collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cheating on my childhood pony!  (Read 2085 times)

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Cheating on my childhood pony!
« on: October 25, 2012, 05:28:59 AM »

I received my first pony, Cotton Candy, for Christmas in 1984.  I *loved* her.  She is without a doubt the present I loved the most in all of childhood from the first moment I saw her.  I'd asked for a pony--I'd seen the Rescue from Midnight Castle special and wanted one--but I didn't know any of the individual ponies, so my mom picked Cotton Candy out.  It was a match made in heaven.  We went everywhere together.  Eventually she was joined by a substantial herd.

Years passed.  In 1994, two or three days before Christmas--almost exactly ten years after I first received Cotton Candy--I sent all of my ponies, playsets, accessories, etc., to the Salvation Army.  This included the 1989 lavender Dream Castle w/ box (ugh), Waterfall w/ box, Baby Buggy w/ box, and a herd of ponies w/ silky hair, blush, and original ribbons.  I had taken very good care of my later ponies. 

The only pony I kept was my somewhat worn, much beloved Cotton Candy.

In 1998 I found Seashell (a pony I'd always wanted) at a rummage sale, and I started collecting again.  Hundreds of ponies have come and gone through my hands b/c I really enjoy selling.  I've only gotten a handful of Cotton Candys, and none of them were really a match to my childhood one (as there were so many versions of her).

But now . . .

I just got a lot w/ a *beautiful* Cotton Candy that looks like a new version of my childhood one.  It's like having the Cotton Candy I got on Christmas Day 1984.  She arrived quite dirty, but cleaned up she is just about mint. 

And now I feel guilty!  Silly, yes.  My childhood Cotton Candy (together w/ my "new" collection) is three states away at my mother's house.  Yes, my old Cotton Candy is only a piece of plastic, but I can't help but feel like I'm cheating on her:)  I'm not into doubles, so I know one of them has to go, and it will probably be this new one even though . . . sigh . . . she is so pretty!

Have you ever felt like you were "cheating" on a pony?
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cheating on my childhood pony!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:53:37 AM »
Not at all, really - I have doubles for a number of childhood ponies who were extremely well loved, and thus quite worn.  They have their own special shelf space and a place of pride, while the doubles get the drawer with the bulk of my collection.  :P  My personal reasoning is if I ever had to get rid of my collection, they'd all go as full sets but my childhood ponies would be staying.  Also means I never have to worry about accidentally upgrading and sending away a childhood pony by accident.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:43:22 AM »
Not at all. I love my old ponies, but I constantly fall in love with new ones too!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
No not at all! I enjoy all of my collection and even though I have some favourites I can't say it worries me too much :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 03:44:51 PM »
Nahhhhh not at all.  Enjoy your ponies for whatever reason that they make you happy.  :)
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »
I love all my childhood ponies sadly though best wishes needs new hair and new flocking i wore both of them out.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
I feel like I'm cheating on SS Magic Star because I never display her.  too fragile!  she's not technically my childhood pony, but close.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
Nope, I don't feel like I'm cheating.  :)

I got a lovely Raincurl in a lot years ago and then last year I found my childhood Raincurl.  Both get equal amounts of love in my collection.  My childhood Raincurl has a spot of pride on the top shelf and my other Raincurl is lined up by pose with her sisters and I think they get along fine.

(I also own multiples of Rattles, Tattles, Sticky, Sniffles, Baby Glory and Baby Crumpet.)  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »
I had the same feeling with my childhood Sherbet. She's my girl I LOVE my Sherbet she gets all the love, touched up symbol regular cleaning her own special shelf with her own family when all my other ponies went into storage Sherbet stayed out where I could always see her. She's in good shape but a little darker than she should be and her blush is gone.

Then a few weeks ago my boyfriend brought home two ponies including a near mint Sherbet perfect symbol and blush! I saw her and though "I can't let /my/ Sherbet see me with her! she'll get mad!" I just traded the new Sherbet off thank the pony gods if my Sherbet knew that new version of her was in the house she's be furious   

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
I'm all for up-grading, but it's a bit different for childhood ponies!  :P

I say keep 'em both! Your childhood Cotton Candy will always be so special, and nothing, not even a minty one will replace the fond memories and sentiment you have for your original one  ^.^  I had no qualms getting a new, nice condition Bowtie for my collection (for display along with my other ponies). My childhood one (faded symbols, frizzy hair, initials on hooves...) is my most special pony, and thus, she gets pride of place right here next to the computer, outside of the cabinet!  :biggrin: 

As it turns out, the 'upgrade' I got was the darker blue variant, so I'm still on the lookout for a mint (standard) Bowtie, just to have a lovely display one. But when I do get one, she'll go in the cabinet along with the others (argh! So mean!), whereas my childhood girl is out here with me, in on all the action all the time  ;)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »
Nope me either, you should keep both of them :)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
I don't think you should feel bad, but I'm big on armies.

Hmm, I'm one of the few people that has avoided getting duplicates of my childhood ones. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »
I've felt that way and I talked myself out of it, which I now regret.

My fave pony was Firefly (her full story is in this link http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,312087.0.html).  She was so loved she turned became very baity.  Poor Firefly.  Now, when I started collecting I got a newer, lovelier Firefly and thought I'd use my old Firefly for a special custom pony for myself.  However, I'd never created a custom pony before and so she ended up as more of an 'experiment' pony.  Last I saw her she was covered in marker from yet another idea but now I have no idea where she is!  I wouldn't have thrown her out, would I?  Well, the guilt is big and I don't think I'll ever my old Firefly again.

I'm even worse with my Teddy Bear, Frenchy.  I packed up my stuffies for storage and I just couldn't pack up Frenchy.  I kept thinking how mean that would be, how, after all she's been to me, she deserves better.  I even apologize to her if she's fallen behind the bed or something and didn't notice for a while.  I know she's just a toy, as is Firefly, but they're more than that.
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

MyLittleLambie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
Keep both!!!!  The new one is one for display... to keep mint.  The original is the one you're allowed to play with as much as you want!!!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
Keep both!!!!  The new one is one for display... to keep mint.  The original is the one you're allowed to play with as much as you want!!!

this!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal