collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony shopping in New York?  (Read 987 times)

Offline xCharx

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Pony shopping in New York?
« on: September 24, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
I'm going to New York next month! :biggrin: Excited!! I'll be in a hotel close to Madison Square Garden.
What are good places to shop for ponies? (not very interested in G4)
- I often see brag posts about ponies found at thrift shops, I'm interested to know names of good thrift shops to look for ponies.
- Is there by any chance a special store that sells vintage toys where I might find G1's?
- Is there a huge toystore that's really cool to visit?
- I'm intereseted in fakies too. Can I find them in the regular toystores? Or should I look somewhere else for them?

Thank you!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Pony shopping in New York?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
Oh that sounds fun! Hopefully someone can help point you in the right direction.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »
You can go to FAO Schwartz and the large Toys R Us in Times Square. I hate Times Square, but the shows and that store are awesome.

You can find fakies in stores like dollar stores (many of those in NYC).

Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline EvilMuffins

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »
I live in NY, but north of the city, so I might not be good help. If you can find Salvation Army or Good Will, those are our big thrift shop chains. I don't have much luck here in the country side but the city might be different. Are you going to NY Comic Con? Hasbro usually has a booth. It would only be G4, but might be fun to look at.
The Toys R Us in the city has an MLP cart on their ferris wheel! Fun to see.
My favorite dollar store for fakies is called Dollar Tree. Just a Buck is good too. Not sure if they have them in the city, but they are everywhere in my area.

tiktok

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »
I also live in NY, but southeast of the city. My experience with NYC "thrift" shops is that they mostly focus on clothes, accessories, and various "hipster" items - they're basically boutique vintage shops, and they will likely be overpriced (as is everything in NYC). If you can, try Salvation Army or Goodwill, as previously suggested. I've been to a few cute/interesting thrift stores where I've gotten clothes/accessories/albums and such in the Village and further downtown.

I would expect to have better luck with ponies in thrift stores in Queens or Brooklyn - more families with kids live there, so they're more likely to have toys. You can take the subway out if you're feeling adventurous - definitely make a travel plan if you are going to the outer boroughs because cabs are scarcer and subway stops are further from one another.

FlutterShySweetie

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »
Oh hi hi! I'm right in long island :) theres not tons of ponies at thrift stores I look whenever I'm near one, I think with our population any that come in go out ASAP. However most every drug store carries the G4s and our toy stores are usually really really well stocked. A toys r us just opened down the street with half a aisle dedicated to ponies!! If you need any info just PM me. Cheers!

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »
You should go to FAO Schwartz! Probably there won't be ponies, but if just the catalog is as insane as it is, then the store must be beyond insane!
I'll put something here some time

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 06:33:45 PM »
Hmm, never been to NY but I did a search and found one called "vintage thrift." Dunno if there's only clothing, but it might be worth a look. :) The address is:

286 3rd Ave
New York, NY 10010

(looked on a map and it's only a couple blocks from Madison Ave & Madison square park)

Offline Daiyuflower

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »
You might also try Toy Tokyo near Astor Place (91 2nd Avenue).  They carry anime items,  and some vintage toys.  I remember seeing vintage Star Wars...can't remember if I ever saw ponies there, but it's worth a shot :)

Forbidden Planet near Union Square also carries some vintage toys, but I don't remember seeing any ponies.  It's also mostly Star Wars and comic book vintage toys. 

The shopping near Madison Square Garden is mostly clothing.  Others have nailed the two large toy stores--FAO Schwarz near 5th avenue, and the Toys R Us in Times Square.  Both are a lot of fun, especially FAO.  If you've ever seen the movie "Big" with Tom Hanks, the toy store featured in that movie is FAO.  I don't remember FAO carrying ponies, but the Toysrus does. 

I remember there being a dollar store right off of Broadway near K-town next to where you are staying, but I can't recall the name of it...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:47:42 PM by Daiyuflower »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 07:44:50 PM »
How cool! You have any tentative plans for your trip? Are you only going to be in manhattan?

As for ponies, manhattan is pretty barren. As many have said, the large tru is a must see, although most toys would be g4 but thbe g3 cart on the carousel is so much fun. As for thrift stores with ponies...I haven't come across anywith vintage toys. Mostly clothing and the like. So I don't know how muc luck you'll have there.

If you just love designer and vintage toys, check out Toy tokyo in the East Village, 91 2nd ave. Its pretty sweet. Last time I looked for vintae toys stores in the area, they had all closed or moved. :-(

I would love to hear what you find! I'm always up for new things!

I can tell you awesome places to get donuts, rice pudding or other awesome snacks and comic books. ;p

Have fun.!
~Foxtale~

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »
I just went about a month ago, was awesome!

FAO Schwartz is well worth a look round but alas does not stock ponies. TRU in Times Square does and has Zecora, the Nightmare Moon pack etc HOWEVER they are a lot more expensive than anywhere else...

BUT if you want something pony... that TRU does have a ferris wheel inside and one of the pods features G3 MLPs, shame I don't have pics of it on here :D So you could ride that and get the pony experience!

I looked around a market when I was there in the hope of finding vintage MLPs but as others have said they sell mainly vintage clothes/accessories at horrendous prices XD

Hope you have a wonderful time there! I can't wait to go back!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

tiktok

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 11:15:05 AM »
If you do plan on hitting FAO Schwarz and TRU Times Square, I recommend going early in the day on a weekday - it'll be less crowded that way. FAO and TRU both open at ten AM; I would try to be there as close to ten as possible for maximum enjoyability.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 11:34:47 AM »
If you go to Queens to pony hunt, do stop by the Museum of the Moving Image. It's awesome and they have a free night - I think it's Friday. It's on a really pretty tree-lined street and there's a great burger place down the road.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 03:38:34 PM »
BUT if you want something pony... that TRU does have a ferris wheel inside and one of the pods features G3 MLPs, shame I don't have pics of it on here :D So you could ride that and get the pony experience!

When I was in NY and spotted this through the window I actually made a real life "squee" sound in the middle of the street lol!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal