collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: who pays fees?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
who pays fees?
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:25:17 PM »
Hi,
I've been wondering about Paypal fees and who should pay them.

It's just I have had some moments where sellers from various places across the internet have requested I "gift" the money. But the only options I have are "goods/services" or "friends/family".
If I select the first option it informs me that charges are paid by the seller, but if I select the other it says either "no charges" if from my bank account for UK only, or that *I* pay charges for international sales.

I'm never sure if it is really right for me to pay more when surely we should all factor in costs in our selling prices? It also worries me sometimes as it stipulates if I use "friends/family" there is no buyer protection.

Should I be worrying about this or should I be paying the charges as a buyer?

Thanks all

Post Merge: October 28, 2012, 01:27:02 PM

Mmm this may be similar to the below thread. Sorry!

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,313462.0.html

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:27:02 PM by PitterPatter »

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: who pays fees?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:31:29 PM »
Hmm as a buyer I always try to remember to cover the fees. I also mostly refuse to gift anyway,so I can still have the protection. Many sellers will even mention covering the paypal fee. On the question of if a buyer should be the one I'm unsure. I just know when I buy I cover, and I ask others to pay it when I sell.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »
I don't recommend paying by gift option. As you have said yourself, it gives you no protection whatsoever if the item is not as described, goes missing or whatever.

I have never been asked to cover paypal fees, and I completely agree with you that it's for the seller to factor in those costs when selling.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »
I will ask my buyers to send money as a gift with existing funds to avoid the fees for both sides, but if my buyer is not comfortable with that I will not force them to :) If they are not comfortable with the option, and depending on the situation, I may ask my buyers to cover the paypal fees.

The gift option takes away buyer protection, so I check the seller's feedback before I send money as a gift myself. I need to know that I can trust the seller to a) send the item and b) help me if a problem should pop up.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »
Correct, if you send as a gift you don't have buyer protection. As a seller, it's a bad idea to request only gift payments because your account can get flagged if paypal notices you are only getting "gift" monies from various users.

On ebay sellers cannot request that buyers cover paypal fees.

Private sales, I've had sellers add the fees to the total.

When I sell myself I build any of my additional costs into the asking prices (item cost, fees, cleaning and packing materials etc).  Any good  business does this. At a restaurant you are paying for food and service, but also part of your bill covers their costs like electric, rent, gas- and they certainly don't tack those on at the end as a surprise. LOL. So, if I sell only one item I'm not out of pocket any money all said and done. I have seen that as a reason some sellers make for asking for the fee amount on top of the sale/shipping price. It really makes me happier as a buyer when they include all selling costs in the price asked, As a seller I like my buyers knowing right away if a price sounds good or not to them without having to do math. :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:15:01 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »
Paying the fees SHOULD be 100% the seller's responsibility. :/ That's the price you pay for the convenience and extended target audience online sales lend your business. If it comes down to it though, I would sooner send extra to cover a seller's fees than ever send a gift payment, unless it is a merchant I know and trust.

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:12:28 PM »
Paying the fees SHOULD be 100% the seller's responsibility. :/ That's the price you pay for the convenience and extended target audience online sales lend your business.
THIS! I'm always a little put off when a seller asks me to pay the fees, unless they are buying something from a store or international ebay site on my behalf (then I'm happy to pay fees & give a little extra money as a thank you if need be). I never push buyers to pay the fees on my own sales & expect to be treated the same when I'm buying. If it's a person I know & trust, I'd be more willing to pay the fees, but that is really a case by case basis.

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »
Thanks guys ^_^

I just get a little nervous with online transactions outside of eBay and unsure of what the correct procedure is.

I can understand if you have a solid relationship with someone then gifting would make sense, but that's only seemingly within the same country anyway.
If I ever sell anything I would assume the costs as part of the process of selling.

It feels right for me to not be sending as a gift and I feel more at ease requesting not to send money as a gift now ^_^

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
:hug:  I think you have had some good advice here already.
Personally I would only pay by the gift option if its someone I could trust 100% since there is no protection.  You can gift  people internationally (certain countries dont allow it now though I think, such as Germany) , but then *you*  end up paying a fee for using that option.
 Paypal fees should really be covered by the seller.  :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
Paypal fees should really be covered by the seller.  :awake:
Paying the fees SHOULD be 100% the seller's responsibility. :/ That's the price you pay for the convenience and extended target audience online sales lend your business.
THIS! I'm always a little put off when a seller asks me to pay the fees...I never push buyers to pay the fees on my own sales & expect to be treated the same when I'm buying...

This, to double quote!  I am put off by this also and normally do not buy from sellers that do this (only done it once as a hindsight thank you for really good service on a transaction that could've went poorly due to our disagreement on this very topic), especially if it is not talked about or stated initially.  I don't expect it when I sell, and get irritated with it as a buyer.  Same goes when sellers ask to have money sent as a gift.  With all of the scamming that goes around on the internet, even in the pony community even though we try to contain/nip it in the bud, it still happens.  Need to protect yourself.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 12:07:46 AM »
Call me nuts but I NEVER let my buyers pay paypal fees!
I want the money fast and a safe way so I have to live with some tiny costs.
Some buyers are nice and send some lil extra cash but I NEVER ask for it! =)

It's my decicion and sometimes I have no choice and need to take paypal payments (specially from non european buyers) so I have to live with the fees.

Also I'm from Germany and not able to make gift payments - so most of the time I have to pay fees cuz most sellers ask for it... prolly it's cause $1 is very very important to survive.... whatever.
If it makes them happy ... I won't moan cuz it would'nt change anything =)

But that's just my opinion....
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 04:32:14 AM »
I personally would never ask my buyer upfront to cover my fee's. It's like saply stated, it basically is the price you pay to conduct business online. 

I also will not send payment as "gift" unless I know they are a tried and true reputable member.  I have seen to many cases where money was sent as a gift and they have no recourse to get their funds back. 

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:50:21 AM »
From a buyer's perspective, I won't pay a seller's fees.  If I see it written into a sales thread, I pass and move on.   I have no problem sending payments as a gift to people I know or have bought from before, but I won't pay for their privelege to use the service. 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 10:01:59 AM »
If I'm selling something as a favor for the price I paid for it (ie the Hot Topic Bubbles) I will ask the person to pay the fee (if I remember) since otherwise I am paying for the privilege of doing someone a favor-

If I am buying something from a friend I always try to send as a gift or paypal balance so they won't get charged the fee-

But I would never never send a gift payment for an ebay transaction- or expect or want one.

If someone is selling something on the board and wants to include the paypal fee- that should probably be mentioned up front.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »
Seller. ALWAYS.
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Now, if a person isn't "selling" but buying something on behalf of someone else-- for free, then obviously the buyer should pay the paypal fees.  (But if they are making profit, then paypal fees should be paid by seller).

BTW, when it comes to smaller amounts, gift is not always a good option. I prefer receiving payments as normal goods so that I can get free delivery confirmation (with first class mail). It's safer for the buyer and seller.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:49:19 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal