collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has Hasbro's Focus Changed?  (Read 9641 times)

Argentum-Zeena

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Has Hasbro's Focus Changed?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »
Wow, wasn't expecting such a large response!

I feel I should clarify my opinion on the matter: It's not that I think they're targeting the toys at Bronies in particular, it's just that I feel more effort and resources are put into the show than the toy line itself. I'm not saying a high quality show is bad, though! Just that they toys shouldn't be neglected for it.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 04:08:40 PM »
@Appletini I am interested in your comment that brushables are not selling? I am curious as to where that information has come from? You surely just have to look at the new leaflet of ponies to see the sheer amount of brushable ponies [albeit that they are the same main 6] that Hasbro intend to introduce this year? Most people may not like the continuous cycle of the main 6 but they are still churning main 6 brushables out - all of whom are a more significant investment in production cost than the blind bags would ever be.

I know for myself I feel they are not selling well because I am seeing them show up at discount stores that usually get second hand merchandise that other bigger stores can't move. They sell it to the second hand chain and they sell it for about 50 off. MLP G4 brushables are really in all these places, but very few of them are on store shelves.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 04:12:17 PM by tulagirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »
@Appletini I am interested in your comment that brushables are not selling? I am curious as to where that information has come from? You surely just have to look at the new leaflet of ponies to see the sheer amount of brushable ponies [albeit that they are the same main 6] that Hasbro intend to introduce this year? Most people may not like the continuous cycle of the main 6 but they are still churning main 6 brushables out - all of whom are a more significant investment in production cost than the blind bags would ever be.

I know for myself I feel they are not selling well because I am seeing them show up at discount stores that usually get second hand merchandise that other bigger stores can't move. They sell it to the second hand chain and they sell it for about 50 off. MLP G4 brushables are really in all these places, but very few of them are on store shelves.

Wouldn't that be speculation though? Those stores also get merchandise when too much has been ordered as well. For instance, the blind bags were out initially at JC Penney outlet stores-- which is a store that runs like that (I find clearance Forever 21 shirts there). But I would constantly go to TJ Maxx (which also functions like that) on hunt for the 5 pack of molded hair ponies to collect the Pinkie Pies for bases-- and I barely ever saw any brushables at any TJ Maxx -- in *my* area-- for months on end. And I travel a big circle of 60 mile radius ^__^; . Only that 5 pack and the light up ones. Granted, I haven't been in one for a few months... I'm just saying, for my area, it didn't seem like there were too many popping up at those stores.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 04:39:57 PM »
I think the ALL the toys sell well (my Target has been depleted of the Crystal Empire line twice over already, and my TRU can't keep many of their new products on the shelf).

I don't think bronies will ever be the focus of Hasbro and MLP - and I think Hathorcat summed it up perfectly with regards to the licensing.  I don't take the polls at EQD seriously at all, because I think those tend to be brony-centric, and not a good cross-section of the many types of people who buy MLP. 

I grew up in the 80's with MLP, have been actively collecting them for nearly 20 years, and now my four daughters love playing with ponies.  Hands down they are targeted for little girls - and if adults far and wide like them too, then that's just an added bonus.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »
I wouldn't mind them producing more FiM type stuff if they made some really cool stuff like actually PLAYSETS like Ponyville and stuff. Stuff our blind bags could be used with. I have about 20 brushables so I wouldn't feel cheated if they focused more on the show, but only if they made some cool toys. Not just blind bags. I like the new figure sets. The more I pass them in the stores, the more I like them. But I want something to go WITH them for display purchases. Like a really cool castle playset or the apple farm.. Twilight Sparkles Library/House..

They could do all that, and continue to casually release brushables and I'd be all right with it. I'm trying to focus on G3 brushables anyway so.. it's not like we collectors don't have other ponies to track down. I guess I'm just open for change lol.

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »
Yeah, this....I actually have been getting into other toy franchises as a result =/

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 05:14:05 PM »
To me it seems, and we talked about that with the Bore 7, that Hasbro and other toy companies are just assuming that kids nowadays are more stupid and uncreative than they were in the 80s, 90s and before. I don't like this idea at all. A toy should make the kid's imagination run wild, creating stories and then playing those stories. Kids don't only need recognizable characters to replay what they have seen on TV! They want to invent their own stories and characters! If you have 20 Pinkie twins, what kind of story can you create, other than something of a clone invasion ...
It makes me very sad that this is the business route companies are taking now ...

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
Its sad to see that is not much good :( But then its means more money for G1's :)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »
I wouldn't mind them producing more FiM type stuff if they made some really cool stuff like actually PLAYSETS like Ponyville and stuff. Stuff our blind bags could be used with. I have about 20 brushables so I wouldn't feel cheated if they focused more on the show, but only if they made some cool toys. Not just blind bags. I like the new figure sets. The more I pass them in the stores, the more I like them. But I want something to go WITH them for display purchases. Like a really cool castle playset or the apple farm.. Twilight Sparkles Library/House..

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it's a glimmer of hope for the blindbags.  Maybe.  Hopefully!

Saw it on TRU's Canadian website the other day.  It may not be full playsets, but at least there are some accessories!  Just thought I'd mention it. ^.^

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »
Before FiM/g4, Hasbro had already set their toy line to focus in the "core 7" at the end of g3. I think that with FiM, they always intended to continue to focus on a core group of recognizable characters. At Pony Fairs before FiM, Hasbro Marketing said that their research found that the target audience (little girls age 3-6) preferred a few characters that they could relate to, instead of endless different ponies with no known character to back them up.

Yeah I think you're right.  Kids want ponies they know...  Not ... "who is this?, nah, I'll pass".  Hasbro wants the little girls to say "Look mommy! There's Rarity!"

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 06:37:37 PM »
well the argument could be made that the influx of main 6 is geared toward one group or another or it could just be you know that it's easier. You don't have to design anything, come out with a new mold, new plastic color, new hair. The blind bags are small cheep and only come in three molds that can be repainted in any color ( well four now since the wave 5? I think)   

Hasbro stuck to a core of ponies in g3 and if anyone recalls G2 there were a few ponies that were released in the G2 line, as I recall Ivy was released...7 different times 

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, 06:40:26 PM »
Before FiM/g4, Hasbro had already set their toy line to focus in the "core 7" at the end of g3. I think that with FiM, they always intended to continue to focus on a core group of recognizable characters. At Pony Fairs before FiM, Hasbro Marketing said that their research found that the target audience (little girls age 3-6) preferred a few characters that they could relate to, instead of endless different ponies with no known character to back them up.

Yeah I think you're right.  Kids want ponies they know...  Not ... "who is this?, nah, I'll pass".  Hasbro wants the little girls to say "Look mommy! There's Rarity!"

I heard some young girl scream "OMG ! PRINCESS CADANCE" in the store. XD She was reaaaaally excited and she had to have it.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »

Saw it on TRU's Canadian website the other day.  It may not be full playsets, but at least there are some accessories!  Just thought I'd mention it. ^.^

Aren't those Ponyville accessories recycled??

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »
Mechandise wise (non-toys), yes, it's very Brony centric. Hot Topic, TRU, Fye, all carry MLP things, 90% with the word "Brony"  on them.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »
The Core 6 strategy doesn't have anything to do with bronies, IMO.   Why would bronies want seven brushable Pinkie Pies, any more than a toy collector would?   I think this is the equivalent of Batman toylines where Batman and his main allies/villains are produced a billion times.  Night-Glo Batman!  Underwater Batman!  Space Batman!  And so on.

I don't mind the Core 6 being on shelves at all time, but I do feel it hurts the line overall not to have MANY MORE NON-SHOW BRUSHABLES than they have.  (Or background ponies.)   Wind Whistler, North Star, and Paradise were some of the main characters in "MLP & Friends", but I desperately wanted Masquerade (who had very few moments of glory on the cartoon) and Starshine (who didn't have any) because I loved their color schemes.   The show influences what kids want, but not TOTALLY.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal