collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First pony toy  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: First pony toy
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 06:16:59 AM »
my BF  likes the FIM show and we watch it togeather as its funny he also helps me catalouge my G1 collection he has also cought the customising bug off me and wants to do his own ! he already did a distroy a fakie at pony con and won ! he is also on here and on pony island i am a girl so he's not gay but that shouldent have anything  to do with sexual orientation anyway  you like what you like !! :biggrin:xaflamex
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:18:46 AM by Aflame »

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 06:33:24 AM »
Maybe you could come at this with a "collector" mentality? They may be more open to the idea at first if you approach them saying that they are highly collectable. Show them Mimic and Ditsy Doo's prices online and then ask them for one.

*big pony hugs* Lots of luck, sweety! At the least, you could do chores and save up to buy one for yourself. You might even could show them how big Friendship is Magic is online and that might help, too.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 06:40:59 AM »

MimiTheMuse

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 05:20:48 PM »
Sooooo....because I like classic cars and building things I must be a lesbian? NOT. I like what I like because I like it, and if someone likes ME, they should accept that. I mean, I have some friends who kinda roll their eyes at my toy collecting (I'm a 30 year old female, btw) but they know it makes me happy, so they don't say anything. And hey, I am so easy to shop for come Christmas and birthday time! XD

Be who you are. I get the feeling you're young, and there's a lot of pressure to fit in, but ten years from now it won't matter. This above all, to thine own self be true. :)

Tyler

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 12:21:58 AM »
When I lived at home, I had plenty of things my parents wouldn't understand or buy for me.  I had friends help me buy things and drive me to stores. I'm guessing you don't have access to friends like this?
I barely have a social life so no i don't and i have been hidding the fact that i liked ponys for 2 years.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 01:24:17 AM »
What'll happen if they think you're gay?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 06:22:45 AM »

This was kinda my question as well. What's wrong with being gay anyway? And if they think you are, and you aren't, what's the big deal? We live in the 21. century and things like this shouldn't be an issue.

Hiding who you are will only reinforce the "bad image" they might have about it. If you present it as something normal, that many people (guys and girls) do, they should accept it. So go out and get yourself a pony with your birthday money :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

MimiTheMuse

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »

This was kinda my question as well. What's wrong with being gay anyway? And if they think you are, and you aren't, what's the big deal? We live in the 21. century and things like this shouldn't be an issue.

Gosh, this breaks my heart. My brother is gay and he hadn't told our father until he was 47. It caused him so much pain and distress over the years, trying to come to terms with being gay all because he was afraid how people would accept him. I really, really hope no one else has to go through that in this day and age. :(

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »
  Well yes. We can all agree that there is nothing wrong with being gay. I can't wait until mankind has evolved to the point of acceptance of everyone. (Of course I'm sure I'll be long dead by the time that happens!) But before we make this into a thread about that issue, can't we all agree that there are times when people are just not ready to tell things to their parents, or just don't want to deal with their assumptions? When i was fourteen I hid stuff from my parents all the time!
  Although I agree with everyone's sentiments, I don't just want to tell you, "You shouldn't have ponies until you are ready to accept them wholeheartedly!"  You should probably start thinking of ways to let your parents know before too long, but I don't blame you for wanting to keep it quiet for now.
  It might be tough to order a pony online discreetly. Are there stores within walking distance you can go to? Would you be comfortable buying one from someone on the arena and sending concealed cash? Those are the best ideas I have.
  Things will get easier if you accept your love of ponies and are comfortable enough to let people know. You could actually get rides to the stores, and purchase the ponies without worrying what the cashier thinks. But it can be a slow process getting used to that.  :huh: You can always come here for support, but don't let us pressure you into going beyond your own pace.  :hope:
I'll put something here some time

Flutterwonder13

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »
Hey. I'm a 14 year old girl and I get you. Luckily, my parents are supportive of my hobby (I have so many ponies now.) but I was terrified the first time I picked up a pony in store! My first three, Flutters, Pinkie, and Dashie, were bought online. When I went to get applejack at target I near had a heart attack.  :P It gets easier. And I really don't understand people's need to label you gay because you like ponies. I'm sure your parents will be fine with it. It's a simple 5 dollar toy, no big deal.

Offline UnicornTamer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Everypony needs Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Dreams
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
I used to feel a little weird (though not around my family) but then I learned that some of my friends collected stuff, and none of them think its weird (in fact, one of my friends has gotten into ponies now). It's OK. Once you start talking about it, you'll feel great and . . . well yea. You know, then you'll be needing a pony room . . .

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
Tyler, my heart goes out to you.  I wish I had some advice for you, but all I can say is from a parent's perspective (okay, admittedly an off-the-beaten-path-and-marching-to-the-beat-of-her-own-drummer parent, but still...), I have no problem with my son liking FiM or ponies in general.  He knows 'em all, watches the cartoon with me, and is a frequent companion on my pony hunts at thrift shops. ^.^  I'm actually pleased he likes something that encourages friendship and caring and stuff like that than some of the (my own opinion, folks) violent dreck that's being geared towards small boys these days. 

As for the gender preference thing, I don't think toy preference enters into it, but hey, he's only nine, and whether he's gay, straight, or something inbetween, he's still my son and I'll always love and support him, no matter what.

I wrote a Parent's FAQ.  Maybe print it off and give it to them to review?

https://sites.google.com/site/parentsbronyfaq/

or

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B91g6YViIqr9N2VhNDc1ODQtNjRkZS00NDIwLTkzZjUtOGFmMzBjNWI4ZmI0/edit?pli=1

Hope that helps!

If I knew nothing about ponies, I'd think gabumon's FAQ was a godsend.  I'd definitely recommend sitting down with your folks and discussing it with them... because if you're concerned about how they'll take it and you wind up hiding it from them, it might just make you more concerned about how they'd take it if they find out you have been hiding it from them.  Kinda like Poe's Telltale Heart, but with pastel colours and rainbows instead of macabre thumping heartbeaty sounds. :blink:

Good luck whatever you decide. :hug:  And we're all pulling for you. ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »
i agree what would be the problem with them thinking your gay if you are that's fine and i your not that's fine too but liking pony's has nothing to do with that im sure there's plenty of people on the arena that would get you fluttershy or rainbow dash if you really want one the main six are so common that might be able to pay less than retail for one

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal