collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lol, Annoying Pony! The new name for G4 Bubble/Ditzy.  (Read 8853 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lol, Annoying Pony! The new name for G4 Bubble/Ditzy.
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
We shouldn't have to worry about any threads getting locked or deleted.  It's fine if your a FIM fan and only a FIM fan but those that are please do not bash people who like G1's or G3's or both.  Please do not argue with people who are not fans of FIM.  Some people are making our forum into a smooze forum and need to get along with everyone. :cry:

I didn't see any earlier gen bashing, just a debate over the name of a certain pony. Must we make everything out to be "us" vs "them"? It annoys those who are both.

I'm not talking about the discussion over the pony.  I'm talking about when FIM became popular there was the whole "us versus them", the bronies who were mean were bashing previous generations, not as much here.

I apologize if my post was made out to be "us versus them".  It wasn't my intention.

lithiumkat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »
I love all pony gens (exception being G2 though I don't really dislike them either) and I love FiM and all characters. I love grey and blonde pegasus to bits, and I enjoy the fandom name, but it does seem silly to make such a big deal over such a thing. You can in your head think of her as whatever you find suitable but for the sake of a forum and getting along and being mature about things, is it necessary to argue over it? I couldn't even get through this whole thread what with it's 11 pages before I just had to add my own 2 cents in. Even if there's nothing wrong with it, if someone doesn't like it common decency dictates not say it around them. There are numerous valid arguments both ways. I see both sides and I LOVE that pony. But totally don't blame the mods for filtering the name what with all the issues it causes. I agree and disagree with many things said but all in all the important part is I love ponies, you guys love ponies, lets agree to disagree, realize no one is convincing anyone else of anything other than what they already thought and that it's best to just leave that alone. It's like when people argue over religion, all that happens is people get hurt and sometimes friendships can divide. No sense in any of that. Let's talk about Cadence! Isn't she absolutely beautiful???? I REALLY like her.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
I don't know whose idea it was to filter her name in the first place.  That got people upset.  Her name isn't a bad word or anything.

Pinecone

« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2012, 02:34:49 PM »
Drama Pony makes me think of a pony reciting Shakespeare. Alas Horseratio...

How about we make fun of me for screwing up Shakespeare? Mixing up the names Horatio and Yorick. Sheesh.

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2012, 02:42:06 PM »
testing :muffin: Pony

Post Merge: December 02, 2012, 02:42:39 PM

LOL drama pony or does something different pop up
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »
Honestly, I don't think it's worth getting into an argument over.  If someone prefers her name one way that's fine but don't argue with someone for calling her her given name by Hasbro or the other way around.

It's just a toy when it comes down to it.

Except Hasbro has never officially given her a name (Ditzy was another pony). If they had, none of this would've ever happened.
None of the background ponies had/have names. Any that do are fan made (though Hasbro did adopt DJ Pon3, Lyra, and Octavia, which were fan names).

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2012, 03:24:32 PM »
I don't know whose idea it was to filter her name in the first place.  That got people upset.  Her name isn't a bad word or anything.

Except it is, and that's the root of the whooole problem. Would you be fine with a pony called R**ard? Because to a lot of people, the D word has the same connotations and they've had the same experiences being bullied by the D word. Again, I say: It's a kid's show. I don't think any pony should be called a name that (whether you have personally experienced it or not) has been used to bully, tease and be cruel to people, particularly those with disabilities.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:32:15 PM by Pythia »
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

BerryPunch

« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2012, 03:27:55 PM »
But still, if it's about the pony, why not censor all names of her?

Half of the people think it's bad, half don't. I don't think it's fair to single out one of her names and make the people who do use that name feel bad.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
Urbandictionary says derp is a slur used for the r-word.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

BerryPunch

« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »
Also, Ditzy could offend people as well. I don't like it because I think it's sexist. It also means really dumb and clueless. People who say Drama Pony's real name is offensive could say the same thing about Ditzy.

Also, as long as no one starts calling each other names or starts doing other hurtful things, I think this topic is VERY interesting and pretty neat to see other people's opinions on this! Let's keep it civil and keep it unlocked! :D Doin good!

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
Hehe, Drama Pony, I like that one :)

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »
Since this discussion isn't ending any time soon I decided to share my thought ^^ As I linguist I perceive any language as ever-changing and evolving. you know how many words didn't use to mean anything bad, but are now insults and slurs?
Well, my thought is, why can't this process go the other way around? I mean, to me at least it is evident that people that use her fandom name don't mean anything bad by it and are calling her so affectionately. Don't you guys think it would be a good idea to let them appropriate this term and change its connotation to mean something endearing rather than something insulting?

This is just a thought from a socio-linguistic point of view as I don't really have a strong opinion on this topic as such :) but, you know, why is it that good words get to turn bad and not the other way around :)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:40:23 PM by Vintergatan »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Tupin

« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
You can pull up anything on Urbandictionary and have it turn out like that. I've never ever seen "derp" used as anything more than an interjection said after a mistake or a caption for a silly face. How is calling her "ditzy" better, anyway? That seems to be the term people want to use, and "derp" is just a modern word for "ditz." It was invented by South Park and came into popular use online to replace the term "ditz."

Yes, they have called her "that name" in canon. No, she is not currently known by anything else other than "that name" by anyone who has worked on the show in any role, past or present. No, "derp" in the usage of her does not refer to mental disabilities. Yes, the removal of her name and voice is offensive. Yes, there were far more people offended by her removal than her existence. No, I don't mind if you call her anything you like. Yes, I do want to be able to call her what I like without being accused of making fun of the disabled.

I also reiterate that I believe no issue would have been raised if she were male since apparently males are allowed to be in these roles.

Pinecone

« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »
I just want to add that I have mental disabilities and was offended by the original speaking role. I know it offended other people and I do wonder if some are afraid to speak up about it since there is a lot of retaliation and bullying if you dislike it. Maybe not here, but certainly in other pony places.

The name didn't bother me much, but I decided to change what I called her out of courtesy to people it did bother. I like being kind to other people if I can, even if 9/10 times I come off as being an unrepentant jerkass.

Since I've already received a warning, and am likely going to be banned over this, I'll leave it at that. I'm sorry.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
Okay, I think this is a good time as any to lock this sucker. Going in tightly-wound circles with no resolution in sight.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal