collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Latest dollyhair order - less hair by weight - anyone else?  (Read 22981 times)

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
Re: Latest dollyhair order - less hair by weight - anyone else?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 12:38:57 AM »
I'm waiting on my last order .... but what I've noticed on my last few oders was, that these packages were much thicker as the packages I've orderd (lets say about one year ago).

So I was oh wow - they put a bit more in as usual.
But this was prolly a mistake as well??
Dunno.

But up to 8 grams less now sounds pretty sad. I would understand small variations but really that's a bit much.
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline bluemoondreams

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 02:42:39 AM »
i noticed the same too reacently I got less hair but she does have a new member of staff so perhaps they just aren't trained up yet.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 07:35:49 AM »
I'll wait to see who else is able to weigh their hair and share their results. As I said in my original post, it's possible for it to look like more or less hair and not actually be more or less just because of the type of hair or where on the spool it comes from, so I think weight is the only reliable way to tell how much of a diffrence there is.

As I also mentioned, the other bags that I was weighing against were from several older orders, One of them I know I've had at least a year, some of the tohers may be even older than that. I've been ordering from dollyhair for almost 3 years now and never notiecd any inconsistencies like this before. I did also wonder if it was a fluke that my older bags were bigger, but when all of the ones I weighed were pretty consistent in weight it seems unlikely that that was the case.

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 07:50:49 AM »
I guess I'll throw a heads up here just to explain why orders are late. I went to e-mail her to find out what my status was as I had also ordered right after she put the new hair out.

She had a pop-up window stating she was backlogged due to the huge number of orders she received when the new colors came out and just got to shipping most of it on 12/2. SO if you are wondering---try not to fret too much. She just got them out this week. I expected that with the new colors and the sale she ran.

As far as the hair, I should have mine soon. I actually have colors from years ago to compare it to as well. I guess my thing too---I noticed she had been sending MORE hair over the past years. My first few orders (200...7?) seemed to have less hair? I'll need to go through and double check here of course. I'm interested to see Tinas response as well.
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 08:09:52 AM »
That's interesting that some people report there being more hair over the past couple of years. But as that is the amount of hair I've always been used to receiving, I assumed that was the usual ammount.

You know, I think I might have some bags somewhere that are from before I started customizing - they were bought from a member who was getting rid of her old stock. So I might need to find those and weigh them. But as they were from someone else I have no way to really confirm that that are complete hanks. I also have no way to know exactly when they are from. But I'll see what I can find.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:11:51 AM by NoDivision »

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 10:02:37 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on this, as I was actually going to order a number of colors tonight. I don't have any new colors coming but I still have a number of un-used colors from my last order and weighed them (last time I ordered was around late summer of this year). Most of them came out being between 17-19 grams, and up to this point I have been able to get about three ponies haired from one hank (2 adult G4s and 1 G4 filly), depending on the hair length I want. I hope this is just a temporary goof :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2012, 10:41:37 AM »
Just got my order in the mail that was placed sometime shortly after Thanksgiving.  Out of 20 hanks, 7 were 12g, 6 were 11g, 6 were 10g and 1 was 9g.

Went back to my older hair (I think most of it was ordered about a month before this last package got to me, as the stuff I've had for a real long time I've taken the twist ties off of and replaced with zip ties, so I didn't weigh any of those, since the zip tie would throw them off).  Of the 21 hanks I had not zip tied, they were: 1 at 21g, 2 at 17g, 2 at 16g, 3 at 15g, 4 at 14g, 1 at 13g, 4 at 12g, 2 at 11g, 1 at 10g and 1 at 6g (yes, my 8g one from earlier was apparently actually 6 and I had remembered the number wrong). 

I'm not sure what weight she advertises the MLP hanks as, but I do seem to recall that she tended to run them heavy in the past.  If a hank is supposed to weigh a certain amount, I actually am fine with one weighing within a gram or two due to human/mechanical error.  But when you get to a 5+ gram difference, that does actually end up adding up...  Again, this isn't a *huge* deal for me, since I rehair on a plug-by-plug basis and don't have any sort of business/income that runs around pony customs, but I do see how it might be a significant difference for some of you :(

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
I just got my 6 hanks of hair today, and the package was noticeably thinner than my last order of 6 hanks. I don;t have anything to weigh them, but they look smaller and thinner and I noticed the different handwriting.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »
Thanks for the info Katika. Seems like the ones you already had in stock were quite a wide range of amounts. Hm.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »
I'm not sure what weight she advertises the MLP hanks as, but I do seem to recall that she tended to run them heavy in the past. 
I was trying to find out on the site what the weight was... I actually have some older hair that I've order over a year ago (or whenever Razzle Dazzle first came out), If I had a digital scale I'd tell you what those weights are... and looking at my recipes I even have hair still from back in 2010... of those colors some of them look thinner than others but until I can weigh those... I can't tell you much

Edit: On that note, i can tell you guys some of the colors I did order a while back... they were noticeably thicker... I had ordered passionfruit a while back an while at the time I didn't really notice it was thicker than some of my other colors, the partial hank I recently sold got me thinking that... even one of my blends looks thicker than the others... which now kind of makes me think of size format might be the cause of that... I remember one of the site (maybe its the one that sells more katsilk nylon) that they have a format size for the hair colors... I don't think DH's hair follows it but it's a thought... (note to self, get a digital scale for doll hair now)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:05:59 AM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »
my hair arrived today. they hanks definitely look adn feel thinner/less.
my scale does oz. about half were 0.3 oz and half were 0.4 oz. with one (nickel) 0.5 oz. The 0.5 nickle is in the OLD handwriting and looks/feels thicker/more.

I pulled out some of my old hair, using packegs I haven't used part of and got 0.3-0.5 oz again (most 0.3 to 0.4), but they look/feel thicker/more.

apparently 0.3 oz = 8.5 grams, 0.4 oz = 11.3grams, and 0.5 oz = 14.17grams

so there is a noticable difference between 0.5 oz and 0.3 oz

so I don't know....

on the plus side, the new colors are FABULOUS!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:55:47 PM by Roogna »

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »
Thanks for weighing in, Roogna. Interesting.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 01:39:16 PM »
I'm waiting to hear from Tina (or whoever answers the emails) about the average weight of the hair. I needed to know for another reason anyway, so if she doesn't spot this thread here and answers, hopefully she will reply to the email
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline NichiTsukinoko

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lady-moondancer.livejournal.com/
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
I'm still waiting on my order of Wisteria hair.  But I will let you all know what they weigh when they arrive...
Music is a revelation; a revelation loftier than all wisdom and all philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven

Thank you Reiya! Thanks to SDS!
Etsy Store: NichiTsukinoko Customs : www.etsy.com/shop/NichiTsukinoko  10% off with coupon code MOVING till Nov 9, 2015

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 02:00:07 PM »
I'm expecting an order to come in soon.  I will def be checking out the weights, and letting you know.  :/
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal