collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Latest dollyhair order - less hair by weight - anyone else?  (Read 23237 times)

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
Re: Latest dollyhair order - less hair by weight - anyone else?
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2012, 04:08:25 AM »
i got my order this morning,

lapis sapphire  @ 11g
stormy sky @ 12g
lemmonaide @ 12g
brilliant pussy cat @ 12g
brilliant black @ 13g
amathyst @ 9 g

and to compare  some unopened hanks from previous orders

ultraviolet @ 18g -order previous to this order
starlight @ 19g - ordered some time at the start of the yr
mixed blues *was one of the mystery discount packs from ages ago* @ 16g

as for shipping time,  im an internatinal customer  , but the shipping time  was within  past peramiters , so  not late or delayed by any means.

any one heard from her yet?

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2012, 06:03:15 AM »
I think everyone should calm down a bit before jumping to so many conclusions.

I don't think anyone is jumping to conclusions. Mostly we're just sitting around waiting for a response.

I mean, the post saying she would be "caught up in a few days" was 10 days ago. So presumably, if she still isn't looking at e-mails, orders made/filled in that time will also be dealing with this issue.

I don't know. I think the way she has her contact page worded has some people riled and the rest of us would just like an answer before the issue continues to encompass more buyers and packages. I myself spent about $70 on the amount of hair I ordered (enough for most of my current customs) and had hoped to have them in time for some Christmas presents. While that may not happen, if when the packages do arrive they aren't enough to root the customs, that's an even bigger issue than the delayed shipment...

I think we're all just a bit upset and anxious and would like a solution. The people who have received their packages are bummed at not being able to complete projects and those who haven't received theirs are worried that after the wait they also won't be able to complete projects.

I'm with you there. One of the colors I needed the most was the lightest- I needed it for hair stripes of 4 ponies (about equivalent to one G1 with shortish hair) and I'm going to be short a tail and a main strip on two different ponies- I'll have to order another hank of it and hope it comes fast as the people who commissioned these have already waited over 3 weeks. Unless someone has a hank or Forget Me Not they can sell me and ship in a hurry I might just lose those jobs and thats about $200 I'll be out :/

edit- Thank you so much for all the messages and people offering me some Forget Me Not so I can finish my work  :hug: You helped me avert a major crisis and it really lifts my spirits to see all the caring members we have in this wonderful community. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:49:29 PM by Sanadaookami »

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »
I'm with you there. One of the colors I needed the most was the lightest- I needed it for hair stripes of 4 ponies (about equivalent to one G1 with shortish hair) and I'm going to be short a tail and a main strip on two different ponies- I'll have to order another hank of it and hope it comes fast as the people who commissioned these have already waited over 3 weeks. Unless someone has a hank or Forget Me Not they can sell me and ship in a hurry I might just lose those jobs and that about $200 I'll be out :/

I PM'd you, I had a partial hank in my destash box.

I didn't mean to make anyone upset, but yes I do see a lot of people jumping on the conclusion mat and re-hashing the same possibilities over and over. I know it's been 5 days since I e-mailed her. She said she should be caught up in a few days AFTER 12/2. So it has been 10 days since she mailed out, but not since she said she MIGHT be caught up. I'm just stating it would be better to be calm and not assume what happened. *shrug*

She does supply hair to people other than us. I keep seeing mention of small niche of pony customisers are most of her orders. She supplies to a lot of doll customisers too. I think that she's quite a bit bigger than people think. That doesn't help the lack of customer service, NO. But it may help you understand why she's so backlogged.

Hopefully we will be getting a response VERY shortly.
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2012, 08:13:32 AM »
Got my order yesterday:

Wisteria- 12g
Lemonade- 12g
Virgin Snow- 10g :(

Just to be clear, these weights are all in-bag, and I've been using my mom's digital Weight Watcher's scale to get the measurements.

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2012, 09:50:36 AM »
Got my hair today. Please note these are all RD hanks with the exception of Fairy's breath. Now, I don't have any full hanks to compare to, but my leftover Red Red Wine which I used in a near-half mixture to reroot a full MH head in waist length hair weighed 10 grams and a mixture of a small amount of the rest of the Red Red Wine and the leftover from the Raven Black from that doll weighed 7 grams.

1 @ 10 grams
3 @ 11 grams
5 @ 12 grams
3 @ 13 grams

If my prior experience is the exception and these are actually the norm, do let me know, but this order did seem only slightly thicker than my first, which I only purchased 4 hanks in... I suppose we'll wait and see!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:04:06 AM by zannid »

Offline Dollyhair

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dollyhair.com
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2012, 12:03:49 PM »
Hello, everyone, Tina here!

OK, first of all, an apology to everyone. Not to lament, and not to skirt any responsibility, but just to let you guys know, I have been going through some SEVERE personal issues with my husband recently. These issues have become something that I have needed to address with the law and with the court system, so those things have taken up much of my time recently. It's a very sad thing when a woman marries a man who is not capable of conducting himself properly, and it angers me that this has happened to me.

...but I'm a strong woman, and I'm taking care of everything successfully!

Moving on, of course there's the issue with the weight of the hanks. Having read through this thread, I'm seeing that previously, the MLP hanks were weighing around 18-20 grams apiece, and nowadays, they're weighing around 12 grams? I *would* blame this issue on my new assistant, but as of about two weeks ago, I have been at the office with her every day, and I have been doing much of the order processing myself. Therefore, I can say with certainty that customers who have received their orders recently have, indeed, beeen receving hanks that are the correct thickness.

So what of the issue with the weight? Well, I can speculate that the manufacturer maaaay be using a different formula. Some plastics are denser than others, so one nylon formulation may produce heavier hair than another. More specifically, here's how I calculate things: the hair is shipped to me on a spool, in "24 strand" format. Basically, this means that 24 strands of hair are clumped together and then wrapped around a plastic core. Think of it like a giant spool of thread. So, for a My Little Pony hank, we use 2 spools of the same color, and these two spools, which comprise 48 strands of hair, are then spun around the machine 35 times. Therefore, 48 strands times 35 spins gives you a total of 1680 strands of hair. That's how we've always done it for a My Little Pony hank. 1680 strands of hair.

There is sometimes a slight variation in this strand count, depending upon who actually operates the machine, but when I operate it, I know that each hank is getting 35 spins. The variation is what accounts for some hanks being 11 grams, some being 13 grams, etc. I don't actually weigh the hanks, but they have not appeared to be thin to me.

Another explanation could be that my old assistant, Lauren, may have been lax when operating the machine, and her hanks may have been too generous... I have no way of knowing.

And, of course, it would be ridiculous for anyone to count the strands of hair in a My Little Pony hank and see if that number comes to 1680, but there's no reason why it shouldn't come to that number, or at least something close to that number.

If you receive a hank that "feels" thin, then the explanation could really just be that it was spun from a brand new spool. The hair around the very outer edge of the spool is very smooth, while the hair around the inner core of the spool is slightly crimped, this being due to the weight of all of the exterior hair having pressed down upon it for so long. Hair that has a slight crimp will definitely appear fuller than totally smooth hair. But still, 1680 strands is 1680 strands, whether they're smooth or crimped.

I am going to put this topic to rest once and for all, and I'm going to run a test right now... ok, a My Little Pony hank of "blueberry mufffin" that I just personally spun at 35 spins is weighing in at 11 grams. I weighed this hank WITH the twist tie on it, and the hank is INSIDE its plastic baggie. Now, let me spin and weigh a hank of "deadly nightshade," which is older hair stock... ok, the "deadly nightshade" hank weighs 11 grams, as well.

So now I'm confused. You guys are saying that the older hanks weigh more. I can't imagine why, other than Lauren having spun them too many times. But Lauren's hanks were 18-20 grams apiece?? That's WAY OFF! That just doesn't make sense how she could be that far off. A 38" hank should weigh 22 grams, since a 38" hank is double the hair of a My Little Pony hank. Are you guys sure that you weren't weighing 38" hanks, thinking that they were My Little Pony hanks? That would explain it.

It's always been 35 spins since the dawn of time, so I have no idea why Lauren would have wavered from this. And for her to have wavered SO MUCH?? The MLP hanks SHOULD weigh 11 grams. They should ALWAYS have weighed 11 grams.

I'm sorry, guys, I don't know what to say. A My Little Pony hank was originally created by me as a hank that offers enough hair for the factory-length mane and tail of a G1. Here's a photo of the "deadly nightshade" MLP hank that I just weighed, so this is what it's supposed to look like:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm sorry to everyone who received ANYTHING other than 11 grams of hair in a MLP hank, because any weight that was under OR over this amount caused people to be mislead.

I am working at the office ALL DAY, EVERY DAY with a completely hands-on approach so that NO mistakes are made anymore. We are still about a week delayed with our shipping (orders placed a week ago are being shipped today), but we are coming along slowly but surely. I hope that everyone has a great holiday!!

Tina

P.S. As far as the phone number, yes, it is disconnected. Previously, the office was not very close to my home, and I wasn't going there very frequently. Therefore, for me to have been answering the phone while I was not at the office would really not have been very helpful to anyone...

BUT I am, like I said, now at the office all day, every day. Therefore, it does make sense for me to implement a new phone number. Let me take care of that right now. Hang on, and I'll be back with the new phone number.

OK, new phone number - (616) 61 DOLLY. That's (616) 613-6559. Please feel free to call!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:35:04 PM by Dollyhair »

[email protected]

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »
thanks for coming to clarify Tina. I hope my text didn't wake you
good luck getting caught up on all your emails and orders!  hopefully life will settle down soon :)

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
Yes, thank you very much for the update.

Looking back at my weights, only a couple of mine were under the 11 grams.

I hope that my order will show up in the next week. If it hasn't, I'll try sending you another email if I haven't heard from you by then.
Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

Offline Dollyhair

• Arena Supporter
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
OK, new phone number - (616) 61 DOLLY. That's (616) 613-6559. Please feel free to call!

[email protected]

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
It's a very good explanation. I'll still be weighing my older hanks because all I -do- order is the 38" hanks of mlp hair from the mlp hair page. However, it could be a some point some of those MLP 38" hanks got mixed up as normal 38" hanks before they were shipped? Like I mentioned when I had ordered in the past I generally ordered straight from the MLP Hair Page XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Dollyhair

• Arena Supporter
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
It's a very good explanation. I'll still be weighing my older hanks because all I -do- order is the 38" hanks of mlp hair from the mlp hair page. However, it could be a some point some of those MLP 38" hanks got mixed up as normal 38" hanks before they were shipped? Like I mentioned when I had ordered in the past I generally ordered straight from the MLP Hair Page XD

Totally possible that the 38" hanks accidentally got mixed in with the regular MLP hanks. Anything is possible. As some of you may already know, I was actually living in Colorado from October 2010 to October 2011 while Dollyhair was run by Lauren from California, so who knows what happened when I wasn't there to supervise? And also, even after I got back to California in October 2011, I still wasn't at the office every day. But I AM NOW!!

[email protected]

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »
My old hanks that were all about 50% heavier and fuller than the new ones are all MLP hanks. I have never ordered anything other than MLP hanks except in saran. Whether the error was made by you personally or by another person working for you, this is still your business.

While I appreciate your post and your explaination, it does not satisfy my situation. As such, I will be contacting you and look forward to reaching a resolution when you are able to devote time to your customers concerns.

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2012, 01:09:27 PM »
I finally got my hair order I received this week weighed, most hanks were 11g, but there were a couple over and under that weight. What bothers me is I have always priced my commissions and ponies based on the amount of hair I had been getting for the last two years in a hank. If this is now going to be the standard I will have to possibly raise my prices. A couple of my newest hanks don't even look like enough to hair a G4 and I know another customizer couldn't make one of the new hanks hair a g4 she was working on. This is very troublesome.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »
I weighed a random selection of 15 full MLP-sized hanks. They were mixed colors and ages, but they were all full. None of them weighed less than 15 grams, where some of the new hanks were 10-12 grams. I've ordered hair for a couple of years and I've never seen the hanks so small.

The way I see it, I don't care if it's an honest mistake or not, a lot of people have gotten less hair than they paid for. We pay for a hank that's enough to rehair one pony and that's not what we got. From now on this needs to be clearly stated on the website and everyone who was shortchanged should get compensated IMO.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »
They're all supposed to be 11g? Really? Going to quote myself here-

Got my order today and I weighed my entire unopened DH stack, some of which I have had from the first order I ever placed over two years ago. The biggest is a hank of Buttercream at 22g and the smallest Poison Ivy at 10g. Most of them weigh between 12-16g.

In the new order, biggest is a hank of Guacamole at 17g and smallest a Spring Meadow at 8g. Most of them are between 11-15g.

So. You're claiming that your old assistant who conveniently doesn't work for you anymore was giving us "too much" hair but then our new orders are just as inconsistent size-wise. More importantly, the recurring theme is that they are smaller hanks overall. Yet they are supposed to be 11 grams, according to you.

In the new order, biggest is a hank of Guacamole at 17g and smallest a Spring Meadow at 8g. Most of them are between 11-15g.

I suppose you're going to say next that since we've been receiving far too much hair this whoooooole time, that you don't owe us anything.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal