collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro is starting a NEW approach to merchandise  (Read 7112 times)

BerryPunch

• Trade Count: (0)
Hasbro is starting a NEW approach to merchandise
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
Well look at these here! There is possibly hope to the g4 toyline!!!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hasbro-restructures-tv-film-efforts-400537
http://tbivision.com/news/2012/12/hasbro-to-integrate-film-and-tv-units/20580/
Here is pretty much what they're doing in a nutshell from EQD!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Guys, I have mixed feelings about this, but it might be good.
What do you think?
We might be seeing way more diverse merch!!!
 :frolic:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:10:01 PM by BerryPunch »

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro is starting a NEW approach to merchandise
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »
Hmm, this looks promising! I would love to see more play sets and ponies based on the show, I'm sure collectors and children alike would love it if Hasbro shifted their focus to FIM instead of pumping out re-release after re-release. The TV show has a ton of potential for interesting merch tie-ins after all! We'll see where this goes in the future. :)

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:38:16 PM »
That's great if it means they'll start making more brushables from the show! Most of the Hasbro creations are forgettable.

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »
I'd really like more characters but I'd also like Hasbro to look into quality control.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:47:57 PM »
I do also hope that it means fewer multiple mane 6 releases -

Wouldn't it be awesome if they made some body molds like the show? (IE Big Mac shape)

BerryPunch

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »
So either way more accuracy and show-to-toy things, or FIM will be more of a commercial with more toy-to-show things.

I hope it's the first!!!

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »
I feel the merch is already pretty diverse. Hot Topic is putting mlp on pretty much everything they got, from underwear to headphones. What i really hope for is a toyline that isn't mostly just re-releases.
Honestly, i hope the show is not becoming more important than the toys. I already miss the more interesting ponies we got at the start of G4. I want my toys to be designed by toy designers. Not someone who was copy pasting some stuff in flash to fill out a scene.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »
More show-themed/show accurate stuff sounds amazing!  Maybe this means that they'll finally make a Twilight Sparkle toy with THREE colors in her hair instead of two!  You know, like in the show? 

I dearly hope that quality control picks up as a result of this.  That is one of my main concerns with the line (the other is the endless amount of main 6 releases).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:09:16 PM by Tropical_Sunset »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 03:17:28 PM »
Toy market? Or all merchandise in general. I think there is a difference. One of these things is internal, the other tends to licensed.

US toy manufacturer Hasbro is to integrate all of its content all of its content businesses under one division to be run by Hasbro Studios

The actual title of the article ... means something different than "New approach to merchandise" to me. In my eyes, it is just a restructure of management.

But really, I personally have no opinion. Sometimes with changes like this, it could take a long time for any real change to take place. And we don't even know what kind of changes they are.

If it is a major change -- ya know, some people will hate it -- others will like it.. and etc.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:27:29 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 03:24:21 PM »
I feel the merch is already pretty diverse. Hot Topic is putting mlp on pretty much everything they got, from underwear to headphones. What i really hope for is a toyline that isn't mostly just re-releases.
Honestly, i hope the show is not becoming more important than the toys. I already miss the more interesting ponies we got at the start of G4. I want my toys to be designed by toy designers. Not someone who was copy pasting some stuff in flash to fill out a scene.

This! My favorite part of the G1 line was the diverisity in the toys, not just the same few poses in different colours.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
My first reaction:  Yay!  There's hope for Flim and Flam toys yet! :hearts:

My second reaction:  Pretty much this \/ which was said so succinctly.

*snippy*

I dearly hope that quality control picks up as a result of this.  That is one of my main concerns with the line (the other is the endless amount of main 6 releases).

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
Wow- did anyone read this rumor? (linked on EQD as http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/141z35/season_4_the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly/)  Who knows if it is legit or complete crap-   Could be either... but I suspect that it is true just based on the content.  Plus it also makes sense that the info was leaked this way with no source so the person wouldn't get in trouble with Hasbro...

On the other hand, a rabid fan with enough information could just have easily have come to these conclusions...
Spoiler
Sorry if this post comes off as rambling, but I've got a bone to pick.
First, let's start this off with a bit of positive news. The good: There is a 4th season of MLP in the works. I know because I've been brought in to work on it. I'd prefer to keep specifics out of it, as I'm fairly certain some of what I'm about to say could get me fired. Daniel Ingram is back, all the VAs are back, most of the writers/animators and such are back.
However, Hasbro has started to take more control in the development of My Little Pony, and have made some, frankly, terrible decisions. We're all still optimistic about the show and are working to bring you a great show, but it's hard to work with some of the stuff they're forcing on us.
This brings me to the bad: Twilight Sparkle becomes an alicorn princess in the S3 finale. This was not something we had any control over. This was purely a move by Hasbro to sell more toys. Some of you may have seen images from Hasbro's overseas offices with alicorn Twilight, these are in fact accurate. We have tried to do our best to weave this into the plot of S3, but this is still something that probably should never have happened. However, this pales into something that came down from above regarding S4.
The ugly: "Drama Pony Hooves" has been canned totally. As of Season 4, we are expressly forbidden to put her anywhere in a shot. After controversy last season, they attempted to pull her entirely, but due to fan backlash, decided "phasing the character out" would be a more effective way to get rid of her. You may have noticed her greatly reduced appearances in S3. This is in part because of that decision.
The one thing I ask is that you don't blame us for what we have to do. The animators, composers, and script writers had nothing to do with this decision. there is nothing we can do. Short of an overwhelming response from the fanbase, I fear nothing can be done. At least I can say I tried to fix this.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »
Wow- did anyone read this rumor? (linked on EQD as http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/141z35/season_4_the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly/)  Who knows if it is legit or complete crap-   Could be either... but I suspect that it is true just based on the content.  Plus it also makes sense that the info was leaked this way with no source so the person wouldn't get in trouble with Hasbro...

I am pretty sure it's fake. Anyone working on the show should of signed a confidentiality contract. They have no business discussing the season finale. Further more, if they were working on the show-- than they probably wouldn't have much knowledge about merchandise.

Besides, I think the info kind of contradicts itself. And miss bubble butt wasn't going to be in the toyline anyway.. There was NO WAY Hasbro was planning to release her in any other form than the SDCC thing, especially after the controversy last year. The person who signed up to make the "news" post on reddit, the username is "MarketingThrowaway". ... eh, yeah, ok.

And if it's true, that person should be fired immediately. But I highly doubt it's not.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline RavenFeather

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 04:05:16 PM »
So, am I the only one hoping maybe this means more hair in the tails?  Because their tails are rather pathetic right now!

More ponies would be nice too, Boy Molds, Sea Ponies, etc, etc.  You know the drill.  XD  And less Mane 6.  I still love them, just tone it down a smidge Hasbro, k?
 Thanks Bronely!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »
I hope they have MORE POSES, regardless of all else.

I was about to agree with Maliceiuse about wanting toys designed by toy designers, but then I paused and really thought about the end of G3 / G3.5.   Honestly, it felt pretty generic as soon as "Crystal Princess" hit.  I want something better than "HAI GUYS I SLATHERED CLIP ART ALL OVER G3.5 SCOOTALOO LOLZ".  Or Blushie.

I want diversity of colors, POSES, and symbols, and did I mention POSES?  How about some actual sets, too?  Like, "here are six scented fruit-themed ponies"?

Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal