collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to respond to neutral feedback (update on 07/30)  (Read 1167 times)

Offline windsong

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
How to respond to neutral feedback (update on 07/30)
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:50:14 PM »
I logged on to my Etsy account and they notified me I had some items that were awaiting feedback. So, I pulled up the feedback that was left for me from buyers to see who I needed to leave feedback for. I was shocked to see I had a neutral feedback. Yeah, I'm sure you're thinking, "So? It's just a neutral. At least it wasn't negative." That's true but, I've NEVER received any negative or neutral feedbacks... anywhere... So... it shocked me. Here's what it said:

"item arrived with postage due because of not being in the right sized envelope."

Now, honestly, this happened to me as a buyer once. I told the seller and they generously offered to give me a small refund on shipping. I told them it was no big deal, it was only like 25 cents or something like that. I just wanted to let them know for future reference in case they send something like that out again, you know?

Why couldn't this buyer do the same for me? I would have GLADLY done whatever I could to make things right. At least, now I know that I need to put these items (scrapbook punches) in bubble mailers rather than regular envelopes. I sent several other scrapbook punches before theirs just fine in regular envelopes (positive feedback and all from other buyers). I hope any others sent recently make it to their destination with no problems on postage. Live and learn, right?  :sigh:

Anyhow... since I've never had anyone leave me neutral/negative feedback... how do I respond? I started to write an apology note to them, and kept rewriting it like three times, then I thought I'd come on here and ask you guys what you thought I should do. I don't want to leave them neutral feedback in return due to not contacting me about a problem. That would just be unprofessional. Should I even bother contacting them at all? Should I just ignore it entirely and move on? If I would contact them, what should I say? I almost want to make it clear to them that I would have gladly refunded the money had they contacted me prior to leaving feedback, but would that just be instigating trouble?

Looking at feedback they left for others, I'm not the only person they did this to. Maybe they just don't know how to be a respectful buyer. So, contacting them may prove useless because they don't care, or maybe it will help them understand that if a problem arises, they should contact the seller first. I don't know. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:48:13 AM by windsong »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~ My Etsy Shop ~ Arena Sales ~ Wants ~ My Book Blog ~ TY Badjuju86 4 avatar  :heart:

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
Re: How to respond to neutral feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:33:50 PM »
*hugs*  :hug:  Having a neutral might not be as bad as a neg, but its still a shock - especially when they buyer did not contact you first :(  . Your buyer should have sent you a message letting you know what happened and given you a chance to make things right, before leaving that neutral.  Some buyers dont have any idea of how to handle this kind of situation though. 
What I would do is send the buyer a polite message -something like:
"Hi, I was checking my feedback today and I noticed that you left a neutral. I had no idea that you would have to pay extra postage on the parcel due to the size of the envelope , and I offer you my sincerest apologies.   I would like you to be happy with our transaction, so  If you let me know how much extra you were charged I can send you a refund for that amount.  Again I am sorry for what happened.  Kind regards and best wishes.. "

If the buyer responds and is happy to work thing out with you, they may change their feedback to a positive ;)   If the buyer does not answer you, then leave a response saying something along the lines of
 " buyer left a neutral feedback without contacting me to work things out first after she/he was charged extra on postage by the PO .  I would happily have refunded the postage difference had they let me know about it"

Hope that helps a bit.  Let us know how things go with your buyer :hug: 

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
You can do a feedback "kiss and make-up" on etsy :) If you contact the buyer like Ringlets says and are able to sort out the problem to everyone's satisfaction, then you can request a KAMU with them to change the feedback to positive. (I haven't had to do this myself yet *crosses fingers*, I only know it's possible from reading the etsy forums, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out how to initiate it, I hope!  ^.^)

I'm sorry this happened to you, it is something I worry about happening as an etsy seller too. Shipping woes just seem to happen no matter how hard we try! I hope you can work it out and resolve everything positively :hug:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 10:51:59 PM »
Well other than what others  have said about trying to get it changed and contacting buyer, to respond to the neutral I would say:

"No problem was reported to me. Buyer regularly leaves neutrals/negs. Would have immediately fixed problem if aware."

Or something to that effect.

Offline windsong

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 03:50:05 AM »
Thanks everyone! :D

Ringlets: I like the way you worded the message and feedback... Should I make it neutral if they won't respond and change feedback?

Zombelina: I didn't even know that until later on last night. I went back and checked out the completed feedback tab and noticed the little link it offered for the "kiss and make up" lol.

RockinPrettyBeats: I would definitely consider mentioning those things in a feedback if the buyer isn't willing to work it out.

Thanks again! I will return once I send a message to the buyer and either hear back or leave feedback. :)

~ My Etsy Shop ~ Arena Sales ~ Wants ~ My Book Blog ~ TY Badjuju86 4 avatar  :heart:

Offline windsong

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: How to respond to neutral feedback (update on 07/30)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 06:49:36 AM »
Okay, giving this a bump from page 2 with an update.

I sent the message to the buyer (on July 15th) and have not heard back. Do you think sufficient time has passed for me to write feedback? Also, should I make it a neutral or negative? I'm leaning toward neutral (even though it does nothing to the feedback percentage) to make it even.

Please let me know! Thanks! :)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
I'm sorry to hear they didnt respond to you :(  I would go ahead and leave a neutral feedback for them - you have given them enough  time to respond. I dont think they deserve a neg because they did pay you, but they do deserve a neutral since they didnt try and sort out any issues before leaving that feedback and they didnt respond to your message/attempts to work things out either 

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline windsong

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 03:08:38 PM »
Thanks! I left her a neutral. It's a shame she couldn't take the time to send me a message. Hopefully for her it will be a lesson learned. It was for me!

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 07:10:02 PM »
Thanks! I left her a neutral. It's a shame she couldn't take the time to send me a message. Hopefully for her it will be a lesson learned. It was for me!

Ugh.  I know how you feel - I just looked on Etsy the other day and discovered I've got a neutral feedback as well.  I mailed out a pony about 2 months ago, and it was probably received about 2 weeks, maybe 3 if it was a delay.  Just 10 days ago, the buyer left me feedback saying that I mailed the pony without the head attached and I didn't notify her that this was how I was mailing it.   I know for certain that it left my house well-padded and intact in a very sturdy box, so my thought is that it made a rough trip through customs, but still, I'd think that most people would contact the seller immediately rather than assuming they'd rip a head off prior to mailing.

Offline windsong

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:04:56 AM »
Ugh.  I know how you feel - I just looked on Etsy the other day and discovered I've got a neutral feedback as well.  I mailed out a pony about 2 months ago, and it was probably received about 2 weeks, maybe 3 if it was a delay.  Just 10 days ago, the buyer left me feedback saying that I mailed the pony without the head attached and I didn't notify her that this was how I was mailing it.   I know for certain that it left my house well-padded and intact in a very sturdy box, so my thought is that it made a rough trip through customs, but still, I'd think that most people would contact the seller immediately rather than assuming they'd rip a head off prior to mailing.

That's exactly what my buyer did, wait a few weeks after it arrived before leaving bad feedback. Almost like they were debating on whether they should do something. Some people... lol. I'm just thankful it was only a neutral.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal