collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair Straightner/Curler Suggestions?  (Read 881 times)

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
Hair Straightner/Curler Suggestions?
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:45:28 AM »
So, I'm looking into getting some straighteners and a curling iron to use on ponies. I think I might have some but I've never really used them and don't even know if they're still in the house and if they even work.

I was looking around and found some 'mini' ones that are designed for when people travel and I think they seem perfectly pony sized. And they seem fairly cheap (15 GBP each)

But does anyone have any good reccomendations? Anything I should look out for feature wise?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
Re: Hair Straightner/Curler Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 06:29:02 AM »
I thought heat damaged the hair on ponies? I don't know that I would use a curling iron on them.

I use curlers and hot water to set pony curls :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline starrypawz

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:12:13 AM »
I thought heat damaged the hair on ponies? I don't know that I would use a curling iron on them.

I use curlers and hot water to set pony curls :)
I usually use straws/markers. But I could do with a bit of an edge for certain ponies that really need help.

I've seen quite a few people who use heat on pony hair and it seems to work okay.  I think I've been told you need to really conditon the hair first and work quite quickly.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:22:52 AM by starrypawz »

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:29:51 AM »
Heat won't damage a pony's hair if you do it right.  ;)

I use a cheap variable-temperature ceramic straightener and lots of high-quality conditioner, and I've had success with normal ponies, tinsel, clear tinsel, color-change hair, nirvana hair, and plushies/MPP's.  The trick is just to keep the hair moist and to keep the iron moving. 

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 01:27:15 PM »
Well..  :blush: I often curl my ponies hair with my own curler. And no. I do not use water and I do not use conditioner. My curler is even straight from the 80's so you cant even decide how hot it is. Its REALLY hot. And no, ive never had any problems. No melting, no nothing. I even curled Pony Brides hair (with tinsel) and nothing bad happened.

Im not saying you should do it that way, im just saying that its not hard.  :lol:

I have some pictures of the curls I did with my curler:

Sugar Sweet with Dollyhair:

Pony Bride with original hair:

And my childhood Pina Colada:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »
I have happily used a flat iron for straightening pony hair however I would recommend against using heat to curl hair. It works when straightening because you just keep the iron moving and therefore the hair gets hot and then cools, hot and then cools...if you keep a consistent and strong heat on it as you do when holding a curling iron in place you are very much risking melting. You may have some success but personally its not a risk I would take...but its down to individuals. As Skeen says always make sure to use as much conditioner as possible and keep the hair wet to damp.

As for straighteners I have found the most success with a cheap ceramic pair to be honest - its got 3 heat settings and cost me about £12 I think Boots.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »
I've never had a problem with melting hair but make sure it has more than one heat setting! If it only has one, it's almost guaranteed to be too hot. As for the conditioner and water technique, I've never personally tried it as I have great results without it. Some straighteners have 25+ heat settings but I'm sure around 3 settings like mentioned above is enough. :) I'd also suggest trying to find a ceramic/ceramic plated one over shiny metal if possible.
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline starrypawz

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
Someone on the UK ponycon fourm reccommended a particular pair of straightners, which I believe are the ones I intially saw. I'll do some searching tomorrow to see where has them at the best price and try and grab a pair.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal