collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Actually those Monster High Dolls are kind of cool..."  (Read 1463 times)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
"Actually those Monster High Dolls are kind of cool..."
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:36:54 PM »
.................... MY mom said that. MY mom! I couldn't believe it. She actually approves of me collecting them! And she helped me pick out a Bratzilla! I was so happy considering if you knew my mom.. she HATES me toy collecting. She likes my Ponies too! She said they're cute!

Just had to share that... lol  :blush:

[moving to Dollhouse]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 07:02:13 AM by kaoskat »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: "Actually those Monster High Dolls are kind of cool..."
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 06:17:14 AM »
Hehehe...my baby cousin collects MH as well, and it's pretty funny in their household.  My aunt is all into the old Victorian style baby dolls and Peter Rabbit stuff.  She's always wanted my cousin to be a little princess, and instead she's asking for vampires and werewolves! :-D  (My aunt has admitted that she likes Rochelle, though!)

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 06:38:46 AM »
Your mom sounds really cool. Mine is understanding, but...not that understanding. ^^; She says it is better than other things girls in their 20s do for fun...unfortunately, she makes fun of me a little bit for it in that same vein. :/ After the pony fair, we went up to our room (me and my sister are both heavily into ponies, but I'm 25 almost and sis is 17, so big age gap) and started cleaning some of the ponies up. My mom takes one look at the bags of ponies and says "aw, my wittle baby girls are playing with their itty bitty ponies~" but she said it in a way that was condescending, not playful.

Now, I'm customizing and she says she'll believe you make money off of painting ponies when she sees it. I find them works of art, but she just doesn't understand that. Now, with my monster high, she thinks Operetta is cool, but says I need to stop collecting dolls. (I have almost 100 barbies mib, assassin's creed figures lining my closet, and star wars dolls mint/mib in a safe....and she's telling me this NOW?) Parents are odd things sometimes. It's really awesome when they actually understand and help, even if they aren't over enthusiastic about the collection.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:13:05 AM »
I was just as surprised when my husband said something similar. He said "I like those dolls. I understand why you like those, this suits you more than the ponies thing..." And he's even given me his credit card to buy MH dolls.... I guess to deter me from buying more ponies?

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:14:44 AM »
My mum hates me collecting. I'm 17, and can't find a job- so any money I spend is pocketmoney I've saved, but mum disapproves since I need to save for a car and all the charming extras (insurance :huh) and uni... £9,000 a year :(

But one time, my mum said a few of my dolls were really pretty, and she was actually quite nice :)

So, I know the feeling, it really makes your day doesn't it? :) And congrats on having an understanding mum, wish my mum would be a little more understanding :)
xxx

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
I get the teasing too! But it's so nice for them to actually say that they are kind of cool. My sister even saw a doll she likes.. It's just really a nice feeling to not feel like the big weirdo in the family lol. Only thing is, my mom claims I go overboard with my toy collecting lol. I just CAN NOT help it!!!

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
I'm sorry you get teased by your mother:(  I'd like to say it gets better, and maybe for some it does, but not for me.  Now I get it from my husband.  Well, he doesn't tease me, but he doesn't want to hear a thing I have to say about these dolls.  I get so excited about the latest releases (look Honey, she has a floppy ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and sometimes he won't even LOOK.  Just humor me alittle!  I've started "customizing" slightly.  Hair cuts, re-roots, clothes making.  I thought he'd take a bit of an interest in this because it's more about art, and less about toys.  He could admire my talent, and look past the doll, but NOPE.  I really hope you find people out there (or in here :lol:) who can share your love, instead of make you feel badly about it.
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »
I'm sorry you get teased by your mother:(  I'd like to say it gets better, and maybe for some it does, but not for me.  Now I get it from my husband.  Well, he doesn't tease me, but he doesn't want to hear a thing I have to say about these dolls.  I get so excited about the latest releases (look Honey, she has a floppy ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and sometimes he won't even LOOK.  Just humor me alittle!  I've started "customizing" slightly.  Hair cuts, re-roots, clothes making.  I thought he'd take a bit of an interest in this because it's more about art, and less about toys.  He could admire my talent, and look past the doll, but NOPE.  I really hope you find people out there (or in here :lol:) who can share your love, instead of make you feel badly about it.

Aww I can't even begin to imagine how much that would hurt coming from a spouse/boyfriend. This is why I'm glad I'm single right now. Finding a guy to understand my toy obsessions is going to be really tough! I wouldn't be able to handle it if I found a guy and it turned out that my toy love would be a deal breaker for us! Sorry your husband doesn't understand! :(

Offline justkitter

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 04:12:34 PM »
Thanks, karrie:)

When I feel especially needy for someone who "gets it," I just come here.  Everyone is so awesome.  Almost makes me think I don't need someone IRL who understands *shrug*  Don't let your mother (or anyone else, for that matter) get you down.   :hug:
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »
Thanks, karrie:)

When I feel especially needy for someone who "gets it," I just come here.  Everyone is so awesome.  Almost makes me think I don't need someone IRL who understands *shrug*  Don't let your mother (or anyone else, for that matter) get you down.   :hug:

:hug: :hug: I know the feeling! I'm no longer ashamed to spam my facebook with my obsession for toys lol thanks to the lovely guys and gals here! :D

Offline justkitter

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 07:45:57 PM »
Karrie:

Thought I'd share this little bit of stupid randomness......you share a birthday with my mother, and a name with my sister:) 

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
This is exactly mh themed, but anywho..

Before dinner, I was looking at pictures of Pullips on my moms iPad, and my dad looked over my shoulder as I looked at Requiem's custom dals. He said, "Are those those... Dolls yeh like?" Translation: "That's a pullip!" (My dad is very unspecific and bad at describing things... "Can ya' hand me that uhh, deal?" = "Scrunchie please." ) This is huge! My dad doesn't even know what shoes I wear, and converse have been the only shoes I've worn for the past 4 years! He even offered to buy one for me in a few weeks! And as I looked through the pics, he kept looking over my shoulder and seemed pretty interested :)

I just love it when parents actually show some sort of interest in your collections :D
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline Mintymints

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Sock collector extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »
My mommy always teases me when I ask her for money to buy ponies, then I wanted some monster highs x.x

So I got my daddy (they live separately) to buy me Abbey and I've been at my dad's house since... (I have Cupid, Lagoona and Abbey) and my birthday's in 8 days, so I asked mom for some from my dad's house and I got a "I'll keep an eye out for them"
She gets back from the store and texts me, when you come back bring you Monster High dolls so I can play with them  :shocked: :blink:
She has NEVER appreciated my collecting, just put up with it and helped me out (ALOT)
I'm rather scared as well...  :lol:

By Sunnyrain~Avvie by Starsteppony on DA

Offline justkitter

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »
Awwwwww.....

I love to hear stories like these ^^^^

When I was growing up, and had to BEG for everything.  No one wanted to listen to me ramble on about my interests.  Maybe that's why I'm a completionist now.  I rarely got what I wanted, so now I have it all.  My mother didn't believe in Christmas lists, so I usually got random stuff.  I loved it all though.  When you aren't spoiled everyday with things you want, you really appreciate the things you wound up receiving.

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 02:06:27 AM »
Karrie:

Thought I'd share this little bit of stupid randomness......you share a birthday with my mother, and a name with my sister:)

Hehe that's kinda funny!!!

I'm glad to hear everyones stories. It does mean a lot when your family takes interest in something you do. I've always been the least liked child out of the three. I know that sounds sad but it's true. My sister was the good one, my brother was.. well.. a boy! and I was the last born who didn't grow up normally lol. The only time my mom ever really got into anything was when I was OBSESSED with Care Bears. I still have all the ones she bought me too! So I just get a warm feeling whenever they take interest in my stuff. She went with my sister today and my sister bought me a Winx Doll <3 And some batteries for my singing Rapunzel doll. I'm hoping that my mom buys me at least ONE doll for my birthday because it would mean the world to me. She'd instantly become my favorite lol. If not, I'm crossing my fingers for Christmas.

But seriously, what parent of a daughter turning 21 wouldn't want to buy a toy rather than say.. a shirt or hand them money for their birthday? Toys are much more adorable and fun!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal