collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has Hasbro's Focus Changed?  (Read 9660 times)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Re: Has Hasbro's Focus Changed?
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »
I know I was super happy when they released Luna!!
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

momo_no_hime

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »
I'm voting with my wallet and my wallet is saying I want more blind bags.  And I'm not buying more brushables because I already have the ones available at retail.  But that's not what I really want- they could stop the blind bags tomorrow and I'd be happy as long as brushables continued.  But I suspect I'm not alone on this- how many others here are buying blind bags because that's where new characters are available, as opposed to those who like them better than the Playful Ponies line of brushables?

You're not alone! I'm right there with you. I love blind bags, but let's be honest, I could do without them. I had the same mentality with the Ponyville line in G3. I think most people are have a quantity over quality mentality. And I'll be honest, I've noticed that mentality a lot with the bronies. I've noticed that bronies seem more apt to buy ANYTHING pony related, whereas collectors collect their niche items, which for most of us is brushables.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2012, 08:23:41 PM »
While I am on the same boat that many of you are sailing on [too much Mane 6] I am kind of thankful that they keep them in stock. Point-in-case: The Fashion Style ponies. If they hadn't decided to rerelease Applejack and Rarity, many of us [okay, me] wouldn't be able to get them. So at least it makes it possible for everyone [collectors and kiddos] to have an opportunity to own the main characters from the show.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
Before FiM/g4, Hasbro had already set their toy line to focus in the "core 7" at the end of g3. I think that with FiM, they always intended to continue to focus on a core group of recognizable characters. At Pony Fairs before FiM, Hasbro Marketing said that their research found that the target audience (little girls age 3-6) preferred a few characters that they could relate to, instead of endless different ponies with no known character to back them up.

Yeah I think you're right.  Kids want ponies they know...  Not ... "who is this?, nah, I'll pass".  Hasbro wants the little girls to say "Look mommy! There's Rarity!"

I don't fully buy that since MLP did fine before the "core 7/main 6" stuff. Nor do i believe parents are very eager to re-buy the same toy over and over. Kids don't need 5 Twilight Sparkles.
I know that the excuse is that they wish to keep the main characters on the shelves. But it has gone beyond that. EVERY new set has a main pony slapped into it. There are like 3 different ways to get the exact same pony these days. Currently we have the bridesmaid sets, the playful ponies with wedding accessoiries and some playsets/packs that contain a main 6 pony.  And it seems the new crystal empire wave will be pretty much the same. I think that's some overkill.

And not only are they being slapped into everything, the re-releases lack any kind of effort. Even core 7 G3 had more effort put into them. They don't use any new poses. The toyline is several years old and we still pretty much have that one pose. There is no excuse for that. And core 7 G3 at least changed the cutie marks with every new wave. These days we are lucky to have some glitter and tinsel...It's no wonder that the merchandise is becoming more interesting than the actual toyline.

A this point i think the re-releases are mostly a way to save money. Having to put out a character again and again doen't mean you have to do it like this. Just look at Monster High. They know how to do it. they also know how to add a new character from time to time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2012, 05:36:45 AM »
Well, I don't like the lack of OC brushables being produced. However, if there isn't anything for me to give my money to hasbro for, then I will happily turn back to the previous generations to work on. Someone will get my pony money. lol

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2012, 06:01:30 AM »
Very well said, Malicieuse. It's one thing to re-use a main cast of characters, and quite another to literally release the exact same toy over and over and over.

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2012, 06:29:17 AM »
Before FiM/g4, Hasbro had already set their toy line to focus in the "core 7" at the end of g3. I think that with FiM, they always intended to continue to focus on a core group of recognizable characters. At Pony Fairs before FiM, Hasbro Marketing said that their research found that the target audience (little girls age 3-6) preferred a few characters that they could relate to, instead of endless different ponies with no known character to back them up.

Yeah I think you're right.  Kids want ponies they know...  Not ... "who is this?, nah, I'll pass".  Hasbro wants the little girls to say "Look mommy! There's Rarity!"

I don't fully buy that since MLP did fine before the "core 7/main 6" stuff. Nor do i believe parents are very eager to re-buy the same toy over and over. Kids don't need 5 Twilight Sparkles.
I know that the excuse is that they wish to keep the main characters on the shelves. But it has gone beyond that. EVERY new set has a main pony slapped into it. There are like 3 different ways to get the exact same pony these days. Currently we have the bridesmaid sets, the playful ponies with wedding accessoiries and some playsets/packs that contain a main 6 pony.  And it seems the new crystal empire wave will be pretty much the same. I think that's some overkill.

And not only are they being slapped into everything, the re-releases lack any kind of effort. Even core 7 G3 had more effort put into them. They don't use any new poses. The toyline is several years old and we still pretty much have that one pose. There is no excuse for that. And core 7 G3 at least changed the cutie marks with every new wave. These days we are lucky to have some glitter and tinsel...It's no wonder that the merchandise is becoming more interesting than the actual toyline.

A this point i think the re-releases are mostly a way to save money. Having to put out a character again and again doen't mean you have to do it like this. Just look at Monster High. They know how to do it. they also know how to add a new character from time to time.

in some ways i see the logic behind re-releasing the main 6 from a new viewers point of view, but on the other hand, what happens when they have the main 6? they will become disinterested as they won't be able to get new ponies, and move on to something else. and as a parent, i don't want to buy my kid the same toy over and over again. From a 4 yo's point of view, she "knows" all the characters in the show and wants them all - she doesn't understand why the shops have some and not others. i think hasbro is making a mistake here, kids that young don't relate to anything, they are attracted by bright pretty things :)

our reward pony trip last week was a joke, she managed to get diamond rose, but there was about 12 racks of rainbow dash, each rack 4 deep -  some variety would be nice!!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=295758130533858&set=a.294022740707397.64263.100002990193788&type=3&theater

wow, so much to choose from!!!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=295758470533824&set=a.294022740707397.64263.100002990193788&type=3&theater

i've moved her onto g3's now, it's much easier to find one she doesn't have, plus she still knows the characters from the older books and dvd's.

lithiumkat

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2012, 10:04:09 PM »
I do think the core characters has a good idea behind it as far as wanting children to recognize and identify with core characters but I agree with what has been stated by others here that Hasbro did just fine back in the 80's and 90's with making the core characters available but along with a strong variety of other characters either on show or off. I do think they should go along with the show when it comes to toys but adding in characters that are only a toy and not on the show is not such a bad thing. Again it is sad to think that they expect children now to be less creative or something, like they aren't capable of making up their own characters and stories with new toys that are not from the show. Children don't just want to repeat everything on the show. They want to make their own world up too.

Also it seems silly I agree with others that there has been a lack of brushables for this gen when compared to others as that has always been Hasbros main thing and they have always done well with it not only in MLP but also with other things as well (for instance Fairy Tail birds and the like) BUT I cannot deny the appeal of blindbags, children like them too and as an adult collector/fan I don't have a lot of room to display ponies (many of mine are stored in the basement in totes sadly) but the blindbags are exciting, provide many characters, are easy to display and store and if one gets knocked on the floor or something it's not likely to hurt them much. And the cost, I can easily purchase a handful of them for a reasonable price.

I do think it is silly that the brushables are all seemingly alike to the point that I have not purchased a single one. I want them but they don't seem to be worth $5 to me in all honesty and I don't know where I would put them to boot.

I wish they'd do like G1 and make some smaller ones (blind bag sized) with a brushy tale and/or main. The G1 petite ponies I would love to start collecting (I have none) but they cost about the same or more than purchasing some regular sized brushable G1's and I can't justify doing that when I'd just as easily be happy with the regular sized.

okay I am rambling now. I hope some of that made sense.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
I've kind of said this before, but what we need are more waves like the CB/SR/Trixie/Lyra one. Fans of the show get side characters they like, and people who want variety in the colours of the ponies get that, and people who want the mane six (though it's not like they're hard to find or anything) get that, since Twilight and Rarity were also in the wave. Waves like that really seem like they have the most potential to appeal to all three groups of fans, the collectors, the children, and the bronies.

I really agree with this.  If every wave (or even every other wave) had 2 of the main six, 2 of the background/side character ponies, and two brand new ponies, then Hasbro would be covering all their bases.

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
I think G3 was doing it right as well. Sure, we did get a bazillion Pinkie Pie rereleases, but we still got VARIETY. They rereleased a few of the main cast, but released a ton of other ponies as well.

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »
Hasbro is definitely favoring minis at the moment. They already have wave 8 made! The only good brushable we got this wave is white Celestia, and I'm still holding my breath for Ploomette. I'm hoping the next wave will be much more interesting.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 12:23:24 PM »
I know it must be hard for Hasbro to please everyone:  collector's, kids, fans of FIM.  I'm sure there's a way to do it.  I miss pony shopping.  The time I enjoyed pony shopping the most was during the G3 days, before the core 7.   :bawl:

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
My daughter prefers G3 as well.  More variety, the thrill of the hunt when shopping, better quality.  She's 7.  I just bought Puzzle Mint on E-bay.  There was much SQUEEE when she arrived.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2012, 12:28:20 PM »
My daughter prefers G3 as well.  More variety, the thrill of the hunt when shopping, better quality.  She's 7.  I just bought Puzzle Mint on E-bay.  There was much SQUEEE when she arrived.

Ooh Puzzlemint.  She was also sought after during that one movie where she appeared, or movie short.  I think it was on the Runaway Rainbow movie, the short.

Betelgeuse

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2012, 12:37:05 PM »
This is making me somewhat frustrated and slightly depressed.
It's clear that Hasbro is catering to the bronies, rather than the children.
I consider myself more in the "children" group than in the "brony" group to be honest. I realize that as a company, they're trying to make money and this is why they are doing it, but it still makes me rather sad. However, I'm more inclined to buy G1s and customs now because my interest in the G4 toys isn't as big as it once was.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal