collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FALSE. RUMOR: Disney Shopping around for Hasbro  (Read 8386 times)

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
Re: RUMOR: Disney Shopping around for Hasbro
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 06:15:06 PM »
I don't find it to be that weird. Disney does have some ties with Hasbro. The rights to the production of Marvel character toys at the moment lies with Hasbro. Also, Disney had the rights to Hasbro's library of shows in the 90s, including My Little Pony Tales. So it only makes sense.

On the other hand, the rights to Disney Junior toys currently is with Mattel (Fisher-Price). Buying Hasbro will severely damage Disney's tie with Mattel.

So yeah, I'd just take it with a grain of salt given that Disney does have deals with Hasbro rival Mattel. Buying Hasbro would be a bad idea.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:19:05 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline PurpleCheeseStick

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
Yeah but then if you try to sell it, technically aren't you reselling something that they made, regardless of how customized it is or not? I think that's the part they would get their undies in a bunch about. The furry fandom's had trouble with Disney before just for making fursuits that look SIMILAR to Bolt- they will take ANYBODY to court on ANY kind of case, they're horrible. If you make an idiot of yourself in a costume that happens to look like Belle from Beauty and the Beast, BAM, lawsuit. It's happened many times.

Again, you're talking about people making things from scratch that appear to be infringing upon the company's intellectual property. The pony itself has been legitimately purchased from the company and they have made the money off of it. What you do to it once you own it is your business and once it's customized it is now your intellectual property. They would have a much harder time making a case against you in this instance.

Ohhh okay :o well you can still say goodbye to pony cosplays and pony fursuits (mainly the fursuits though I think)
:happy: :rainbow: G2 Maniac! :rainbow: :enthralled:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
Also, Disney had the rights to Hasbro's library of shows in the 90s, including My Little Pony Tales.

MLP Tales was shown on The Disney Channel but that doesn't mean Disney, the company, had the rights to My Little Pony.  Hasbro retained the rights to the toyline and Sunbow was the company who actually had the rights to My Little Pony Tales, as well as My Little Pony and Friends.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

MikaylaIsSoCoolLike

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
You don't need to own the universe, just see it.

I really wish Disney would back off if this is true. The princess dresses for the G3 ponies were enough, no need to slap Mickey ears on everything.

BerryPunch

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
Well if we want no fan animation, PMVs, episodes on Youtube for free, and plushies, cause Disney is really strict on Copyrights, this is the way to go. Plus the possible syndication Disney does with 60 some episodes and then gets rid of the show.   :cry:  :mad:

This would NOT be a good thing. Disney has gone to far.
 :enraged:

Pinecone

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:59 PM »
Everyone please stop worrying/complaining about fan content. It's a rumour for now, and in the end, Hasbro/Disney don't belong to you so you can't make their decisions for them.

I've already seen at least one brony petition over this, but I think that's jumping the gun.  It was also poorly worded, and mostly spoke about free speech, and SOPA. If you bronies want to be taken seriously PLEASE think before you make such things.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:03:53 PM by Pinecone »

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
I love me some Disney and I still love Disney merchandise (even now, for the most part.). That said, I like MLP well- enough just the way it is - though perhaps Disney would have better distribution and/or quality control?  Still, I don't want Disney to control everything.

Another thought - many of Disney's play line dolls are distributed by Mattel.  So, you'd think they'd go after Mattel first.

At any rate, I'm not worried yet.  It is still only a rumor.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

BerryPunch

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »
Everyone please stop worrying/complaining about fan content. It's a rumour for now, and in the end, Hasbro/Disney don't belong to you so you can't make their decisions for them.

No one is making decisions for anyone, I'm truly concerned about the future of MLP if this is true. It Disney owned Hasbro from the start, FIM wouldn't be as well known with a large fanbase, as most people watch episodes online.  :huh: No crap we can't make decisions for them.

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »
Has anyone contacted Hasbro to see if this is the case and, if it is, tell them that it's the most horrible idea they've ever had?!  We can't make decisions for them, but we can do something to have our opinions and desires heard!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 09:52:13 PM »
I think Disney is not as big as it once was.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
Disney doesn't even make their own toys. All the toys based on their characters are made by other companies, mostly Mattel and Jakks Pacific. If they did somehow gain the rights for MLP things probably would not change too much on the toy side of things. Hasbro would probably make sure they at least keep the toy rights to the properties. It is a little worrisome on the fandom end but considering they also own Marvel and haven't really hammered down on that fandom I am not that afraid.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Betelgeuse

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »
I DO NOT LIKE where Disney has gone in the past few decades so I'm going to just shudder with disgust and hope this is a rumor. I would have preferred if Disney had not bought Marvel and Lucas Films and would be horrified if they bought Hasbro too.

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 10:54:28 PM »
I actually would sort of love to see disney princess ponies. But at the same time I think that it'll be different. I don't want that really. I mean, can't we just do customs? :P

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 02:52:01 AM »

No one is making decisions for anyone, I'm truly concerned about the future of MLP if this is true. It Disney owned Hasbro from the start, FIM wouldn't be as well known with a large fanbase, as most people watch episodes online.  :huh: No crap we can't make decisions for them.

Eh, you would still be able to watch episodes online. I know i watch Gravity Falls online. : P
Perhaps just not on youtube.

Anyways, it's just a rumor. The fact that people already made a petition is laughable.
Start freaking out when there is an actual need to freak out. And frankly, i don't even think there is a need to freak out, even when Disney buys Hasbro. Also, everyone talks about Lucas and the new Star Wars movies but...the last three Star Wars movies were lousy. I doubt Disney will do worse.

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 05:09:06 AM »
Even if this rumor is true - it will still take Disney years to complete this deal. Who knows where MLP will even be in all of this then.
I love Disney - empire and all! Buying Hasbro would make sense to them - since Marvel and Star Wars toys are all currently produced by Hasbro - and with all the brand names Hasbro owns - it would be a huge amount to add to their fold.
I'm finding it funny about all the people who are freaking out about this so early. - I mean Hasbro is going to do what it will do - Disney and Hasbro have already had some dealings and partnerships for years - The Once Upon a Toy Store in Downtown Disney was sponsored by Hasbro.

Plus the Transformers are coming to Universal Studios - that would be interesting to have to work-around if Disney bought Hasbro.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:14:27 AM by Ivy »
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal