collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: to bait or not to bait ?  (Read 3401 times)

pony dust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: to bait or not to bait ?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 05:13:32 AM »
ok so i really dont think these ones are exactly "bait" as such but would you say they wear unfixable  ?

snow flake
perfect hair and crazy bright pink
BUT faded silver snow flakes :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

strange double printed freckles ?

then there is hopscotch

lovely soft purple hair , lovely eyes and mark , but maybe something chewed on her ear and feet? :(

and some perm marker on her leg

and this one looks fab , but then she has nibbles to her ear and horn

I have others in sad states but the normal things hair cuts , bit of pen , faded pink, scratched eyes etc i didnt want to bore with a million pics tho lol

so what/how would you do with these ones?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 06:06:24 AM »
Actually, I DO NOT like that site at all. It calls leaking plasticizer an easy fix when there is no way anybody has found to fix it, you can only wash some of the stickiness away temporarily. It calls flocking loss and permanent marker an impossible fix when that is NOT true. If you follow this guide you're going to ruin ponies that shouldn't be ruined. I wish they'd take it off the internet.

Leaking plasticizer is an easy fix, you just have to keep washing until it stops on its own.  There's only so much plasticizer in a pony, and once it's all gone, the problem is over.

You'll note that only MAJOR flocking loss and MAJOR permanent marker are listed under unfixable.  that means serious coverage loss of flocking, and a pony who's been completely covered in permanent marker.  If you know how to restore those to their original state, by all means please share with the rest of us.  Sunfading will take out marker, but there are cases where no amount of fading will help - there is just too much dye which has soaked right through the pony.   And no one to my knowledge has found a perfect match for original G1 flocking.  You can reflock a pony but it doesn't look or feel at all the same as the original. 

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »
Pony Dust, I'd say those ponies are very, very far from baits! They are basically perfect apart from small nibbles to their ears which (personally) doesn't bother me, and those things can always be sculpted. I mean, you'd have to sculpt it anyway if you were to make a custom, right? As for Snowflake, it's an easy fix, but then again, I wouldn't mind her in that condition anyway.

Rule of the thumb, if they are Euro/Germany/etc exclusives, don't bait them! There are plenty of people that don't have them. I mean, goodness me, that Hopscotch is amazing.

You can always offer to trade these ponies for a group of true baits, I'm sure people would be interested.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 06:36:23 AM »
I will only bait someone who is really covered in age spots/marker/chewed up, unless they are hard to find, in which case I may try to fix them up myself or sell them to someone else to do it.

Both the first two are European exclusives so some US collectors may find them hard to find... you could give Snowflake new symbols easy and Hopscotch looks like she can be saved too.

And that last one looks like Italian Moondancer? In which case I would definitely not bait her! She looks like she is in great conditions for an Italian! 

:)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

pony dust

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 07:07:29 AM »
i think I may :argh: be totaly in the wrong place to collect for customs lol

my familly are all in england ,we did live in italy b4 here, my house adress is both american and german (military base) and it seems every pony i can get my mitts on is some how exclusive to somewhere lol

so far i thought i had 2 ready for it, one is Northstar who has had her lip nibbled but looks like she was only avalible in eu so i guess shes a fixer ?  , and the other is gingerbread who had its head riped and hanging (ive glued / fixed that) , a hair cut and age spots so i guess it will be her that gets the make over lol
im going to need more than 1 though lol

Post Merge: October 25, 2012, 07:13:34 AM

Both the first two are European exclusives so some US collectors may find them hard to find... you could give Snowflake new symbols easy and Hopscotch looks like she can be saved too.

I have some silver pigments im not sure it would be a match for snowflake though as hers seems like a very fine silver glitter , i have a TAF milkyway to who looks fab just faded stars seems to be the same pigment on them ,

what would I sculpt with , i have polymers but they cure quite hard ponys are soft so im not sure they would work

And that last one looks like Italian Moondancer? In which case I would definitely not bait her! She looks like she is in great conditions for an Italian! 

she is italian ,are Italian ones normaly worse looking I mean more pron to brakedown and stain that others ? i have an italian tootsie? here to

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:15:34 AM by pony dust »

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 07:46:57 AM »
 :lovey:  :good:  :hope:

Pony Dust, those are beautiful.  If you want my opinion those are for-sure, without a doubt,  Not Bait.

However, they are your ponies!  you can do as you wish.  Though I might offer to buy them from you! ;)  :accomplished:

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »
Leaking plasticizer cause other issues such and thinning plastic that you can put your fingers through and puncture easily and I've found some of my leaky ponies have brown splotches (not dots) that could be a bacterial issue.

Major flocking loss can be a deflocked pony, not completey baited.

Most marker stains will sunfade no matter how much of the body they cover.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »
Deflocking is not a restoration, it's just another form of customization, thus technically you are baiting them, even if the "character" is staying the same.

Age spots and plasticizer separation can crop up in the same pony but it doesn't mean they have the same cause.  There are plenty of ponies who go "sticky" but have no age spots, and plenty who get age spots but not sticky.  We don't even know for sure what causes most of the ailments our favourite plastic horses suffer from, so I don't think it's fair to say all plasticizer issues are unfixable (age spots however, are unfixable, thus far.)  I have many formerly sticky ponies who are now rather hard but otherwise unaffected.

I picked up a Baby Moondancer many years ago from a thrift shop that had literally been rendered almost black over most of her body with (presumably) a sharpie.  No amount of sunfading would restore her to white, she sat in the window for years, with little progress.  The ink had soaked right through to her insides. Eventually I gave in and simply dyed her the rest of the way, and will make a lovely custom baby eventually.  So yes, there are ponies who cannot be reasonably salvaged by sunfading.

Most marker stains will sunfade, but not all of them.

Agree that all of those ponies look saveable, especially the Moondancer.  Doubt you'll have any trouble finding someone who'll trade you a group of baits for 'em.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »
pony dust always feel free to ask anything pony around here people are super friendly!

Of the 3 you have listed

Moondancer does indeed look like an Italian - you can check that by looking under her feet to see the country stamp and she looks in really nice condition.
No Italians are not more prone to break down in fact sometimes they seem to be in better condition than their HK counterparts - that's certainly true for ponies like Italian Confetti who ends up with age marks much less often than US Confetti!
Is your Italian Tootsie white or green - the former has a much greater value of course.

Hopscotch This is when things become judgement - as you can see for some people here she is not baity to them but for me I cant sculpt and I prefer to only collect minty ponies so she is one I would consider not collectable due to the work she needs as even if fixed she is not original any more. However, she is a Euro exclusive all be it an easy enough one to find so I am sure you ll find people willing to add her to their collection rather than baiting her. 

Snowflake She is the easiest pony to find from this set and she as often doesn't sell as sells so doesn't have a high value at all. Her symbol does not look completely gone so I am sure someone may be willing to buy her and restore.

I think it comes down to something really simple - do you want to collect or customise. If you are intending to collect I would add these girls to your collection and search the sales forums for some baity ponies. If you want to customise, you could try trading these girls in exchange for different baity ponies. Does it need to be G1s for your bait as you would certainly manage to trade these girls for more common baitable G3s.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
Yes, trade them away for baits if you want bait ponies.  I'm sure there are lots of us here that are jumping at the chance of yours beauties!  I certainly have g1 baits and g3's if that's what you are looking for lol.

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 04:29:37 AM »
As Hathorcat said, Italian ponies aren't more prone to age spots etc. It's just that for some reason most of the Italians I come accross seem to have been badly mistreated. :(

As for Sculpting Hopscotch, I was going to suggest Milliput but that dries hard. I don't know of any that stay soft. :huh:

It's up to you in the end, if you want to bait/restore/trade for baits - none of them are worth millions.  ;)

On a random note, I just had a thought that Snowflake would look great as a twice as fancy Snowflake...
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Dyzarktarzk

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »
I agree with the "do not bait" any of them.  But in the end, they are your ponies to do with them as you please, sell, trade, bait, etc.

Moonstone is amazing.

Maybe with Snowflake, even easier to find, her factory flaw with double-printed freckles is cute, even while missing symbols =)

And Hopscotch...  I know I don't mind a missing ear tip AT ALL, nor nibbled horn =D

pony dust

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »

On a random note, I just had a thought that Snowflake would look great as a twice as fancy Snowflake...

I think i quite love this idea :)

some great tips here thanks so much :) i am sorry it took so long for me to reply , i only just re found the thread lol
 :blush:
i wont bait any of them , i did finaly get my mitts on some ponys that i think i can use as bate

but i came accross the restoration thread on here today and stated thinking about restoring them but  now i have read this i am thinking maybe turning them all into TAF would be more fun lol especially the babys 

how dose selling , swapping , buying work on here ? I definitely have some to add :)

Dyzarktarzk

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
PM to explain sale/trade =)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »
You simply use the For Sale/For Trade/Wanted forums found in the side bar menu to post the items you have available. People will then get in touch with you through private message to discuss the trade or the sale.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal