collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My First Customs: It's getting pretty Asgard in here...  (Read 374 times)

redwerecat

• Trade Count: (0)
My First Customs: It's getting pretty Asgard in here...
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
So...I'd be lying if I said this was recent, because I finished all three about a year ago, but my process is mostly 10% working, 85% staring at a blank pony and freaking out, and 5% fixing whatever I just did wrong.

A trio of ponies based off Norse Mythology! or, at least, Marvel's version of it!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

First, Teeny Sleipnir.
He's a difficult one...two ponies pasted together with sculpey! He was hard. And has a hilariously :muffin: Pony face. I don;t even know what two ponies I cannibalized for him, but that one was yellow and the other was ... white. With wings. They came from a thrift store, both in awful condition.
ANYWAY. Full body repaint with acrylic, and re-haired with wig leftovers from a Halloween wig, hence the Bride of Frankenstein look going on. He's got gloss all over him, because I thought he looked better kind of shiny. I don't know anymore...
Based off the mythological horse from Norse mythology...the octorse! I mean, Loki's son, an eight-legged horse that runs around on rainbows.
I also spelled his name wrong in his cutie mark... I'm missing an 'I'-equivalent rune, and I think an N?

THOR! God of thunder and...adorable. Full body repaint in student/craft acrylic, plus sculpey for his helmet and a little addition to his chin to make him more 'manly' but I think it actually just sort of makes him look like a dinosaur. I was aiming to get rid of the dopey smile the ponies have, but it didn't really work. Now he just kind of looks inebriated. Re-haired with another pony's mane, and a clip-in extension for his tail because i had nothing else. Felt for his spiffy cape... I kind of want to make him a hammer!
Based off the original Marvel Comics version of Thor.

Annnnd Loki. Because where would Thor be without him?
Full repaint for him too, in craft acrylics, and sealed with a gloss. Sculpey for his horns, helmet, legwraps, and to enhance his face to give him a classic Loki-smirk. I definitely fixed the cute smile on his base...and now he has eyebrows too. Loki-pony is glaring at you. Felt for his cape, faux fur scavenged from a Troll doll that came in the Thrift store bag I got the ponies in and eventually dyed (with ...coffee...wow.), and real leather for his hair wrap, dyed fabric for his boots, and a bit of chain and jewelry bits (From my "I will use this eventually but I don't know what it is or where it came from' box) for his shoulders, cloak chain, and writs.
His 'mane' ...ponytail thing- is the same scavenged hair clip from Thor, and his tail is wig hair.

These were my first customs, and were probably lofty projects to pick... but fun. I learned a lot. Such as...REHAIRING SUCKS. And... paint is evil. And... do not confuse your soda cup and your water for your paint. (Actually I paint pretty consistently, and do THIS pretty consistently too...)

Anyway, thought I'd share since I spent a LONG time on this site tracking down hints, tips, and methods by scouring this forum as a guest, and raiding the archives.

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: My First Customs: It's getting pretty Asgard in here...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:22:21 PM »
WOW totally in love with Loki! He is amazingly fabulous., They all are, but he is my fave. Great work! Looking forward to seeing more from you!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:06:55 AM »
Wow!!! Great job! Sleipnir is really cool!

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:26:39 AM »
Wonderful!! Love them!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:54:17 AM »
They look awesome! Great job! Especially for your firsts!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:57 AM »
I refuse to believe those are your first ponies :P  They look fabulous!  Such crisp colors!

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »
they all look awesome ^_^ lots of great detail work!

redwerecat

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »
@Colorscapesart: Xd My first Pony customs, technically. I may or may not have years of painting and sculpting experience behind me! Thank you. But I already see things I'd like to improve...the life of an artist, I guess?
The crispness...is...patience. Ugh. And the advantage of fine brushes and primary colored paint?

And yes, Loki IS fabulous. Nothing else would suit him.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal