collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DJOctaviasymphony/ponyadore Banned!!  (Read 11901 times)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: DJOctaviasymphony/ponyadore Banned!!
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2013, 07:49:01 AM »
I recommend the mods look into a way to track and record IP addresses. If you simply block the IP address, this will prevent most scammers creating new accounts.

I wish it were this easy but sadly not really.  Here is why. People can use many different computers and all computers have a different address.  There is simply no way to stop a scammer with IP addresses.  Certainly you can keep a list of the ones they have used but if they get another one and register their item under another name..presto you have nothing.  I have seen forums charge for membership which has helped in some cases. Who wants to pay an annual fee just to scam, but one or two still will.  Most often they go for free places.  The best way to stop someone is for people to have their eyes out on members trading and leaving appropriate feedback when problems arise as well as contacting a mod.  Being afraid to report a problem or leave feedback leads to scammers just scamming until someone has the guts to hold them responsible.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:51:04 AM by tulagirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2013, 06:17:41 AM »
I recommend the mods look into a way to track and record IP addresses. If you simply block the IP address, this will prevent most scammers creating new accounts.
Kagura the Mods are the one's who busted her. We have a system but we do not share details on the way we track down these people. It would defeat the purpose.

Other suggestions:

-Trade through ebay. Simply create a lot with your item and list it as WAY overpriced. Example: $100 for a pony worth only $20. List it as "Buy it now or best offer." Then you will receive offers of lower amounts. Tell your trading partner to offer whatever amount you agreed on and then you'll know to accept only her offer.
Ebay keeps good track of buyers and sellers and will refund your money if anything goes wrong. Ebay also has the feedback system tracking which sellers are trustworthy and which are not. So though ebay is usually overpriced for buying, simply using it as a gateway for trades could save alot of hassle.
I am going to point this out as it is against ebay rules and it is also unfair to the seller. 
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2013, 07:27:17 AM »
-Trade through ebay. Simply create a lot with your item and list it as WAY overpriced. Example: $100 for a pony worth only $20. List it as "Buy it now or best offer." Then you will receive offers of lower amounts. Tell your trading partner to offer whatever amount you agreed on and then you'll know to accept only her offer.
Ebay keeps good track of buyers and sellers and will refund your money if anything goes wrong. Ebay also has the feedback system tracking which sellers are trustworthy and which are not. So though ebay is usually overpriced for buying, simply using it as a gateway for trades could save alot of hassle.

Many people trade here because there are a LOT of problems with ebay. In addition, doing it this way would mean having to pay listing fees, final value fees, fees on shipping... it would end up making everything more expensive. Not to mention being extremely against eay rules.

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »

There are ways around this of course but most people aren't internet-savvy enough to figure them out.

Other suggestions:

No offense, but you're here for like 10 days and you're telling the Mods, who have been keeping us safe for years, what they should be doing.  Please. 
Trades are apart of this community, and how most good people establish a positive reputation.  Unfortunately, there are some really bad apples who take advantage.  That would be where Ponyadore fits in.  Trading through eBay won't solve any problems, only create more for honest people. 

Maybe instead of offering advice, you should understand how this community works first.

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Arianna

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »

There are ways around this of course but most people aren't internet-savvy enough to figure them out.

Other suggestions:

No offense, but you're here for like 10 days and you're telling the Mods, who have been keeping us safe for years, what they should be doing.  Please. 
Trades are apart of this community, and how most good people establish a positive reputation.  Unfortunately, there are some really bad apples who take advantage.  That would be where Ponyadore fits in.  Trading through eBay won't solve any problems, only create more for honest people. 

Maybe instead of offering advice, you should understand how this community works first.

Michelle, KaguraPony only meant well.  Ten days or not, she offered some good advice.  Tracking IP addresses is almost a given in many places online anymore; and, it does add to security.  Also eBay is a business and able to give securities that this forums owners and moderators may just not be able to for whatever reasons.  I think you shouldn't blow her off so brazenly.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:32:24 PM by Arianna »

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »

It was already brought up that the fees involved for the party selling would be HUGE. It's really actually quite safe buying from the forums so long as you pay with protected methods -paypal, not as a "gift" payment, you're organized and not afraid to open a case should your claim time come to a close when you're not getting communication or proof of shipment. I never want to file against a seller, but I've had to twice on ebay when I got the sense that excuses were time delaying tactics to allow my paypal window to run out (low and behold, both never did ship like they said they did, both went naru under a sea of negs).

For my forum stuff I keep a binder with sales/purchases/trades. I fill in with pen the details and dates- so I can easily keep track of my paypal window. If a purchase is getting close to the cutoff I highlight that line. Also, I remember easily exactly what I bought and from whom when I go in spending sprees. :) I find it a lot safer having those details down on paper as one can have a "delete all" boo boo with pm's.Of course, leaving honest feedback for sellers and traders helps us all.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:01:20 PM by FantasticFirefly »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal