collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Christmas/Holidays 2012 ????  (Read 2454 times)

stormwing

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Christmas/Holidays 2012 ????
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »
I'd be happy with ANY holiday pony! Easter, Halloween, Christmas. Heck, I'd take a patriotic July 4th one! I would love to see G4 Minty with holiday accessories. I also think the BBs would lend themselves well to holiday playsets; such as Halloween with costumes and trick or treat bags or Christmas with a tree and plates of gingerbread ponies.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 10:00:46 PM »
G4 Minty would be such an awesome Holiday pony. I'd love to see her with some cute socks (maybe pink with snowflakes or little snowmen printed on them) and a Santa hat. That would be so cute. Of course I know I'm just dreaming. Hasbro wouldn't do anything that awesome.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 02:38:17 AM »
Another consideration may be that most of the holiday themed ponies I can remember were Target exclusives.  Target already has it's own line of exclusive ponies so it may be that no other retailers are interested in holiday ponies.

Now that is a pretty excellent observation.

Target are chock a block full with a complete range of exclusives now not just the selection they got through G3 - so perhaps, as you say, they consider themselves to have out laid enough in order to get Canterlot and then CE [or at least part of CE] without adding holiday specifics.

As mentioned holiday exclusives sold in the past when they were unique ponies and "holiday" relevant ponies - such as Pumpkin Tart. The current need to simply "holiday-ize" ponies which we already have in excessive abundance on shelves and with such minimal changes is lazy and unlikely to win a retailer or customers over. Pinkie and FS holiday ponies were really weird, and felt suspiciously, last minute decisions. In some ways its unfair of Hasbro to claim the reason for no more is the lack of success on the previous products in the range when so little effort was put into said product.

All that being said, we never really saw more than 1 or 2 holiday ponies in the pre G3 gens, so perhaps we were spoiled with G3 and G4 will revert back to earlier traditions of no holiday ponies.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 05:11:00 AM »
Can we email this thread to hasbro? lol

GDI......we better get G4 Minty soon. The holidays sounds like the perfect time. Make her a New Year's pony.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 06:53:34 AM »

In regards to past several ponies not selling well, I admit that I did not buy all of the G3 winter ponies after they started all looking alike with recycled accessories. 

*raises hand guiltily* Same here. I think you're right, Hasbro probably saw a steep drop in sales of the holiday themed ponies as the years went on, probably because of that very reason (although even right up until before they introduced the Core 7 they did have unique halloween ones like the ladybug and the fairy ponies!)

In some ways its unfair of Hasbro to claim the reason for no more is the lack of success on the previous products in the range when so little effort was put into said product.

Yeah but you know they do anyway. :P

Just like I'm sure if the current TRU Collectors Set doesn't sell well enough, Hasbro will just shrug their shoulders and say "Well obviously the collectors don't want to buy the toys, we shouldn't cater to them anymore and just focus on the child demographic." Regardless of what the quality and price of the product was! :mad:
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 07:06:18 AM »
I never would have guessed so many people were looking forward to holiday ponies! I kind of feel bad to say it now, but personally, I really hate holiday-themed ponies...if they're not a lazy re-release with cheap accessories no one cares about, they're generic, gimmicky, and silly (although I'll still take that over a rerelease any day). A Christmas pony that's red, white, and green? What a surprise... A "winter" one with snowflakes? Better, I guess, although still a little boring, and why does that need to be a "special" release anyway? Spring/Easter with flowers, butterflies, and pastel colors? That's, what, 90% of the G3 and G4 lines already?

Still, though, it does seem odd the Hasbro doesn't seem to think that a unique pony would sell better than one that's previously been released 20 times already. I don't get companies' decisions sometimes... Just give us new ponies, Holiday themed or not, and I'd be happier with the toys.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:08:00 AM by Elisto »

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 07:14:22 AM »
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a whole herd of holiday ponies: Halloween, Christmas, Valentines, St Patrick's (original Minty, anypony?), Easter, etc.  It would be cool if Hasbro did g4 versions of past holiday ponies, like some of the g1 Christmas ponies and the g3 Halloween and Valentine's ponies. 

I know very well it won't happen.  We'll probably just get repacks of the same old mane six.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »
They could do them really well.  Even if it is red, green, and white you could vary the hair and body colors each year so they aren't all the same and make the themes really different: candles, candy, peppermints, santa, reindeer, christmas lights, bells, wreaths, advent wreaths, snowmen, snowflakes, iceskates, ivy, holly, poinsettias, carolers the list goes on and on.  Plus they could use silver, gold, and pink colors and tinsel in the hair.  Blue too!  They could really make the symbols special with the design and glitter or the bodies could be pearly or glittery or solid.  So much to choose from to make them different each year.

Unlike Holiday Barbie, who is nearly always a blonde in a big puffy dress and who's Holiday version starts to look alike every year, the Holiday pony could be made to stand out because the combinations can be so different. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 07:32:27 AM »
Oh, I agree, they *could* be more creative and fun, I just have lost faith in Hasbro actually doing that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal