collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FALSE. RUMOR: Disney Shopping around for Hasbro  (Read 8396 times)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
Re: RUMOR: Disney Shopping around for Hasbro
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
No. Please no.
 I don't have much regard for Disney anymore (just not the same as in the 80's, early 90's).
They would market the Hasbro lines until people get sick of them. Like what they've done with their princesses.
Also this could be bad for the fanbase, especially fan creations (art, customs, Youtube videos, etc) because they're a member of the copyright gurus (I've got a better term than guru though), and more than likely disapprove of fan stuff (pray Viacom never tries to acquire them). All Hasbro did to White Dove was tell her to quit advertising prices on her plushies. If it had been Disney they would've  hit her at full  force with a lawsuit.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:44:26 PM by lonewolf »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 04:43:22 PM »
They did The Avengers. If they can keep it the way I like it and roll out the good merchandise, I'm in.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
Also this could be bad for the fanbase, especially fan creations (art, customs, Youtube videos, etc) because they're a member of the copyright gurus (I've got a better term than guru though), and more than likely disapprove of fan stuff (pray Viacom never tries to acquire them). All Hasbro did to White Dove was tell her to quit advertising prices on her plushies. If it had been Disney they would've  hit her at full  force with a lawsuit.
Alright everypony. Time to backup the music and video files on YouTube. *salutes and walks off*
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

DirePony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »
No. Please no.
 I don't have much regard for Disney anymore (just not the same as in the 80's, early 90's).
They would market the Hasbro lines until people get sick of them. Like what they've done with their princesses.

You make a really good point about the fan created content. Disney would pretty much wipe all of that out as they are very protective of their IPs and have no problem slinging the cease and desist orders. As much as I would like to see a Pixar My Little Pony movie I really hope that this all just stays a rumor.

Offline PurpleCheeseStick

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »
it feels apocalyptic to me though...   disney owning everything Hasbro/Marvel/Star Wars related.  would they be a monopoly?
That's what I'm thinking...

No. I am so sick and tired of seeing Disney this Disney that freaking everywhere, I'm really starting to hate Disney now. I was particularly furious when Lucas sold off Star Wars to them. That's great, more Princess Leia Minnie Mouses. Just perfect. HEY WHO'S UP FOR ANOTHER STAR WARS MOVIE, EPISODE SEVEN? HUH GUYS? CAUSE YOU KNOW THE CLONE WARS TOTALLY WASN'T A PIECE OF CRAP. IT WAS FINE. IT'S FINE IT'S FINE IT'S FINE.

Disney is notorious for taking something I love very much and abusing the heck out of it and continuously beating a dead horse until whatever it was that I liked I now hate. Happened with Lilo and Stitch, the Lion King, I never liked the Disney princesses to begin with much but now I hate them even more. Don't even get me started on Hannah FREAKING Montana.  :stressed:

They're going to sabotage Star Wars, my freaking childhood, and now there are rumors about it destroying MLP too?! Someone shoot me now.
:happy: :rainbow: G2 Maniac! :rainbow: :enthralled:

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 05:14:20 PM »
I lost my love for Disney when they cheapened up their merchandise (if you think they make 'rad' plush now, you should have been there in the 80s and 90s. Quality has FAR FAR gone down since then.) and went strictly CGI with their movies. True they made the Frog Princess but let's admit, their animation team and what they crank out is so poor and underrated.

Disney does NOT need to own everything.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
My concern is that Disney is making 'live' action versions of a lot of things... can you imagine if MLP went Live action of sorts :c No just no

I'd hate to see what would happen to the customizer base if Disney did take it... that just kind of makes me worry :(
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
I'd hate to see what would happen to the customizer base if Disney did take it... that just kind of makes me worry :(

I don't think they would care. When you make a plush of a canon character, you're hijacking intellectual property and making a profit from it while giving no royalties to the company. When you customize, you're using a pony that was bought from the company and incorporating your own ideas into it. Therefore, the company is technically getting a cut of that because you purchased the pony from them initially.

Ai from Aurora

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 05:33:08 PM »
Hasbro owns quite a lot of companies themselves, but Disney owns even more. Disney owning Hasbro would just be CRAZY. I don't like the idea.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »
Do not want.  Do not want at ALL.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 05:58:10 PM »
My thought on this is that if its not a rumor I am going to be very worried about what the products will look like. I am not fond of Disney and its Frilly approach to toys.  I do like many of the things they make, but the dolls just really bother me.  So I would have the concern that they would turn MLP into something frilly beyond frilly and ruin it.  I picture ponies with really long lashes, painted polish on their hooves as if they have finger nails, painted flowers all over the faces and gowns in the boxes that are beyond your average poof.  It would be like MLP meets Barbie in the field of daisies..then all the ponies would have a button you would push that would make them sing a very annoying song that ruins the entire day when you hear it. ROFLOL

Disney doesn't need everything.  Its a mistake on their part to try to aquire everything.  Its only a matter of time where all this so called stock they have is going to go lower the the dirt under our feet...like they say on the news...its not if it will happen but just a matter of when. Now is not the time for any companies to be doing this sort of thing for the future losses will be huge.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline PurpleCheeseStick

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »

I don't think they would care. When you make a plush of a canon character, you're hijacking intellectual property and making a profit from it while giving no royalties to the company. When you customize, you're using a pony that was bought from the company and incorporating your own ideas into it. Therefore, the company is technically getting a cut of that because you purchased the pony from them initially.

Yeah but then if you try to sell it, technically aren't you reselling something that they made, regardless of how customized it is or not? I think that's the part they would get their undies in a bunch about. The furry fandom's had trouble with Disney before just for making fursuits that look SIMILAR to Bolt- they will take ANYBODY to court on ANY kind of case, they're horrible. If you make an idiot of yourself in a costume that happens to look like Belle from Beauty and the Beast, BAM, lawsuit. It's happened many times.
:happy: :rainbow: G2 Maniac! :rainbow: :enthralled:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »
Ultimately it doesn't matter whether it's "legal" to customize and sell a pony.  What matters is that if Disney decides they don't like it, they have literally millions of dollars to funnel into their legal department to crush people who sell customs.   How many customizers have enough money to slog through an expensive, drawn out legal battle?

If Disney starts sending out cease-and-desist notices, Disney has already won.

(And ditto for Hasbro, but so far they have not been interested in dragging collectors into court--knock on wood.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »
Disney will go after all the fakey companies, so there's a major downside to anyone who enjoys collecting those. It's also possible that Disney could choose to sit on any of Hasbro's franchises and let it die.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
Yeah but then if you try to sell it, technically aren't you reselling something that they made, regardless of how customized it is or not? I think that's the part they would get their undies in a bunch about. The furry fandom's had trouble with Disney before just for making fursuits that look SIMILAR to Bolt- they will take ANYBODY to court on ANY kind of case, they're horrible. If you make an idiot of yourself in a costume that happens to look like Belle from Beauty and the Beast, BAM, lawsuit. It's happened many times.

Again, you're talking about people making things from scratch that appear to be infringing upon the company's intellectual property. The pony itself has been legitimately purchased from the company and they have made the money off of it. What you do to it once you own it is your business and once it's customized it is now your intellectual property. They would have a much harder time making a case against you in this instance.

Ai from Aurora

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal