collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro is starting a NEW approach to merchandise  (Read 7153 times)

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro is starting a NEW approach to merchandise
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
Wow- did anyone read this rumor? (linked on EQD as http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/141z35/season_4_the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly/)  Who knows if it is legit or complete crap-   Could be either... but I suspect that it is true just based on the content.  Plus it also makes sense that the info was leaked this way with no source so the person wouldn't get in trouble with Hasbro...

I am pretty sure it's fake. Anyone working on the show should of signed a confidentiality contract. They have no business discussing the season finale. Further more, if they were working on the show-- than they probably wouldn't have much knowledge about merchandise.

Besides, I think the info kind of contradicts itself. And miss bubble butt wasn't going to be in the toyline anyway.. There was NO WAY Hasbro was planning to release her in any other form than the SDCC thing, especially after the controversy last year. The person who signed up to make the "news" post on reddit, the username is "MarketingThrowaway". ... eh, yeah, ok.

And if it's true, that person should be fired immediately. But I highly doubt it's not.

I am going to say it's probably true. We HAVE had pictures of where she becomes an allicorn more then once. Even the plush maker Funrise has had promo pics of their plush with Twilight sparkle as a allicorn.

Also, how much have you seen of the grey pegasus in season 3 as a bg character? Not much at all.

Info can leak, regardless if you signed a slip of paper or not. Obviously a few are not happy about the changes.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »
I really don't want to start pointing out the contradictions in the statement.

But they claim they were brought in to work on season 4... which... really has nothing to do with season 3, which they keep spouting "info" about.

Miss bubblebutt has not been in season 3 at all. No cross eyed pony has been spotted yet. (She has been KINDA shown, but NOT with cross eyes,--- which is a chunk of her character (I say that loosely).-- which is why I said no cross eyes. So I personally dismiss it as NOT her.) So what is this junk about her being "phased out". The decision not to include her happened when they were working S3, because of the drama that happened when she was given a voice in S2. There was no phasing out "to get rid of". Gone. Now. Not season 4. It's obvious why.

Spoiler
Ok, Twilight Sparkle as an alicorn. *sigh* It's not that I don't think it could happen, but it's been a rumor for about a month now. But if I am listening to this person... How could they try to "fix" something that was in season 3, when they were brought in to work on season 4.

I could go on... but really. If this person does work for Habsro, they should be fired so fast it's not even funny.. because there are probably 2 statements said in there that would merit firing.

But seriously. MarketingThrowaway?

And pfft (to the rumor~ not at anyone). 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:40:06 PM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
Could you guys please not discuss the rumor outside spoiler boxes, on the off chance that it's true?  :(  Or better yet, move that discussion to a new thread?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
To be honest this almost reads like Hasbro hasn't like something that's been going on. The idea of restructuring used by a big company - I don't know a lot of times they use restructuring as a pretty word to just mean some folks are getting fired or replaced.

I mean, this is me just looking at it one way.

Then again they almost read like Hasbro is laying down some law, coming in and completely taking over what previously they had either other people doing or didn't really like everything that was going on so they're putting in a big wheel to oversee things and make sure whatever comes out of the other companies is approved by hasbro.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
Spoiler
If Twilight does become an Alicorn like the leaked artwork suggests, I would assume that it's a temporary spell of some kind. Children's cartoons are made for easy syndication, and changing the main character's appearance so drastically and permenantly just wouldnt fly. This is the same reason why I think that the CMCs won't get their cutie marks. I do not believe that FIM will be able to change this standard...

Like Banditpony said... If that post is real, then whomever wrote it must not care to keep their job. Given how competitive the TV industry is, I really have to doubt the heck out of this.

... I guess we'll see what happens soon!

Karen, in regards to the "restructuring," I thought the same thing! It's high level corporate talk for sure.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »
That's great if it means they'll start making more brushables from the show! Most of the Hasbro creations are forgettable.

I actually quite disagree with this.  The non-character ponies have been some of the more colorful and interesting.  Imo, most of the background characters in FiM are very blah.

I do hope that this means Hasbro will make more playsets or conversly, create the new ponies and have the FiM team animate them. 

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »
I prefer the Hasbro-created brushables as is and am glad that they're trying to keep ponies from the TV series to a minimum. If they're going to give in and cater to, well, then as stated before Hasbro's losing my patronage.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »
UPon reflection I do think the rumor is probably bunk-  it just doesn't make sense coming from an animator.

Anyways- who knows what the news means- I just hope it means new ponies....

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:43:18 PM by Galactica »

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 06:45:54 PM »
That's great if it means they'll start making more brushables from the show! Most of the Hasbro creations are forgettable.

I actually quite disagree with this.  The non-character ponies have been some of the more colorful and interesting.  Imo, most of the background characters in FiM are very blah.

I do hope that this means Hasbro will make more playsets or conversly, create the new ponies and have the FiM team animate them. 

I very much agree to this, also...

Spoiler
I do not believe the Twilight Sparkle alicorn thing for a second. If I'm proven wrong, I'm proven wrong but it makes NO sense. I've seen some of the artwork of her as an alicorn but it's all fan stuff. Besides that, I don' think you can just BECOME an alicorn, so far what we've seen the current alicorns were always that way (like Cadance as a child, with young Twilight Sparkle). So no, I think it's a hoax.

On the front of merchandise, while making more stuff accessible for adults is great, but I really hope they don't just cater to the b-words. Even some of those popular background ponies are turning more like the mane 6 to me, merchandise wise. Maybe I'd like more merch with Ploomette or Plumsweet on it. Either way I hope they can make things more diverse, maybe add some toys into the cartoon later like they've done in the past. Either way I'm a long standing MLP fan, but I hope they don't change things too much.

Lon-san

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 11:04:01 PM »
I don't know what to think.  I hope it means nice new stuff! I prefer a show-based pony to a similar Hasbro-creation but there are so many idea that the show won't end up exploring and I think new pony designs are good for filling the visual gaps and making the line diverse. And it gives the kids a chance to make up head-cannons, which is cool :D

*Clip*
Miss bubblebutt has not been in season 3 at all. No cross eyed pony has been spotted yet. So what is this junk about her being "phased out". The decision not to include her happened when they were working S3, because of the drama that happened when she was given a voice in S2. There was no phasing out "to get rid of". Gone. Now. Not season 4. It's obvious why.

One of the recent episodes, either Babs Seed or Magic Duel, showed her from the back in a crowd scene. I wish I could remember which because I was kind of excited. It's a danm shame the whole thing got spoiled. I wish they could keep her in the background, shown partially or something. From the back, off in a corner or from the side so nobody can even tell if the eyes straight or not. As exciting as the speaking role was to her fans, I'd trade it for her being a background pony again.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 02:53:52 AM »

*Clip*
Miss bubblebutt has not been in season 3 at all. No cross eyed pony has been spotted yet. So what is this junk about her being "phased out". The decision not to include her happened when they were working S3, because of the drama that happened when she was given a voice in S2. There was no phasing out "to get rid of". Gone. Now. Not season 4. It's obvious why.

One of the recent episodes, either Babs Seed or Magic Duel, showed her from the back in a crowd scene. I wish I could remember which because I was kind of excited. It's a danm shame the whole thing got spoiled. I wish they could keep her in the background, shown partially or something. From the back, off in a corner or from the side so nobody can even tell if the eyes straight or not. As exciting as the speaking role was to her fans, I'd trade it for her being a background pony again.

I wouldn't worry about her dissapearing. Season 3 was probably just in production when the drama was at it highest. Even if they remove her from the show and Hasbro products, i doubt they will remove her from licensed products. She is too much of an easy cash cow.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 04:09:39 AM »
Spoiler
One Twilight becoming an Alicorn and the CMC getting their cutie marks: Remember we're coming to the end of the original purchase of episodes and the first block to go into syndication.  Permanent changes that are going to happen take place around this time in a cartoon's life.
Spoiler
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 05:06:25 AM »
If any of the rumors are true, then fair enough. But I'll believe it when I see it :rolleyes:

More background characters would be awesome, as would better QC. But, again, I will believe it when it happens. 

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

popyduggan

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 06:40:29 AM »
The dude in the spoiler story just rolled all the rumors into a convienient little story and in any area where credibility is required, they say it's top secret.

I mean, the VAs don't even know which episode is which, so how can one person in one department have an all-seeing eye to every direction the franchise is headed in? "The show won't be good anymore under direct orders from Hasbro! Oh noes!"

It's total trolling.

As much as I like the thought of FiM ponies, I like the "one-shot" brushable ponies moreso. I mean, aren't creativity and imagination part of what MLP is? Seeing M6 every other wave is disappointing enough even though they probably are great for newcomers, they should all just be sold in a handy dandy 6 pack boxed set every season to make way for collectors that plan to buy more than those 6 ponies as singles.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »
If it turns out to be a good thing, that's well....good.  I would like to see more characters besides the same ones they've been showing.  I think they should make a Zecora playset of her hut and have potions and things inside so it's like being in Zecora's house.  I think sided characters like her need more notice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal