collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Latest dollyhair order - less hair by weight - anyone else?  (Read 23299 times)

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Latest dollyhair order - less hair by weight - anyone else?
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
Might the machine be in need of repairs? Oh dear...:( I'm sorry, Tina, that you are going through something so terrible in your personal life. Despite everything that is going on here, make sure that you take care of yourself, too, okay?

I'm only a year into customizing...so I guess I really don't have much to compare to, but the hanks I received back in February and again in August/September were indeed bulkier hanks than the new ones. The explanation seems reasonable. Maybe to settle this matter of the thinner hanks there could be a limited time discount to arena members or something like that as well as a note on the MLP hair ordering page stating what has already been explained in this thread to help for future orders? Just a small suggestion. *holds up white flag*

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »
Maybe to settle this matter of the thinner hanks there could be a limited time discount to arena members or something like that

Some people would prefer to have their previous/existing orders fixed before they'd even consider ordering again. Promise of future discounts does not fix existing problems.

cookiejarjelly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2012, 09:39:03 PM »
Going by Tina's definition of an MLP hank: if a hank is made of two spools (48 strands) spun 35 times (or one spool of 24 strands spun 70 times, which is the same amount of hair), then there should be 70 plugs in the hank, each 24 strands thick. Someone earlier reported finding about 37 plugs. So yes, there's definitely a problem here. The thickness of the hair on the spool is not wrong, and even if the formula was changed to be lighter, the amount of hair is still less than what it should be.

As for me, I was practicing rehairing on some G4s, but I ran out on the second pony. I don't particularly mind since I don't customize very much, but it's weird having a bald section on a pony, even a practice one. I suppose I'll hop over to the trade thread or something.

(Oh, dear, was that too harsh? Newbie here, and I dunno if that came off mean or not.)

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2012, 09:46:39 PM »
ok, i'm really confused now... tina earlier wrote this:

So now I'm confused. You guys are saying that the older hanks weigh more. I can't imagine why, other than Lauren having spun them too many times. But Lauren's hanks were 18-20 grams apiece?? That's WAY OFF! That just doesn't make sense how she could be that far off. A 38" hank should weigh 22 grams, since a 38" hank is double the hair of a My Little Pony hank. Are you guys sure that you weren't weighing 38" hanks, thinking that they were My Little Pony hanks? That would explain it.

when i go onto the dolly hair site, and click on mlp hair, it states that a hank IS 38 inches... yet she is saying a 38 inch hank is double that of a mlp hank??? am i reading something wrong??

CUT AND PASTED FROM DH WEBSITE:

In the toy market, nylon hair is used for My Little Ponies by Hasbro. The manufacturer that I bought the nylon hair from has confirmed with me that Hasbro is their customer and that they are Hasbro's supplier of nylon hair for My Little Ponies. This is the REAL STUFF. Genuine MY LITTLE PONY Hair.
How much hair do I get? Here's a photo of "Applejack", along with a hank of "golden delicious" nylon hair, so you can see the comparison:

DOLL
LENGTH OF HAIR
LENGTH ON DOLL
PRICE

My Little Pony
38 inches
You'll cut it on your own! This is enough hair for ONE pony's mane and tail.
$3.12

totes confusing  :huh: :huh:

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2012, 09:51:07 PM »
It is my understanding that the MLP hank is the same length as one of the standard sizes you can order for dolls, but is supposed to be half as much hair as those hanks - hence why it's half the price.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2012, 09:54:54 PM »
This is very sad to see from such a well-known supplier.  :(  14 pages of customer complaints and no resolutions? 

*sighs* 

Also...  perhaps a link to this thread should also be made in Trader Support so as many people see it as possible?
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
ok, that makes sense :biggrin: nice to know i'm not crazy or anything :) i'm understanding now lol!! so maybe people have been getting sent regular hanks in the past rather than mlp hanks by accident?

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2012, 09:59:55 PM »
I don't think that is likely. All of my hanks are very clearly marked as MLP, and I do not think that kind of mistake would have been made over and over and over for years.

Post Merge: December 13, 2012, 10:22:18 PM

Also, found this on Flickr. Looks like customers over in the doll customizing world are noticing the exact same problem, as well as the ongoing issues with communication and customer service.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/salvadordeluniverso/8262629070/in/photostream
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:22:18 PM by NoDivision »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »
wow, problematic wonder how Tina will explain that
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
Oh, and I believe the hair pictured in that photo is saran. So it's not just the nylon that's suddenly being sent in different amounts.

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2012, 10:52:55 PM »
Oh, and I believe the hair pictured in that photo is saran. So it's not just the nylon that's suddenly being sent in different amounts.

No, it isn't. I mainly purchased RD hanks as I use saran for my monster high reroots and this batch was significantly thinner than the one before it.  The small leftovers from two of my used RD hanks were 7 and 10 grams and that's after I used them for a waist-length blend.

Edit: I also weighed the leftovers from two other RD hanks I used for a slightly longer reroot on a MH doll, and those weigh 8 and 9 grams each. Meanwhile, my new, unused hair from my recent order is between 10-13g. I can tell you I definitely used more than 1/3 of each hank I had previously for my reroots.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:02:39 PM by zannid »

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Ah, I don't know why I didn't notice before that you were weighing saran RD hanks. I didn't even think to weigh my saran - I only have one hank that was ordered several months ago. My full RD hank of foxglove lavender weighs in at 19g, where I see that the RD hanks you just received are the new "normal" weight of 10-12g.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:03:10 PM by NoDivision »

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2012, 11:05:07 PM »
I didn't even think to weigh my saran - I only have one hank that was ordered several months ago. My full RD hank of foxglove lavender weighs in at 19g, where I see that the RD hanks you just received are the new "normal" weight of 10-12g.

Yep! The new "normal" does look to be around half of what my previous RD hanks were, so that definitely makes sense in the weight department. Thank you for checking the weights, I didn't have any unused hanks in my box. :)

Offline jwalraven

• Trade Count: (+59)
    • View Profile
    • Jwal's DeviantART
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2012, 11:21:17 PM »
Ok. I'm going to post some info on the hanks I have, what ponies I used them on, when I ordered, ect. All of these are in their original bags with twist tie. Weights were done with a digital "The Biggest Loser" kitchen scale.

Nov. 6 2011
Cherry Pie---16g (+/- 2 g leftovers), the rest went to this pony (G4)
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/050/b/5/peppermint_flurry_custom_by_twilight_kibeti-d4qcbst.png

June 6 2012
Black Magick---11g untouched
Black Magick---12g, parts went to G4 FS peacock and G3 zombie pony
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/256/6/5/g4_fs_swap_custom_by_jwalsshop-d5el0rf.png (G4 FS Peacock)
(Warning: GORE) http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/292/b/e/zombie_custom_swap_by_jwalsshop-d5iah3f.png (G3)
After Midnight---16g, rest went to above FS G4
Deadly Poison---18g, rest went to above FS G4
Pumpkin Spice---11g, rest went to above FS G4
Ultraviolet---13g, rest went to above G3

Sept. 11 2012
Vampire Kiss---14g
Passionfruit---14g
Mango Tango---16g
Nectarine---17g
Butterfly---14g
Virgin Snow---13g
Pomme d'Amour---19g
Garnet Jewel---18g
Roasted Almond---14g

Nov. 15 2012
Butter Pecan---14g
Pumpkin Spice---13g
Chocolate Pudding---12g
Envy---12g

Other hanks that I have ordered and since split in half and sent to off to other people, I weighed them in oz when I split them. Most were 4 oz when I did it.

I hope this info helps out!

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
So if the "new normal" is 10-12g, I have hanks that are under that.  Your website says one hank is enough to rehair one pony.  8 grams of hair is not going to do a pony.  I doubt 10 grams is enough.  Right now I am not happy.  I could tell before I even put them on my scale there where several lightweights in my order.  As others have said, I base my commissions off the cost of my supplies.  If I'm going to have to order more hair, I'll have to raise my prices.
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal