collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hot Topic finds: Not sure how to feel  (Read 7291 times)

BerryPunch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hot Topic finds: Not sure how to feel
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2012, 05:06:44 PM »
I actually think Hasbro should not try at all. Because it seems like when they do try to please fans, others are not pleased! So if they do the opposite... everyone will be happy!!! XD

momo_no_hime

« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »
I agree, but I'm sure there's a way for hasbro to cater to both bronies and collector's.  The collector's were into MLP first if they were G1 fans and have been loyal thus far.  Not saying collector's are better, just that Hasbro should keep the collector's in mind too.  Nothing wrong with making a special pony for collector's each year and sticking to the FIM fandom.

Now, I'm not saying that I don't wish that there was more retro style merch available, but I have to point out the business side of it. We may have been loyal collectors all these years, but how are we making Hasbro money? Specifically if we aren't collecting G4 stuff. Unless you're buying ponies new, from the store, or are buying officially licensed merch, Hasbro isn't seeing a dime from you.

From what I've seen from bronies/fans of FiM/G4 collectors: they're putting their money where their mouth is. Bronies in particular seem to be quite eager to drop large sums of money on merchandise, so I can see why the licensed third party companies are listening to them.

Not saying that anybody is wrong in their opinions, I just wanted to say what is probably going through Hasbro's head. They're concerned about their bottom line, plain and simple.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2012, 02:54:29 AM »
I agree, but I'm sure there's a way for hasbro to cater to both bronies and collector's.  The collector's were into MLP first if they were G1 fans and have been loyal thus far.  Not saying collector's are better, just that Hasbro should keep the collector's in mind too.  Nothing wrong with making a special pony for collector's each year and sticking to the FIM fandom.

Now, I'm not saying that I don't wish that there was more retro style merch available, but I have to point out the business side of it. We may have been loyal collectors all these years, but how are we making Hasbro money? Specifically if we aren't collecting G4 stuff. Unless you're buying ponies new, from the store, or are buying officially licensed merch, Hasbro isn't seeing a dime from you.

From what I've seen from bronies/fans of FiM/G4 collectors: they're putting their money where their mouth is. Bronies in particular seem to be quite eager to drop large sums of money on merchandise, so I can see why the licensed third party companies are listening to them.

Not saying that anybody is wrong in their opinions, I just wanted to say what is probably going through Hasbro's head. They're concerned about their bottom line, plain and simple.

That's why Hasbro should be making products aimed at collectors. They would at least get a pretty loyal buyer.
You can't really put your money where your mouth is when there are no products to buy. Though frankly, i think our group is so much smaller than the bronies...i don't think Hasbro can be bothered with us.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DerbyGirl

« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2012, 04:45:55 AM »
*shrugs* Hot Topic is for teens and maybe adults. That's the age group that bronies fall into. I don't see the problem.

Except last time I checked, men aren't the only ones who shop at Hot Topic. The only MLP item I found specifically targeted toward women were their wallets and 1 t-shirt. Even the gender neutral objects like the vinyl ponies and the belts were all grouped together with the mens' merchandise, which is honestly pretty off-putting.

Not at the two that are close to me. There are at least 6 different women's shirts, the sleep pants and robe are in the women's section....the toys are in their own section...and the wallets, etc. are also in their own section. Actually, here at mine there's a better MLP women's and gender neutral section than guys, when I think about it.  :shrug:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2012, 05:05:13 AM »

Hmmm....the only problem with this is that I am pretty sure if you add up what collectors have been spending with Hasbro for the last decade its a significant amount of money. Probably, yes, a drop in the ocean in comparison to their actual target market but I think its unfair to say that loyal collectors are not making Hasbro any money when you consider the number of G3s within collections. I dont think its fair to say bronies/fans of FiM/G4 collectors only get what they want because they put their money where there mouth is...I am reasonably certain this fact can be said about earlier fans as well. Why have earlier fans not bought merch etc? Because there traditionally hasnt been very much offered - perhaps if such items existed they would like wise be popular.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

momo_no_hime

« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2012, 07:13:58 AM »

Hmmm....the only problem with this is that I am pretty sure if you add up what collectors have been spending with Hasbro for the last decade its a significant amount of money. Probably, yes, a drop in the ocean in comparison to their actual target market but I think its unfair to say that loyal collectors are not making Hasbro any money when you consider the number of G3s within collections. I dont think its fair to say bronies/fans of FiM/G4 collectors only get what they want because they put their money where there mouth is...I am reasonably certain this fact can be said about earlier fans as well. Why have earlier fans not bought merch etc? Because there traditionally hasnt been very much offered - perhaps if such items existed they would like wise be popular.

This is all true! I was just trying to play devil's advocate a bit. ;) I know Hasbro has seen its fair share of money from myself!

There definitely are some retro shirts out there, but I think they have severely limiting factors on who can buy them: most of the women's shirts only go up to XL, and a bunch that I've seen have to be shipped from England, which costs a ton in postage. There is also little to no retro merch for men, which is kind of a bummer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal