feedback and there were some mentions of shipping errors by the seller from other buyers. They have on one occassion forgotten to ship something to me, but the issue was resolved quickly with no hard feelings.

I'm just not sure why the tracking number would be so off. It doesn't have the minimum amount of numbers a usual USPS tracking number does. They swear that they typed it in exactly how it was given to them.

Another thing that perplexes me is something that they wrote in their message. They said something along the lines of, "the package is tracked all through the US, but when it reaches your country it gets lost and it's not my fault." However, I'm not in another country. I live in the US and so do they. I'm wondering if maybe they shipped my package to the wrong address, maybe overseas? I messaged them back telling them this but have not gotten a reply yet.

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 07:51:50 AM »
I understand that the buyer is upset that they are now out $60 but that's no way to behave.  You've bought things from this seller before so they should have more trust in you.  I'd also be a little suspicious if the tracking number is off.  I hope things work out and the pony gets to you and your able to show the seller your an honest person.  But if the pony's not in your hands yet I would open a case.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 08:01:37 AM »
I would probably most definitely open a case then.  There are to many discrepancies at this point. And the biggest being that you have a tracking number that does not work.  The second being that your both in the US.  It is very rare a package goes missing or is in limbo for months. 

When you open the case she will have to show proof of shipping with a working traceable number. So she either needs to find her receipt and recheck that number to submit, or do the right thing and ship your pony or refund your money. Because ebay will side with you if she can not provide that.     
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 09:36:57 AM »
I would also open a case, especially with it sounding like she sent your package to the wrong address, internationally no less.  If you paid for tracking and are not receiving any indication that your items have shipped, that is concerning.  Obviously a scanned receipt is not Paypal-valid proof of shipment, but it's a lot easier to have patience when your 3 lb. Ebay auction of ponies seems to have a similar shipping date to a package weighing 3 lbs at the post office, being delivered to your zipcode.  USPS receipts at least have THAT info on them!

It's terrible that she even mentioned feedback in her response to you - I realize that it's more common for a buyer to mention the FB, but really...  :(

She could have agreed to escalate with her post office with her insurance claim to recoup her loss while the Paypal case is being processed, and hope that the pony still shows up at some point.  Then you, as the buyer, could re-send the money.  :D  And she can have some perspective on which shipping services she uses - maybe a post office in the next town over would be more timely/efficient in the future? 

Regardless of how much business you have done in the past that is positive, I think you need to step back and evaluate how this experience has given you perspective.  You are ABSOLUTELY correct that this is what tracking, registration, delivery confirmation, insurance, and all the other services are offered for!  A small business is a small business is a business, period.  Incorporated or not.  Shipping fees/services from courier and parcel delivery entities are part of the cost. 

I hope that you are able to work out something amicably but it sounds like you have answered your own question about whether to think about future purchases or not.  *ponyhugs*

I hope your pony arrives soon!  Please keep us informed!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:39:28 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
I understand the situation from both point of views but sadly the seller is responsible. If it's a rare pony this shipping should have been with insurance so they were protected against this type of situation. Open a case through ebay and let them handle it. They will view the tracking number and see it wasn't ever delivered and side with the buyer and you will be refunded 100%. Once your money is returned then you can leave them a positive as they are trying to work with you.

This.

Insurance is for the seller's protection. If the buyer hasn't received their item, they get a refund minus the snarky additude. File a claim immedeatly.

It astonishes me that the seller would be so callous towards a repeat buyer like that.

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »
If this item is coming from the US and going somewhere within the US, then I see no reason why the package can't be found at some point.  There is always the possibility that the carrier who picked it up did not scan it or dropped it somewhere.  It should turn up, but either way, if I were your seller, I would be refunding you or giving you store credit.

Best of luck to you, and yes I would open a case too.

Tancho

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »
As with everyone else, you really need to open up a case on eBay immediately.
Unfortunately at the end of the day if the item gets lost it's the sellers responsibility to refund the money, and they shouldn't be asking you to go halves with them - eBay will side with you immediately and give you all your money back.  It sounds harsh but no way would I even consider paying half, it's their responsibility not yours!!  Whilst I appreciate that as a seller it can be frustrating when an expensive item goes missing, at the same time they should cover themselves and get a fully traceable and insured shipping method for expensive items to cover themselves and ask for the extra postage cost when they list the item on eBay.  They took the risk sending it in a way that leaves them open, therefore they have no one but themselves to blame for losing money.
The problem is whilst they can approach you and say they sent the item etc etc, they gave you a "faulty" tracking number and you don't know that they actually did send the item.  Sadly these days you can never be sure with even the most supposedly reliable person, you only have to look back through the trader support section to see!

Sandra

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 08:33:26 PM »
Okay, I was going to wait and still talk with her about this before opening a claim. After I asked her about what she meant about the "when it gets in my country" thing, she emailed back saying that she thought I was overseas. Anyway, before I even got to reply, I got a notice from PayPal telling me she refunded HALF, before we even reached an agreement. This is what she put in the PayPal message:

"[Name removed] has issued a refund for $35.03 USD of your original payment.

See Refund Details below for more information.

Message from merchant: Hi,  this is all I have to pay on this pony.  It is more than half and I am left without a pony And $35.03.  I have never paid all myself on any lost pony.  Some did not expect any, and others were very happy that I would even pay half. "

I think that's so rude! I'm definitely filing a claim... This is ridiculous. I've spent so much money on her ponies last fall, I find it so disrespectful that she treated me that way. What's worse is that she is a very reputable pony seller on eBay and has tons of business. I'm disgusted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:37:16 PM by Sandra »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal