collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why do we have to pay return shipping on items not described right  (Read 1845 times)

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Why do we have to pay return shipping on items not described right
« on: September 05, 2012, 08:33:40 AM »
To me this is a bunch of nonsense. It is not the buyers fault that the item wasnt described right so i dont see why we should be out of money just to get what we spent back! Im so furious with this seller on ebay right now!

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we have to pay return shipping on items not described right
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
I thought ebay sellers were responsible when items weren't described correctly. 
Well that's bad policy on the part of your seller to change you because they messed up.

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 08:57:17 AM »
I had to open a case against this person because they wouldnt respond. Now theyre acting like they never got the message but when i scroll down in the messages my message clearly shows that it was sent.

This is the message ebay sent me:

We let the seller know the item wasn't as described.

The seller has offered you a full refund for the purchase price plus original shipping if you return the item. To get your refund, ship the item back to the seller. You will need to cover the cost of returning the item. Make sure you ship the item by Sep 08, 2012

This just seems like crap to me. After i received that message from ebay i got a msg from the seller asking if i ever recieved my item and i told them i already sent them a message and told them that its only right if they cover the cost of returning the item.

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
I thought ebay sellers were responsible when items weren't described correctly. 
Well that's bad policy on the part of your seller to change you because they messed up.

I know it's not fair but seriously, if people start asking for this to change then Ebay will change it. And guess what? Then us sellers will be taking back VOLUMES of items that buyers are claiming are not-as-described even if they are. Then us sellers will be out so much money from returns that Ebay will be impossible to sell on unless you are Walmart.

We sellers can barely afford to take back the forced returns due to a buyer's mistake or change of mind. We don't even get our shipping back when we shipped the item to them. This would only make it worse.

Plus, it's not possible. Ebay is already skimming the rules when it comes to forced returns. Could you imagine Ebay not only forcing returns and then taking money out of your account to force you to pay for the returns?

If the seller made a mistake, refuses to make it right and leaves you out of money the best thing you can do is leave appropriate feedback.

Is there more to this story about the item not as described op?

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:01:49 AM »
I am sorry you are having issues on ebay. 

Unfortunately eBay policy states the buyer is responsible for return shipping. My guess is because Ebay figures it is a 50/50 split when they require the seller to refund the original shipping and the buyer to pay the return.

However, I feel if it is clearly a seller's mistake, a smart seller will offer to pay.  After all, why should a buyer be out money for an error they had no control over.

Also it is possible she did not get the message you sent.  I have had ebay messages go directly to my Spam before, so it's possible.  If I was you I would send her another message and ask how she would like to proceed with the return.  She may offer to refund you your shipping expense back. 

Good Luck and I would remain professional in your response as it will bring about better results.

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »
Hope all goes well for you, and if not, we look forward to knowing the seller's ID. 

I think Ebay realizes that it might be unreasonable to expect a seller to be able to accurately describe items 100% of the time, especially as they aren't brand-new in package most of the time.  It's easy to miss a spot or stray mark here and there, or slight box damage, or an age spot.  Since it's a secondhand market, I think they feel it's up to the buyer to ask detailed questions and inspect all photos diligently; but if the item doesn't hold up to the buyer's standards, it's up to them to return it. 

I can understand things from the seller's point of view. If they described the item as best they could and took photos, then having to refund the buyer's purchase price and the original shipping is fair when the buyer's unhappy.  If the buyer is unhappy enough to send it back, that's their choice to proceed in that fashion.  It would be a little ridiculous to also have to pay the buyer's return shipping when they decided they were unhappy with the outcome. 

Otherwise, buyer's remorse cases would flood Ebay and then nobody would sell there because it would be like throwing money away as sellers got scammed by overly-picky buyers. 

Reminds me of when I worked at a grocery store, when customers would try to return fruit or other produce two days after they bought it, and insist they also be refunded the 2 cents of sales tax they paid.  Be glad there IS a policy for refunds/returns... Ebay could say, "It's a secondhand market and all sales are AS-IS."
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:44:52 PM »
Ive had nothing but problems with this buyer. I won the item over a month ago and they stayed in contact with me "wondering" when the item was going to show up. When i finally recieved it the shipping date was only a couple days before and they had been lying to me about shipping it over a month previous.

It was stated as a new without tags shirt and once i took it out of the package it had two brownish orange stains right on the neckline and i messaged them instantly stating the flaws and how id noticed the shipping date but they never responded so i opened a case against them and this is what its come down to.

Ive even offered to send pics of the flaws but they act like they arent getting my messages.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 02:36:47 AM »
:crazy:  I would be more than a bit upset at receiving an item like that too .
I know its not fair to have to pay to ship this item back in this case , since it clearly wasnt as described. If this were a good seller who made a genuine mistake then, like ponylady mentioned, they would offer to pay return shipping. However, if they arent responding anymore and you have opened the case, ebay will make you pay return shipping. Thankfully it shouldnt cost you too much unless it was a very heavy shirt, plus its better to lose a bit of money on return shipping ,than all of what you paid on a shirt that you'd never wear   ;) .. then leave some appropriate feedback to warn others.
:hug:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 07:39:34 AM »
Sounds pretty annoying. Why don't you send them a message through the Ebay case system that says:

"Hi, I have photos of the flaws on the shirt. Can you please tell me if you would like to see them? I think it's unfair for me to pay return shipping when these shirt is not new like described".

If you send it through the Ebay case system everyone will be able to see it and I doubt she will say she never saw it.

Then once you send it through the case system send her another message through regular Ebay that says the same thing.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 06:23:55 PM »
this is ebay policy, the buyer pays for return shipping, this prevents the buyer from scamming the seller by saying they want to return it and then keeping the money
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 07:19:18 PM »
I guess im just gunna take a loss. They only gave me 3 days to return it and ive been super busy. I only paid $4.75 for it and free shipping so it wont be worth it anyways after i pay the shipping.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:18:41 PM »
I guess im just gunna take a loss. They only gave me 3 days to return it and ive been super busy. I only paid $4.75 for it and free shipping so it wont be worth it anyways after i pay the shipping.
3 days? we sale on ebay and ebay policy is you have like 90 days to file . it sucks both ways for buyer and sellers, sellers get ripped off all the time, and buyers lose money paying return shipping. people on both sides lie to each other, I have had sellers say thry shipped my item then days later i get the tracking info"you can blame ebay's new 1 day shipping policy for that, sellers mark items shipped before it is shipped to help them keep there trusted seller and power seller status
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 01:43:40 AM »
Ebays minimum return time these days is 14 days I think.  At least, that's the lowest option to choose when starting an auction. But for an item not as described you could possibly have longer to file with eBay or to file with PayPal directly. If I were you, I would try to file anyway out of spite. I hate when people do stuff like that :(

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
When ebay sent me that message telling me to return the item at my own expense it gave me a deadline of sept 8 and the message was sent on the sept 5. Id really like to call ebays customer service and let them know what i think but theyd prolly hang up before i could get much out.

I went ahead and sent it back today and it cost me $2.97. They are definately getting a negative for this one which says alot since i have yet to leave a negative on anything ive ever bought.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 10:02:41 AM »
3 days? we sale on ebay and ebay policy is you have like 90 days to file . it sucks both ways for buyer and sellers, sellers get ripped off all the time, and buyers lose money paying return shipping. people on both sides lie to each other, I have had sellers say thry shipped my item then days later i get the tracking info"you can blame ebay's new 1 day shipping policy for that, sellers mark items shipped before it is shipped to help them keep there trusted seller and power seller status

It's not 90 days, it's 45 days.

But once you open up a case you have to keep up with it within an appropriate time which is whatever Ebay states. I thought it was usually a week to return the item but maybe things are different.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal