collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Please help! I've tried (nearly) everything to help my pony's hair!  (Read 1459 times)

ThatFameMonster

• Trade Count: (0)
Heya,
Ive posted here before on what to-do with my rainbow flash's hair and it seems nothing has worked!
She has gone through everything! Many washes, many dipped into boiled water from the kettle and I stopped when i tried the boiling water on the stove because my gran accidentally melted a tiny bit of her hair, which resulted in me being angry at her for the whole day. I've even tried l'oreal detangle spray, which kinda calmed it. But from when I started trying to help it until now Ive noticed a big change .
I haven't yet tried the hair straightener method.. I'm too scared!
Any advice on what to do and what not to do would be good thanks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StarZetRaven

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Your average G2 collector
    • View Profile
I was too scared of the straightener method, but it works wonders. I'm a very careful person, but I recently tried it and it works better than anything else I've tried. I'm still slightly scared and very careful about it, though :P
Something else that helps frizz a little is combing the conditioned hair carefully with a very tight-toothed comb (Those you use against fleas are good) while pressing the hair down on a flat surface.
ladywaterfall.tumblr.com

ThatFameMonster

I heard you have to separate the hair into small sections, how small? :P

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
Make sure the hair is fully wet, and smothered in conditioner.

I usually half the mane and tail, have the straightner on a low heat setting, and run it smoothly through the section (don't let it sit on the hair).

It's always good to practice on a bait pony's hair (it took me a few goes to get the hang of it).

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
BFB's process is perfect!

My only note would be that sometimes the hair is simply too damaged to recover it 100% of the way but working through BFB's  straightening process should get it as good as its going to be.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline butterflybuttons

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
Yes definately Cat, sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, the hair stays frizzy. But it's always good to try everything you can first.

ThatFameMonster

Thanks guys! I thought it meant small sections like a couple plugs :P

edit: looks like my sister didnt bring home her straighteners.. I think I'll just buy some second hand ones just for ponies :P
Im looking on ebay at a babyliss mini one and wondering if this has a low heat setting, i'll throw the picture in as I dont use hair straighteners for my hair is already straight xD Not the exact picture but looks practically the same..
edit: okay don't worry about that xD
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:43:40 AM by ThatFameMonster »

Offline butterflybuttons

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
I'm pretty sure those baybliss ones aren't very strong to begin with.

The one I use is set at 210 Celsius, so you should be very safe with the mini.

Offline BlueyBirdy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Bird horse!
    • View Profile
I've used hair straighteners on rare G1s (very carefully with lots of conditioner, I must add!) and their hair came out beautifully straight and soft. I really should have taken "before and after" pictures.

As well as using a smooth, single motion with the straighteners you should also move fairly quickly (but not with a jolt - go in one flowing, continuous motion). Basically the straighteners should be touching the hair for as little time as possible. :good:
Formerly known as BluePhoenix

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Do not be afraid to use the straightener, it's your best friend for taming frizz! If you need someone to help you and talk you through it let me know, I'd be more than happy to!! <3

BeverlysLittlePony2012

Re: Please help! I've tried (nearly) everything to help my pony's hair!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 06:28:37 AM »
I wanted to give a heads up that I used a Chi straightner and it burned and melted my poor Fluttershy's hair. I think I had it way too hot and it isn't adjustable.

I used to use one that had a dial and it never burned the hair. It was amazing. I was so sad about the Chi!

Be careful and use a very low setting and it should be fine. No really hot Chis though!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:30:12 AM by BeverlysLittlePony2012 »

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
I would try what they've suggested on how to get her hair straighter.  But in case for some reason it gets worse you can do this to your pony (see picture).  You can make a perfume puff type Rainbow Dash.  Mine had super bad hair when I got her.  It looked like cotton candy on the ends (it was severe) so I just helped it along and created her poof.

I hope you can get yours to style the way you want it to.

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

ThatFameMonster

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 09:48:11 AM »
@BeverlysLittlePony2012 Thanks for the advice on straightener brands xD
Thanks for the other tips guys, now I'm looking at a vidal sassoon one which has adjustable settings.

@kissthethunder+@BluePhoenix Should I leave the conditioner to set in the hair for like an hour or so or just get stuck into it?

@FairyDust whoa! I thought my Rainbow Flash's hair was bad before I started treating it!

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 09:55:17 AM »
Thanks for asking this! I have a few Super Long Hair Ponies that desperately need hair-taming.

Good luck with fixing up your pony's hair!

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
@BeverlysLittlePony2012 Thanks for the advice on straightener brands xD
Thanks for the other tips guys, now I'm looking at a vidal sassoon one which has adjustable settings.

@kissthethunder+@BluePhoenix Should I leave the conditioner to set in the hair for like an hour or so or just get stuck into it?

@FairyDust whoa! I thought my Rainbow Flash's hair was bad before I started treating it!

I wet the hair, massage in conditioner, and leave it in. I section the hair off, three-5 hair plugs at a time, and start at the ends, and pull upward. If you hear a sizzle, thats actually okay. Its the water evaporating off the hair, steaming and straightening it. Use small sections at a time and you should do fine. I can't recall ever actually melting pony hair (except once when I let the iron alone too long, it got way hotter than it would being used)

EDIT

Oh, and I rinse it briefly with tap water and shape it to dry. just so you know ^^ I use the hair condition you get from hair dye boxes <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal