collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay has presented me with a moral dilemma  (Read 1306 times)

Water_Fire

• Trade Count: (0)
Ebay has presented me with a moral dilemma
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »
So, today I received my Ivy, who I was very excited for. For reference, here's the link to the auction I won her in. As you can see, she was an utter bargain. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150873428474?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1156

She looks ok, right? There's that pink mark on her flank but that can be made the NDS if needs be.

However.

She showed up and she looked like this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's kind of hard to see, but she's missing her eye gems, her tail's rather frizzy and there's pink marks all over her other side! Plus, the 'slightly faded' cutie mark has been half rubbed away!! Her description online wasn't misleading as such, but didn't describe the extent of her problems. In their defence, if I'd looked closer I'd have seen at least one gem was missing in the pic.

Now, normally, I'd mention this in my feedback (as I certainly wouldn't have bought her in this condition if I'd known) but also included in the package was this:

If you can't see it, it reads as follows:

'Thank you for giving Ivy a good home. She has been loved and well looked after for many years. Ivy is looking forward to many more adventures in her new home.

I hope Ivy will be joined by many more of her friends in the near future.

Ash and Katy'.

Oh blimey, what do?! I SHOULD leave the comment, but those kids obviously loved poor old Ivy. I COULD fix her up (after all, it's all fairly superficial damage), but I wasn't expecting a fixer upper pony! I feel so awful! What do my fellow collectors think?

[Moving to Trader Support ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:46:20 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay has presented me with a moral dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »
Actually you can see the frizz in the photo and  the missing eye crystal.  They did list the pink mark and say the symbol was faded.  I would calk it up to a good deal not always being one and move on.  They never listed her as mint and who knows if they are not pony folks they might not have even realized they needed to list the missing eyes. 

If you feel you must do something I would send them communication via ebay and let them know nicely if they sell anymore ponies they need to list everything.

I would not put anything in there feedback.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
For 99p's worth of pony I don't think you should write anything negative in the feedback. Especially with that letter. It's so cute! I've never received a letter like that with a pony!

mollldoll

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
aww im too soft and would not mention it in the feedback >_> she was cheap enough and that letter is quite sweet

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:39:09 PM »
I was thinking something similar to what Diamond said.

Leave positive feedback since she was still a pretty good deal regardless, then send the seller a really polite and friendly message stating you have no ill-will, but that they should do their best to list all flaws and take photos of both sides of the pony so that they don't have run-ins with mean people who would drag them through the mud even after getting a good deal.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:39:18 PM »
I would say suck it up-  especially considering the cost.  They didn't do a fantastic job describing, but the description does appear to be accurate- I think it likely they didn't notice the eye item.

I would definitely not put something negative sounding in the feedback.

Water_Fire

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »
Wishing I never mentioned it now, I feel awful!!

I might just leave them a polite message as you said. As I said in the original post, I should have seen her eye gems were missing. I'm more annoyed about those pink splotches (which are a lot worse in the flesh, sadly), and that half gone cutie mark.

I probably just overreacted because she wasn't as I thought she was! Oh well, guess I'll just have to fix her up! And for 99p, I certainly can't complain.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »
I wouldn't put anything negative in the feedback since it sounds like they might not know the level of detail collectors look for, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to do what Yurusumaji said. (If nothing else, I wouldn't leave negative feedback without first contacting the selling in any sale anyway)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »
I'll cast my vote also in the "don't do anything".  She did say "Fair" condition.

(Also, I clicked on this thread because ebay gives me moral dilemmas every second I spend there!!! XD   )

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »
I have an absolute tonne of that pony lying around by the way... If you would like an upgraded one then I can send you one, you could just pay me for the postage :)

Offline sk22

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 02:49:16 PM »
Aww, that note is so sweet! Even with her flaws, your Ivy is still a cutie. I wouldn't leave a negative feedback.

Thanks to Pony Toes for my Shady avatar & Wyn-wyn for my Goldengrape signature! :)

Water_Fire

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
Mercynova, I may just take you up on that!

I'll leave good feedback and a polite message in the morning. I was never going to leave something saying 'OMG THIS WAS AWFUL', or anything like that! I'd like to think I'm more reasonable, and plus I've been on the receiving on end of it too (Someone made snotty comments about my postage costs, even though no one has complained and I often don't charge enough!).

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »
No worries no one thought you would do that.  I had it happen once too, the nature of dealing with the public.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 04:57:36 PM »
 :lovey: AW! I wish all ponies came with a loving letter! I'd save them all in a scrapbook and know my ponies have known love... :lovey:

If you're concerned about letting the seller know to list every detail, don't be. If you're polite about it (which you've established you will be) then the worst that can happen is the seller's kids/original pony owners will feel a little sad. The best thing that happens is everyone there knows for future reference that they should be more descriptive. They mentioned in the letter that maybe Ivy would be "joined by her friends" - sounds like they have more to sell. It's better they hear it for someone who is nice about it than from the many mean-spirited/entitled/insane buyers on eBay.
I'll put something here some time

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »

(Also, I clicked on this thread because ebay gives me moral dilemmas every second I spend there!!! XD   )

Haha same here!! XD

Mercynova, that was such a sweet offer! ^_^ There are such nice people here at the Arena!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal