collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ethics, Pony Flipping and ridiculously outrageous selling prices.... how?  (Read 3587 times)

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is a rant... probably more of jealously issue in all honesty.

What are your thoughts on pony flippers?
Are there sellers that you personally abandon?

I suppose we are all guilty of buying ponies in lots and selling our extras.

My biggest rant is Ponies & Petals, while I must admit she has a way of beautifying ponies... is she a flipper or a collector?

Nearly all her feedback as a buyer is from the Delaneys.

Ponies & Petals won the FULL set of perfume puffs for $63 from the Delaneys and sold them individually for nearly $40 each. Why do the ponies that ponies & petals list sell for so high and I can barely sell mine for the starting bid?

Sorry if this is out of place for me to rant in public like this, but I really want to know if Ponies & Petals is a reseller- or a serious collector.

This is the list from one of the auctions:
I sell My Little Ponies 6 days of the week, some are still from my personal collection of what I have left.  If you don't see what you want, please email me and I may have the pony you need.

No wonder it is called EVILbay!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Honestly I have a problem with this too but its something I am familiar with in the doll collecting world on ebay as well.  Its a shame because those of us that would like to have bought those auctions for our own collections never got the chance due to the fact that people are only buying to resell apparently.  Its a sad fact about ebay, its how people make money and they know what will sell and they can ask higher prices.  I think they ask higher prices because as long as someone is willing to pay that, it sets the standard for pony prices.  Until all of us refuse to spend ridiculous amounts on ponies only worth 7.00, I am afraid this will probably continue.  I hate it too.  I don't buy to resell. I do buy to gift and to add to my collection only.  Competing with sellers only on ebay is tough.  I am familiar with both of the sellers and I think the way the ponies look is really important to a sale.  I personally don't get why one person's pony sells low and that same pony sold by someone else may sell higher...it only has to be that people are buying these as gifts or they are a "must have" pony and there is no  limit on what they will spend to grab it. I have been guilty of the no limit over spending on a pony before.  I know when it comes to pony auctions, I tend to go for auctions where the pony is clearly pictured in all positions, the description is very detailed. .  Even doing this I still get ponies that have issues that were not mentioned more often than not.  So I guess even my method isn't fool proof when it comes to getting quality. I don't know who you are on ebay but I am sorry that this has cut into your profits.  :huh:  I think this person is a collector, but has learned what sells and is now a flipper for the money they can make.  Can't say I blame them really.  Money is something we all need.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:39:10 PM by tulagirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
I think they ask higher prices because as long as someone is willing to pay that, it sets the standard for pony prices.  Until all of us refuse to spend ridiculous amounts on ponies only worth 7.00, I am afraid this will probably continue. 

Welp, I am a proud member of the "I am not paying your stupid high inflated prices just because you have a nice picture" club. We are recruiting members!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I think they ask higher prices because as long as someone is willing to pay that, it sets the standard for pony prices.  Until all of us refuse to spend ridiculous amounts on ponies only worth 7.00, I am afraid this will probably continue. 

Welp, I am a proud member of the "I am not paying your stupid high inflated prices just because you have a nice picture" club. We are recruiting members!

ROFLOL sounds like a wonderful organization LOL.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
Add me to the group of people who are baffled by this. There was a huge lot a while back purchased by a buyer who just turned around and listed them individually on ebay all cleaned up and at their going price as starting bid. Not naming names, but it seems like a competition to me to see who can get a grubby lot to clean up and make a profit first which is why I believe the prices are so sky high for other collectors! I know some are just trying to make a profit on ebay and get wider range of buyers. Of course, there is nothing wrong with a reseller who starts  them out at a reasonable price, but it just stinks for those like me who are looking for a good deal on a lot with hard to find ponies in it just to see a reseller snatch it up and relist them individually for a mint! There are a couple of resellers I will buy accessories from that would be otherwise hard to find. As for ponies, I like cleaning them myself to my liking and avoid any that are sold individually with hair already styled as it would be silly to me personally to buy a pony to just look at when I can bring it back to glory myself. That is just me as I'm sure there are others who could care less and just want a pony that they don't have to be bothered to groom. Everyone is different when it comes to pony preferences.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:02:31 PM by plushroo »

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
I often bid on bigger lots because it will have a few ponies I want in it and then I usually clean up and resell duplicates of the common ones for lower prices on the Arena or trade with people for my duplicates... I've only done it a few times, but those lots had a couple of ponies I was really after, and then a bunch I already had... and it was cheaper to do that than to buy them individually >_<

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I don't mind when collector take what they need/ upgrade and then re-sell those they can't use, but some sellers are just in it for the $$$$.

I got tired of no one wanting my ponies here on the arena, that I resorted to e-Bay, but after selling about 80 items I found I now owe e-Bay $90, Paypal took probably about $100 and then shipping another $200... makes my $800 worth of sales this month a profit of under $500 (probably much less than I spent on acquiring the ponies...)

I have too many extras, and can't make a profit on evil bay- how do you suggest getting rid of these all?

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
I don't mind when collector take what they need/ upgrade and then re-sell those they can't use, but some sellers are just in it for the $$$$.

I do this. For instance I currently have a half dozen doubles due to a lot I bought this week, however they were cheap, close to me (I picked them up rather than paying shipping) and I didn't have more than half of the ponies in the lot, or they were upgrades. I don't plan on making a profit from them though, I'll probably just trade them and or sell/gift them to others here or on the TP.

If they don't go, I keep them. Eventually someone will want them, there are new collectors coming along all the time. In fact I bought a lot of baity ponies when I first came here, just to have the ones I didn't have - in fact I still do. If I want something enough, I'll take it in any condition. Ebay costs way too much, I'll always be a buyer I think over there!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
I have considered doing the whole resale thing but a general lack of pricing knowledge keeps me from doing so. I don't really collect, so perhaps I don't quite grok your frustrations but I can sympathize.

People have to eat and pay bills. If one can work from home by selling on eBay then that's great. I don't begrudge anyone who can make it work. We would all love to go shopping and find everything on our list discounted, but in reality it doesn't work that way. You want a bargain and the seller wants a profit.

People who sell something are not doing it to be kind.  They don't set a low price so they can give you something cheap because they like you. They set a price they hope to get and profit off of most. They hope to sell enough to pay bills and buy food. Otherwise they may as well just save their time and donate the ponies.

I can understand the frustration, as I said, but I do feel that it is unfair to harbor it when it's just a fact of life.

Offline lovebeam

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I'm a pony flipper. If I see a good deal I will snap it up. Clean them up and sell what I don't want for my collection. Been doing this since 1997. I get a lot of enjoyment in cleaning ponies and even though I do it for more money, it goes to bills and expenses so i feel justified. 
2,2 2 names in one! Lovebeam @ Cobralily

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
If the idea of someone making a profit upsets you then you're the one with the problem. Every single collection community has flippers and flippers are the reason why so many collectors are able to get certain prized possessions.

MLP is not exempt just because it's a childen's toy. I don't even know why this thread exists as it seems to be full of bashful comments towards people who do nothing wrong.

It's not called Evilbay because of those reasons. Get a grip.

Oh and one more thing. A collectors community (Vintage Radios, My Little Pony, etc) are NOT just collectors. The community consists of collectors, buyers, sellers, wholesalers, etc. This isn't charity or some Mason group that has an unspoken rule to collect ponies from the dumpster, fix them up and sell them for low low prices for the fellow collector.

Rosse

• Trade Count: (0)
I'm a pony flipper. If I see a good deal I will snap it up. Clean them up and sell what I don't want for my collection. Been doing this since 1997. I get a lot of enjoyment in cleaning ponies and even though I do it for more money, it goes to bills and expenses so i feel justified. 

This is what I used to do back when I collected as well. It funded most of my collection actually, as I was young and didn't have much of an income. Also, selling some European exclusives internationally, and US exclusives over here, I like to think that I helped some people out as well. You don't have to be the devil just because you like making some extra cash while enjoying your hobby ;)

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile

This is what I used to do back when I collected as well. It funded most of my collection actually, as I was young and didn't have much of an income. Also, selling some European exclusives internationally, and US exclusives over here, I like to think that I helped some people out as well. You don't have to be the devil just because you like making some extra cash while enjoying your hobby ;)

Exactly. It just boils down to, "Awww, I wanted that lot of ponies but they won it for a steal!".

What I find extremely funny, is that we just had a thread where a seller was ticked off that a buyer randomly messaged her on Ebay saying that her pony was overpriced. The thread created a storm of people saying how that buyer was mean and rude and yadda yadda.

People were even talking about blocking her!

So it's rude to message a seller and tell her that her prices are sky high but it's ok to make a thread complaining about a particular Ebayer because her prices are higher than usual? Oh I guess it's ok cause she's a reseller.

Oh damn those pretty pictures, overpriced auctions and the jerks that make them.

Quite frankly, I see some of those pictures and they are a work of art. I haven't sold any of my ponies for a while but even when I did, I was never very good at cleaning them and never tried to style hair. They are a contribution to the community and not to be demonized.

If you want your ponies dirty and like to clean them that's fine too. But saying that it bothers you that someone is making a profit doing something they enjoy is just hateful. I'm sorry but it is.

Here is some great advice, if you like a pony and want to buy it then buy it. If you don't then don't. But don't base your choice on whether or not someone is making a profit. That's just silly.

Also you realize that when you go to Walmart they buy in bulk and sell you items one by one right? To do this "Evil" thing called making a profit. THIS IS LIFE.

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Just a side note here, that buyer was extremely rude in the message that she sent to the seller, and that was why it got everyone riled up, not that she actually told the seller that the pony was overpriced ;) The buyer even admitted that they did things specifically to get a rise out of people. If their message had simply been 'Hi! I just wanted to let you know that this pony only really sells for $X in most cases' I don't think there would have been a thread about it at all.

As for the pony flipping, I'm with Rosse on this one. Collecting isn't cheap, at all! There are times when I do pick up ponies to clean and resell them. I try to get PCs for them and sell them for their going rate however, as even though I do want to make money on them, I also don't want to rip off any buyers.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
I am sure this thread is going to give you lots of mixed emotions on the subject.

I understand you are discouraged by ebay.  But the seller you are speaking of has done nothing wrong to anyone. Nor has any other seller you are speaking of.  She oviously has a following and there is nothing wrong with that.  It shows me that she must have great customer service and people are happy.

Do I buy and resell? Yes, but I also collect although I do not see any harm in someone who doesn't.  It's business and it is what makes the world go round.  My inlaws owned a store for 25 years and if they sold milk and eggs everyday at cost because they felt bad about charging someone to make a profit, well they wouldn't have been in business very long.

It takes time, money and patience to sell on ebay.  And I might also add taxes at the end of the year.  I work 13-14 hour days plus weekends sometimes because there is no open or closed sign on my door.  I deal with people 24 hours a day.   So although I sell , I can assure you I am not getting rich and I am sure all the other ebay sellers out there are not either.  It pays a few of my bills and adds more ponies that I want to my collection.

Again I am sorry you are discouraged by ebay and the arena.  But do not let the green eyed monster get the best of you.  ;)

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal