collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hot Topic finds: Not sure how to feel  (Read 7420 times)

Cherry_Sunset

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hot Topic finds: Not sure how to feel
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2012, 05:08:44 PM »
I agree with the statement that I hope that they don't lose sight of who their main target demographic is: kids. I mean, I love all of the adult merchandise, but when I've checked places like EqD and various online shopping sights, aside from the toys that they have, it seems like they're lacking in things for girls (yeah, they get a new shirt every once in a while and some coloring books, but it just seems alarmingly scant in my eyes)

It would be nice if they did more collector ponies. I read in another thread that Hasbro isn't doing anymore art ponies, and it kind of frustrates me, yes, I like the background ponies, but the art ponies are so stunning and it's not fair of them to cater their special pony to the Bronies :(

I mean, I didn't like ponies before FiM, but I've done my research, I've fallen in love with the older ponies, and I really feel that if they just gave those ponies a chance that they might like them too!

BerryPunch

« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »
I agree with the statement that I hope that they don't lose sight of who their main target demographic is: kids. I mean, I love all of the adult merchandise, but when I've checked places like EqD and various online shopping sights, aside from the toys that they have, it seems like they're lacking in things for girls (yeah, they get a new shirt every once in a while and some coloring books, but it just seems alarmingly scant in my eyes)

It would be nice if they did more collector ponies. I read in another thread that Hasbro isn't doing anymore art ponies, and it kind of frustrates me, yes, I like the background ponies, but the art ponies are so stunning and it's not fair of them to cater their special pony to the Bronies :(

Why not? It wouldn't be fair for them to cater to older collectors forever.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:43:07 PM by BerryPunch »

Cherry_Sunset

« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
Well, I mean, they said that at the fair, they would have a different pony than at Comic Con, and there's not as much for old-time collectors as there used to be, and it would be nice, at least, if they could get their own fair pony.

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »

Cater to older collectors? Older collectors are Hasbro's middle child. They're largely ignored and swept under the rug in favor of little girls-- their target audience/"oldest child" (which, hey, is how it's supposed to be-- they are toys after all!) and Hasbro's  new favorite "youngest child," the bronies. I don't think catering to older collecters is something you have to worry about. Ever. Just about all we ever had were the art ponies, and it's looking like we don't even have that anymore.

Back on topic, I have very mixed feelings about all the Hot Topic MLP merch as well. But then again, I've never liked how MLP has become the cool new "in" thing right now...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »
Since the fair was started by older collectors, people trying to keep the pony brand alive for years when Hasbro wasn't selling much MLP, I think it's only right they continue to market to their original demographic - who started watching FIM before it was embraced by bronydom. But Hasbro doesnt care. Go back pages and pages and people are discussing a sneak peek of the very first ep. it would be lovely if they had a g4 art pony.

What Luna shirts do Hot Topic have now? Their website is terrible for me. Broken images always.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:28:47 PM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Tupin

« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »
Hasbro saw a chance to have a sold-out pony everyone would talk about at Comic-Con, and they went for it.

Since the fair was started by older collectors, people trying to keep the pony brand alive for years when Hasbro wasn't selling much MLP, I think it's only right they continue to market to their original demographic - who started watching FIM before it was embraced by bronydom. But Hasbro doesnt care. Go back pages and pages and people are discussing a sneak peek of the very first ep. it would be lovely if they had a g4 art pony.

What Luna shirts do Hot Topic have now? Their website is terrible for me. Broken images always.
People who never had collected ponies before started watching FiM the day it aired, people were waiting for it due to the previous work done by the creator. They didn't become fans of it for the toys, they became fans of it because they liked cartoons.

I found one Luna t-shirt at Hot Topic, it says "Luna is best princess" on it. I don't think they have both men's and women's sizes, though.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2012, 08:52:42 AM »

I believe there are 3: 2 men's and 1 women's.  Men's say something like "Vote Luna and the fun will be doubled" and the other "Luna is Best Princess".  The women's one is something along the lines of "The fun was doubled" or something like that.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2012, 09:06:45 AM »
I don't really see what's wrong with the panties? I mean I'd love some of them! They made G1 Snuzzle panties over here, why not G4? Those Muffin socks are SO cute, I'd love to get a pair of them!

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Flutterwonder13

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
*shrugs* Hot Topic is for teens and maybe adults. That's the age group that bronies fall into. I don't see the problem.

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
*shrugs* Hot Topic is for teens and maybe adults. That's the age group that bronies fall into. I don't see the problem.

Except last time I checked, men aren't the only ones who shop at Hot Topic. The only MLP item I found specifically targeted toward women were their wallets and 1 t-shirt. Even the gender neutral objects like the vinyl ponies and the belts were all grouped together with the mens' merchandise, which is honestly pretty off-putting.

Tupin

« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
Well, Hot Topic in general doesn't carry very much pony merch, just the absolute most popular stuff. WeLoveFine is really the place to go if you want G4 pony shirts, men's or women's. Heck, they just came out with a whole bunch of pony themed tunics in their women's section...

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
All hail that male dollar! Sigh. I was IGNORED by a Pony artist because they wanted to talk to men dressed up as Rarity instead when I went to a con.

That said, HT needs some more diversity and also they need to make nonblack pony shirts! Color please.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

BerryPunch

« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »
All hail that male dollar! Sigh. I was IGNORED by a Pony artist because they wanted to talk to men dressed up as Rarity instead when I went to a con.

That said, HT needs some more diversity and also they need to make nonblack pony shirts! Color please.

They have a blue Doctor Whooves and a Grey Silly Grey Pegasus shirt

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2012, 11:55:38 AM »
I will admit, I love shopping at HT. I love all the pop culture stuff in there. It's true, the store has changed. Times change and if they want to stay in the business, they have to meet the demands of the customers and what they want.

Personally, I am happy that I can actually see what I am buying now lol. Before I used to shop there, it was so dark, it was like shopping in a cave.

wanna know something else?

My mom is in her 60s and will go in there and shop with me. She likes looking at all of the weird and cool stuff in there as well.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »

I mean, I didn't like ponies before FiM, but I've done my research, I've fallen in love with the older ponies, and I really feel that if they just gave those ponies a chance that they might like them too!

I agree, but I'm sure there's a way for hasbro to cater to both bronies and collector's.  The collector's were into MLP first if they were G1 fans and have been loyal thus far.  Not saying collector's are better, just that Hasbro should keep the collector's in mind too.  Nothing wrong with making a special pony for collector's each year and sticking to the FIM fandom.

Post Merge: December 02, 2012, 12:10:41 PM

It's not fair for bronies and fans of FIM to be the only ones who get merchandise either.  I think that's the point.  Hasbro needs to find a way for collector's, kids, and FIM fans to all be happy.  I think right now, collector's feel they have been pushed aside.  I'm a collector so that's how I feel.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:10:41 PM by Majesty »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal