collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ethics, Pony Flipping and ridiculously outrageous selling prices.... how?  (Read 3590 times)

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
All is fair in love and capitalism :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Wow, nothing like a topic about pony reselling to really stirrup the controversy!

I giggled. I love puns ^.^

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I guess I'm guilty of pony flipping. If I see a good deal and potential for resale, I'll get it. I keep the ones I want, clean and resell the others for a profit. It is the ONLY way I can fund my own collection. I also like to think I'm providing a service to other collectors.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Wow, nothing like a topic about pony reselling to really stirrup the controversy!

I giggled. I love puns ^.^
  :lol: That went right over my head! Good one Saply!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Cinnabar

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Buy low and sell high  :biggrin:

I dont see anything wrong with it personally. It will happen anytime an item is in demand.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Its one thing to resell from your own collection or buy to resell and sell them (or start auctions) at a fair, reasonable price (even if that price in higher than stores for items still available, as long as its fair for the item). That's totally fine, and I have no issues with it in any line of collecting. I've had to sell some sought after G4s for above retails to help get money to pay for food and such. I will happily buy items from people who resell in this fashion, and have nothing against them. I also prefer to buy my ponies already styled and nice, because I cannot style any sort of hair to save my life. So I'm happy to pay a little extra for a very beautiful pony. However I also mostly collect bait condition ponies, so I rarely get them already prettied up (which is another reason I'm willing to shell out a bit more).

What I personally do not like is when people buy things, at store cost or super great deals online or yard sales or whatever, then clean them up and try to charge more than what's fair for the item. Or don't even bother cleaning them up and still overcharge for them. I greatly dislike (or downright hate, depending on how much they overcharge and how much they do it) anyone who tries to take advantage of people by charging significantly more than an item is worth.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
An item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That's what drives value up or down. It's fair to price it as high as you like or as low as you like. It's fair to bid as low as you like or as high as you like.

To say that it isn't fair to price an item higher than what you believe is fair, it downright silly. If the item isn't worth $40 then no one will pay $40. The seller will relist it lower. But if it sells at $40, or even gets bid up to $70, then clearly the item is worth that much, and you are in the wrong.

And do let me state that when I use the word "you" I mean a collective you. You as in the bidder.

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
An item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That's what drives value up or down. It's fair to price it as high as you like or as low as you like. It's fair to bid as low as you like or as high as you like.

To say that it isn't fair to price an item higher than what you believe is fair, it downright silly. If the item isn't worth $40 then no one will pay $40. The seller will relist it lower. But if it sells at $40, or even gets bid up to $70, then clearly the item is worth that much, and you are in the wrong.

And do let me state that when I use the word "you" I mean a collective you. You as in the bidder.

Very well said!

Remind me of jewelry appraising.
Appraiser says, "I appraise your diamond ring at $1000."
Owner says "I want to sell my ring to you."
Appraiser says, "I will give you $500 for it."
Owner says, "But you just appraised it for $1000?!"
Appraiser says, "$1000 is what the ring costs for you to replace it. For me to sell it, I have to pay you $500 to still make a profit." >_<
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
I don't mean what I believe is fair, I mean what's fair based on price checks and research. A normal baity G1 Peachy does not fetch/PC for $40, for example, so such a price is not fair. Just because someone is willing to buy that $40 baity Peachy does not mean they paid a fair price or that suddenly all baity Peachy G1s are suddenly worth $40.

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
I have a few hundred ponies in my collection, and all but a handful have come from lots.  I've yet to buy a lot that didn't have at least one pony I need, but I've considered it, especially if the lot is a good price.  When I buy a lot, I know I'll be reselling many of them.  And I know I'll probably be making a profit.  Does that make me a bad person?  I don't really think so.  More like a smart collector or businesswoman.  I've spent a lot on my collection, so being able to buy a lot, then make enough back on it to profit is awesome.  I also buy $1 G3s at the swap meet and sell them for much more.  People pay me to find those ponies for them, clean them up, and send it to them.  Usually after fees it's not really all that much of a profit.  I've also bought off Taobao and resold them on ebay.  It's normal to want to sell to make a profit.

However, I usually price ponies in their general selling range.  I don't like when others overprice, so I don't do it.  I try to be fair.  But I'll still make sure I profit off of it at least a little, unless I really need the money.  I'm also not going to find a pony, like Mimic, for a dollar and not resell her for what she's really worth.

Also: You said a complete pp lot, so I'm assuming Red Roses was in it?  I price checked her, she's going for up to 80 right now.  The fact that not only one set, but TWO sold for around 70 in the last 2 months, must mean everyone was trying to get them for a good price, and shot themselves in the foot.  If anyone's mad a reseller got one of those lots, should've bid higher :/  I would have, I really want Red Roses, and would've shelled out more for her plus all her friends.  I just don't have the money right now lol.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:32:58 PM by Prismatic »

Offline prettypony55

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
If I find a cheap BIN on ebay for ponies, that I know are worth more and that I could put a little elbow grease in them to clean them I buy it. I will try to sell the pony for about the going rate. Somtimes I do pretty well and make a few extra bucks, once in awhile I loose a bit of money.

If a potential buyeer doesnt do there own research on how much somthing they want to buy is worth thats not my problem. I recently had a Peachy for sale at a garage sale, priced at 10$. I knew it was high, but that gives me room to have the buyer bring the price down. However in this particular instance they happily paid the 10$ I was asking. I certainly wasnt going to say wait.. dont pay me that much.. its only worth 2-3$. Hell no!!! I took their money and was damn happy about it

If I have an ebay auction up for again lets say a Peachy and it goes for 20$ or whatevr I will happily take there money. Its not my job to educate people who much stuff is worth. I know how much ponies (G1)  are generally worth. I put my effort and time to learn who is who, and how mcuh its worth.

Its like shopping for a car. If you dont know the value of the cars your looking at you'll get taken. The car dealers arent going to tell you, "hey lady, dont you know your over paying"? Nope, not a chance!!!

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I don't mean what I believe is fair, I mean what's fair based on price checks and research. A normal baity G1 Peachy does not fetch/PC for $40, for example, so such a price is not fair. Just because someone is willing to buy that $40 baity Peachy does not mean they paid a fair price or that suddenly all baity Peachy G1s are suddenly worth $40.

Right, but how is that the seller's fault? Isn't it the buyer's fault for spending $40 on a baity Peachy? I fail to see how it is unfair of the seller to list a pony at any price, because no one is being forced to pay that much. If a buyer can't do his or her homework, or doesn't have the patience to wait for a better deal, isn't that on the buyer? It's not like the seller is misrepresenting the item or its condition, so I don't understand how anyone is taken advantage of.

Offline prettypony55

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
If I can egt any buyer to actually pay 40$ for a Peachy, I would take it all day long!!!! I would never mis-represent the pony. If people are willing to over pay, thats on them. I wouldn't feel bad taking there money at all. In fact I would be very happy and say thank you with a giant smile on my face.

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
I have no problem with resellers in general. Personally, most of the stuff I've sold on has been for cost/slightly under cost. But I don't usually have a problem with people charging a higher price for items, particularly when said item is no longer produced. In most cases, I'd have no way of getting that particular item on my own, without having resellers all over.

I do have an issue with scalpers; people who buy up all of an available product and then overcharge for it. They've created a false demand, because no one can get the product. I find it especially shady, because they've bypassed the manufacturer (who typically have licensing fees) and they have the luxury of returning the stock to the store if it doesn't sell. I'm thinking particularly of "hot" toys, like MH and Lego, which are currently available on the shelves of most stores.

But when it comes to things like vintage ponies, Care Bears and other stuff not available anymore, and random items that aren't really hot (like those cheap puzzles and trinkets you find in most department stores), it's fair game. And I wholeheartedly agree with people who make their first bid their  highest bid. I find this the least frustrating way to get the stuff I want. No pin-pointing the exact minute, no constant refreshing, very little rage if you lose. I do admit to getting caught up in bidding wars on occasion, especially early on. But I learned early on that those typically led to me overspending in the heat of the moment lol!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Do I have any problems with other people flipping ponies-- no. Absolutely not. Especially if they go and clean everything up, that takes time and effort. ...

Can I do it? ... I've tried, but I can't ask top dollar. If I get a pony for $2, that is worth $10, I might sell it for $5. I suck that way, but I feel guilty making profit? I like to pass on good fortune. Although if I buy something, and decide to sell it later, I often ask the exact price I paid for it. Luckily my fiance doesn't have that problem-- he flips cameras really good... XD And it funds our dinner date nights (and supports our dates, because our dates end up being thrift store hunting and flea markets-- for pony and camera finds). But he has so much fun doing it, and plays with each camera, keeps them for awhile..... but we can't keep them all, so he resells.

So I hope the person flipping enjoys ponies. I hope they enjoy taking the time to fix them up, and keeping them for a short time. (I know I do). And if not, that's sad (to me only)... but to each their own.

Oh, and I like to keep saying this... but an item is worth what a buyer wants to pay -- not what the seller asks. If a buyer is willing to pay $100 for a Mimic with a foot chewed off, marker stains, and a buzz cut-- then that was what the item was worth to the buyer. A seller can't force a sale on someone.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal