collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Adults Should Read Adult Books" anyone else bugged by this?  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: "Adults Should Read Adult Books" anyone else bugged by this?
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »
It's an article that was written and published to get a reaction. This will probably be posted on Reddit, tons of people are going to read it, the page is going to get a huge traffic spike, and some of those people are probably going to bookmark this guys page so they can keep going back to it and feel like they have something to feel self righteous about.

Don't follow the link, don't leave a comment, don't give the guy the time of day. It's a troll who wants attention. Ignore it.

This...It's ridiculous satire. He writes satirical articles quite often, apparently. I don't think he really believes this. He's just trying to be ridiculous and write to get a rise out of people.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2012, 12:11:45 AM »
Okay, that person is just a plain idiot who has no idea how to live.

You read what you want. Period.

Second of all, it is perfectly alright to read youth fiction just as it's perfectly fine to read children's illustrated books. If you see an adult reading these somewhere, have you ever stopped to consider that maybe, just maybe, that person actually writes things like those, thus, has to read those types of books as well? Even if that is not the case, how about being a bit less judgmental?

Third of all, The Hunger Games is NOT for kids. It's a late teens/young adults series. It has BLOOD and GORE, people DIE in as many imaginable ways possible and it is quite interesting on many levels, if may I add. Same for Harry Potter, since you can tell the story grew from a fantasy thing for kids to something more mature over time.

Also, "I appreciate that adults occasionally watch Pixar movies or play video games. That’s fine. Those media don’t require much of your brains. Books are one of our few chances to learn. There’s a reason my teachers didn’t assign me to go home and play three hours of Donkey Kong."

This is clearly stated by someone who doesn't understand crap about animation nor has never even been close to video games. This person is assuming far too much because you CAN learn a lot from animation and games as well and books are NOT the few chances to learn at all.

Seriously, from which hole did this person come from?! D: And people like this have far too much attention nowadays.

Domingo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
Check this article out, where he complains that Indian inmigrants now live in his old hometown: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1999416,00.html

He's also been plugging a book he wrote called "Man Made: A Stupid Quest for Masculinity", the title of which should make obvious what the rest is about. To me he doesn't come off as a highbrow hipster, more a bigoted right-wing zealot who would like it better if everyone in the world was a white American male.

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »
Wait, are you positive this is satire?  I hope it is, but I'm not sure...

Not only was the book thing insulting, but also the remark about video games not requiring the use of your brain.  This ***** has obviously never played Zelda or Portal.  Those games break my brain all the time!  Even Kirby games have their moments!

Why is it so hard for some people to respect others' opinions?  Adults reading the books mentioned are not hurting anyone, so leave them alone.  Simple as that!

Edit:  Yeah, total satire, total troll.  The article Domingo posted proves that when he starts talking about all the "cool" things he did as a teenager.  Can I have a bat to hit this person with?  You know, just so I can knock some sense into him?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:22:19 PM by ApertureScience »

Offline sparkykandy

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »
I'm curious to know what he means by adult books?  Does he mean books that are written for adults regardless if they have any themes, symbolism, or what not or books that you read for literary purposes?

Anyways, I'm not much of a reader, but when I do read it's for fun.  Though, I do find my tastes skewing to older literature rather than more modern stuff, so I can't really comment on adult vs young adult fiction.  :unsure:

Is currently on a King Arthur kick right now, and it's interesting, I found myself enjoying The Once and Future King and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight more now then back in high school and college when I was required to read them.  Though, in the case of The Once and Future King, having to read that sucker in just four days because I didn't realize that the Myth and Legend class had a required summer reading list and the test was within the first week we got back might have something to do with my enjoyment of it.
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Betelgeuse

« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »
I'm an author. I write stories in an area between child and adult. (possibly young adult, haven't gotten a successful coverletter so I'm unsure) But oh my goodness.
Someone on the internet telling me I'm not allowed to read what I want to read? Really?
I read whatever is in the subject matter of my interests, whether that be picture book for easy reader or a classic revered by millions.
Apparently my favorite book series is for youth. I always thought tDiR could be enjoyed by everyone but it's listed as youth.
By this person's logic I shouldn't be reading it!?
Gahhhhh. I am so very offended right now. People need to mind their own business.
You can't tell me what the f-RAINBOWS I can and can't read thank you very much.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal