collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Latest dollyhair order - less hair by weight - anyone else?  (Read 22975 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Latest dollyhair order - less hair by weight - anyone else?
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2012, 03:53:18 PM »
I have weighed over 400 bags of hair (MLP size) and am currently getting the data together to make some graphs of it.  I will post the results as soon as I have them compiled.  This constitutes 32 bags from the "questionable" lot of hair and ones going back several years.
I'm sure a lot of us will be looking forward to seeing that data. I will tomorrow buy a scale and weigh what I have in older hanks... as I am suspicious of one of the hank sets I received in the past (it was a blend). I'd be a tad leery right now to order any of the current hair just for what test purposes

Post Merge: December 14, 2012, 04:07:07 PM

Another thing that I just thought of - with this latest batch of hair weighing less, are we still paying the same amount of postage as we were with the larger, normal batches?
My thinking is that is if the hanks weigh less, the postage should be less since it is done by weight unless the postage rate went up again and I just didn't pay attention. Either way, the shipping cost should be separate from the item cost.
Hmmm good questions... let me look at something

Ok, so I looked at my DH emails I got from past orders... The order I chose to replicate was from Nov. 25, 2011.... which did have a blackfriday code, but without said code the total would have been 19.03 with the shipping... Now my un-ordered replication uses the same colors and blends and still comes up to the same amount in shipping and total ($15.60 for the hair itself and $3.43)... normal postage rate here in Louisiana is $0.45 for normal letters and $5.50 for priority... I -think- though she does first class shipping which the weight is needed but if she has away to put a standard weight in the payment thing then it will automatically calculate the shipping :|

Post Merge: December 14, 2012, 04:11:28 PM

My basing isn't that great but I -do- think she does have the weight of each hank package already imputed into the checkout system

Edit: and mom confirmed this for me as she has a home business and is able to impute the weight and type of shipping automatically at checkout
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:16:45 PM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2012, 04:11:43 PM »
She charges a flat fee for her shipping based on the average weight of her hair, as best i can tell. You can see if you add and subtract items to your cart, your shipping goes up or down. We know that every hank weighs differently. It isn't weighing the hank. It's a flat fee. And the flat fee she charges for 1 hank is more than it needs to be, if memory serves. I'd have to go play around on the website to know for sure.. Im just too tired to do that today. But by averaging her price up like that, it helps to cover packaging costs. I was fine with the shipping prices with the old hanks.. But with these new hanks.. She isn't likely to adjust the shipping costs. So the profit margin on her shipping costs might be unacceptable now. Not sure.

Offline Airiel

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Professional Parasol Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »
So, here is what I came up with for 376 "old" bags of hair and 32 new bags.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The average for my new bags was 11.9 grams, while the average for the 376 bags was 12.1.  Not statistically different in my opinion, especially with the oddball outliers over 20.  I have them all sorted by color if anyone seems to think certain colors are culprits. I did have an old bag that was 8 grams, 8 bags that were 9 grams, and 33 bags that were 10 grams.  None of my new order was under 11 grams. 

From this, I would have to conclude that the over 14-15 gram bags are flukes, not standards.  And, as far as I can tell, it seems like when I ordered one or two bags of a color at a time they might be a little higher, whereas ordering 4 to 6 of a color made them more consistent.  167 bags of hair were 11 grams.  Can't argue with that....

ETA: Oh, as for the 7 blend bags I have, they average at 15.3 grams.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:17:07 PM by Airiel »
Airiel

"Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly."

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2012, 05:23:48 PM »
Hey guys, a friend of mine emailed me this link that some might want to look into, it does pertain to Dollyhair and the payment stuff
http://cyanodolls.blogspot.mx/2012/07/dollyhair-has-gone-to-sz.html

I don't know much about it, so I can't say how accurate it is or anything and I'm not trying to start anything just more info to look into
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2012, 05:25:34 PM »
Hey guys, a friend of mine emailed me this link that some might want to look into, it does pertain to Dollyhair and the payment stuff
http://cyanodolls.blogspot.mx/2012/07/dollyhair-has-gone-to-sz.html

I don't know much about it, so I can't say how accurate it is or anything and I'm not trying to start anything just more info to look into

Yeah, I was charged almost $4 in "processing fee" on my last order. No notice of this anywhere though.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »
That's very interesting Airiel. But unfortunately I don't think your findings do anything to change the fact that many people have had a very different experience than that.

And yes, I was charged a processing fee as well when I don't think I had been in the past. I assumed it was something to do with using the 2 check out service to be able to use paypal, but did other people get fees just paying with their credit card directly? I do agree that a fee like that should be mentioned BEFORE you get to the checkout.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:45:28 PM by NoDivision »

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2012, 07:34:16 PM »
And yes, I was charged a processing fee as well when I don't think I had been in the past. I assumed it was something to do with using the 2 check out service to be able to use paypal, but did other people get fees just paying with their credit card directly? I do agree that a fee like that should be mentioned BEFORE you get to the checkout.

Yup, I paid with a credit card, not through Paypal, and I was charged a fee.

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
Wow, okay. Thanks for mentioning the processing fee. Out of curiosity, I went and re-added all the items I had purchased to cart and the totals with estimated shipping total. vs what I was charged.

First order: $36.44 as added new in cart today, $37.90 was charged on my order
Second order: $31.96 as added new in cart today, $33.60 was charged on my order

Now, of course, the calculations could have been changed slightly since my last my orders 1-2 weeks ago.
However, this also made me focus on the cost of shipping.

The items in my package, including the "gift" bracelet weigh 5 oz. Shipping for that weight is only $2.29 according to USPS.com and by Paypal's shipping, even with delivery confirmation, it's only $1.98. However, according to the Dollyhair website (since prices are not broken down in the receipt we are sent I had to go back and add the amount of my order to the cart system) shipping is $5.82. That is a far cry from $1.98. Even if you were to include the cost of packaging, a plain plastic envelope doesn't cost anywhere near that amount.

So, not only are people getting less hair (or as has been stated, the intended amount of hair) but they are being charged odd fees (I'm assuming this is a non-disclosed fee from the checkout that she is charging people instead of taking into cost) along with being greatly overcharged the cost of shipping...

Edit: On a hunch, I processed the numbers through a paypal fee calculator and her charges vs the checkout amount are actually a bit higher than what paypal would take about by about 10-20 cents, but it could be the reason why paypal buyers are getting charged a wavering amount vs. credit card orders. Either way, under paypal's policies stores aren't supposed to charge a separate fee for using paypal. I know some places add it into the processing or item price, but having it as an un-notified extra fee is not okay.

Edit 2: Also wanted to add that even if the package was at double the weight (as with older orders of hanks) shipping still would have only been $2.82 according to Paypal.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:11:04 PM by zannid »

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2012, 02:52:58 AM »
Well, until this gets sorted- Where else can I order from that has similar prices?

Offline simplysteffie

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://simplysteffie.deviantart.com/
« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2012, 04:12:40 AM »
Every answer is always an excuse. I'm tired of hearing them.

Tina's "sister" site: http://www.mylittlecustoms.com/NYLON_Hair/cat635041_562097.aspx
Customer service is much better, shipping is fast- prices are a bit higher for US customers.

Shannon's hair: www.retrodollsus.com
Again, good customer service, fast shipping. Prices are equal to Tina's- tons of hair, still trying to get the all Nylon we're wanting.

Restoredoll: http://stores.restoredoll.com/StoreFront.bok
Good customer service. Fast shipping. Decent prices, different hair; specializes in Katsilk.
WANTED/Will Buy: All TE Locket's, UK Starlight's & pink G1's
My DA: http://simplysteffie.deviantart.com/
My FB: http://www.facebook.com/hottdamnitssteff
Sales on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/hottdangitssteff/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
(Thanks for the avatar Adrean!)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2012, 05:23:57 AM »
Shannon's working on adding like around 20 more hair colors too. She's got an indiegogo project up for it recently. Indiegogo is like kickstarter. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link, but you can PM me for it if you like.

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #236 on: December 15, 2012, 07:16:25 AM »
I tried ordering from My Little Customs once, and they charged nearly $10 shipping for one hank. :/ So, I'd say that the prices are pretty high for an American. If I ever do shop from there, I'll probably ship it to my British friend to avoid the cost.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 15, 2012, 07:24:02 AM »
I've ordered from Retro UK as well, before Shannon had things totally up and running.  Good customer service.  Prices and shipping good.  Came quickly.  :)
:socks:   :frog:

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 15, 2012, 07:49:53 AM »
I've ordered from Retro UK as well, before Shannon had things totally up and running.  Good customer service.  Prices and shipping good.  Came quickly.  :)

Okay, now I just need to figure out how to navigate the site lulz!

Offline Ambar

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 15, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
I tried ordering from My Little Customs once, and they charged nearly $10 shipping for one hank. :/ So, I'd say that the prices are pretty high for an American. If I ever do shop from there, I'll probably ship it to my British friend to avoid the cost.
same to me :(
you´ll see.....hair from dollyhair is 3.12 , the equivalent to mexican pesos is 39, if i buy from my little customs the price is 3 pounds each, in mexican pesos...60!!!! omg only for one hank without shipping charges!!!

Post Merge: December 15, 2012, 08:08:31 AM

Okay, now I just need to figure out how to navigate the site lulz!

it´s not complicated, if you have any problem just ask her directly, since my first order she treated me very well and was kind and helpful

just check in all the tabs, my favorite hair is monofiber and the 52 inch nylon
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:08:31 AM by ambar_jul »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal