collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 3d Printed Ponies by Hashbro (& others, and you?)  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 3d Printed Ponies by Hashbro (& others, and you?)
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 07:14:08 PM »
3D printing is a new technology and like any new field, it's going to have a long way to go before it can produce something reliably, quickly, and of high quality.  Look at the very early printers, anyone remember dot matrix? with the little perforated borders with holes that let the paper be fed into the computer?  It could take hours to print a large sized banner and the quality was pretty abysmal.  Nowadays you can get prints in a minute that rival those of a professional photo shop. 

Even if it is perfected, it does not produce something that rivals real ponies.  The materials are rigid and generally pretty fragile.  Suitable for display, but not so much for playing with.  Nor can you render brushable hair!
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
Why not save alot of bucks and just get some modelling clay of fimo or something?!  I bet that's way more fun and messy anyhow!

Some people can't sculpt with clay or fimo worth a darn but are good at 3D computer modeling.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 05:00:25 AM »
Although I'm speculating, I suspect Hasbro enjoys and profits from its reputation of being extremely fan-focused and tolerant of minor derivative works that are common in its fan base (why else would they encourage pony conventions and custom pony contests?)

Oh Hasbro can be both supportive and non-supportive of the collecting community - they pursue some infringement [e.g. the inference of a potential cease and desist to a plush maker recently and years ago they did once issue a c&d against a customiser] and others they ignore, sometimes they listen [the Fan Favourites collection] and sometimes they completely ignore [the Bore-7]. Personally, as a collector, I don't think it would be fair to say they are fan-focused to be honest. The difference this time is that StudioB are fan focused and engaging - Hasbro the toy manufacturer not as much.

In the 80s and 90s they were a little more aggressive against the like for like manufacturers who they could get to but now with most fakie manufacturers being remote Chinese factories its not worth it as the product has a different market in some ways; you dont see Demon Donkey on a shelf beside MLP in TRU. Its a balance - what affects their bottom line whether that be through the loss of rights to their own products, the loss of identity of their products or the actual loss of money through companies/individuals infringing licensees [there is a reason they contacted a well known plush maker and then shortly thereafter were discovered to have sold a license for plush manufacture].

I am 100% on board with creativity and people engaging so much with a brand that they start a loyalty cycle - I am in marketing after all and when you work with a brand that has this level of customer/client/partner engagement then its so much easier! All I am saying is that things have to stay at a comfort level - i.e. a level where Hasbro see it as engaging and not in any way intrusive. Yes the brony and collecting world is clearly on their radar but personally I like being a little blip and not an incoming cruise missile :)

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 05:39:23 AM »
I don't think it's really fair to criticize the makers of 3-D ponies when a good chunk of customs in our community are made using fakies in bootlegged molds--the Dollar General babies, the Crumpet pose, and all the G3 / G3.5 / Newborn Cuties and now even G4 fakies.

You can bet those fakie companies are making more $$$ than one person with a 3-D printer in their basement.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »
I am not criticizing these people in any way - in fact I think I mentioned a few times about really liking the creative aspect of it - I am only voicing my opinion on the idea if it ever was done on a commercial scale and that doesnt have to be as grand as Funko or Funrise it only has to be enough to annoy the parent company. Companies like Disney have become crazy protective over everything because of abuse. I have no problem with anyone doing anything to engage with their fandom or a product they love.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 08:09:55 AM »
Oh Hasbro can be both supportive and non-supportive of the collecting community - they pursue some infringement [e.g. the inference of a potential cease and desist to a plush maker recently and years ago they did once issue a c&d against a customiser]

Actually-  all that crap about Hasbro pursuing a cease and desist against a plush maker (whitedove) turns out was complete bunk.  All that they did was ask Deviantart to ask her to take down her public commission post- she was asked to do it privately or not post sale links/prices on her Deviantart page.   They did not EVER pursue a cease and desist against a plushie maker.   You can read it on her Deviantart page...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
I don't think it's really fair to criticize the makers of 3-D ponies when a good chunk of customs in our community are made using fakies in bootlegged molds--the Dollar General babies, the Crumpet pose, and all the G3 / G3.5 / Newborn Cuties and now even G4 fakies.

You can bet those fakie companies are making more $$$ than one person with a 3-D printer in their basement.

The difference about customs is that the artist is using the pony as a base, as a canvas, as a medium, not copying Hasbro's product in the first place.

Hasbro employees were paid to create the molds for the ponies, therefore someone sitting down and re-working the mold in another 3D modelling program is akin to copyright violation.  You can't say that about an artist who re-hairs a pony, re-paints it, gives it a symbol, or sculpts it into a different pose.   Arguing that customs should be "challenged" for the same reasons that these 3D printed ponies are being "challenged" is like arguing that an artist should be punished for using a sketchpad instead of leaving it as a blank pad of paper. 

And it is true, we should be "against" all fakie manufacturers who use Hasbro's molds but currently there is no way to force a court to convene and press charges against Chinese manufacturers.  The Chinese government simply does not allow that sort of lawsuit to be brought to their courts, except in rare cases such as designer goods like clothing, purses, jewelry, etc.

So it's up to the individual collector and their conscience - personally I can say I don't buy fakies at retail, even if they are cute sometimes.  I mostly end up with them as the extras in a toy grab bag at the thrift store.  But I certainly don't want to condone a retail establishment's purchase of the fakies, as yes, I do believe that Hasbro-sourced fakies are incredibly inappropriate. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:54:38 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
Those are pretty neat.  Looks like a fun hobby! 

People are getting pretty excited about 3D printing, but it isn't really as glorious as it sounds. As many people have mentioned here, the 3D print is brittle, and/or really rough looking. They are just meant to make a rough model as a proof of concept or prototype to show off a new design.

I have made 3D prints with a harder plastic that was rough, and another with a brittle, wafer-like material, but don't think they would suit a sculpture very well.

For any purchasers looking for something to last, I wouldn't recommend buying 3D prints. I can't imagine them surviving shipping.

Neat pics though. That would take some fancy modelling skills.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »
Oh Hasbro can be both supportive and non-supportive of the collecting community - they pursue some infringement [e.g. the inference of a potential cease and desist to a plush maker recently and years ago they did once issue a c&d against a customiser]

Actually-  all that crap about Hasbro pursuing a cease and desist against a plush maker (whitedove) turns out was complete bunk.  All that they did was ask Deviantart to ask her to take down her public commission post- she was asked to do it privately or not post sale links/prices on her Deviantart page.   They did not EVER pursue a cease and desist against a plushie maker.   You can read it on her Deviantart page...

Yes that's why I said "the inference of a potential"...i.e. they didn't do it but they went so far as to make effort to put some kind of stop to the activity :)

And even if they didn't get into the legalities on this one that doesn't stop the fact that they did react to fan made merchandise in a negative way on this occasion.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »

I love this thread. 3d printing/rapid prototyping fascinates me. :D The customs pictured above are fantastic! Do you know what kind of material the artist uses and the process the use to finish it. The details look so much finer than that of the brittle organic substances a lot of 3d printers come out with.

As for the discussion on using 3d printing for customs; I think its a great too. From what I have seen thus far it can not be used on its own from start to finish well but its a great tool for staring stages of items that needs to be cast or molded. Hasbro actually uses similar machines for some of their initial prototypes right?
~Foxtale~

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 10:03:01 AM »
I find the process fascinating too!  Totally sci-fi, I can't wait to see where this technology goes next!

It sounds like there is a pretty wide range of materials- and most require sanding/finishing I think...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal