collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The concept of your collection?  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The concept of your collection?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »
I wouldnt say theres really a theme to my collection.. I see a pony that i fall for.. i buy it.
i have some g4's ..lots of g1's and a bunch of g2 earth ponies that got all in one go.
the truth is.
i started collecting them again because i love them. they are like my dolls and my transformers.
something that appeals to me for various reasons.. i love them for thier beauty.. i love them because its a reminder of a time when i was a lot more innocent than i am today.
I love them because, and i KNOW how dorky this sounds, because on some level i know that they love me to. yes I AM anthromorphasizing my toys.. projecting my emotions onto them.
but i think that everything thats created over time has energy... and if it spends enough time around you it picks up yours and becomes what you see it as.
so.. if i had to pick a theme.. itd be lil multicolored plastic horsies that i love!
thats what i collect.
hehe
cheers folks
see you after dinner!

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »
My collection doesn't really have a theme except maybe to represent My Little Pony through the ages/generations. I have at least one pony from every generation and within that I buy to expand the types of ponies I have (except G2, only managed to get a single G2 and I don't want more because she's the only I seem to like)... after that it's just anything cute that catches my eye that I can get at a fair price! lol

I don't complete sets. The only sets I've got complete are are few G3 because they're easier to hunt down.
I've also got a pretty large lot of fakies which includes over 50 Lanards because my childhood pony was a Lanard and I just love the designs. I never had a real My Little Pony as a kid and hated the idea of them until G4 got me into it, then I just had to love them all! But I will never collect them all, waaaaay too many :P
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
*giggles*  A collection IS a theme!  :-p 

I collect the more "fantasy" types of ponies - wingers, merry go round, unicorns, pegasi.  And then I also have a soft spot for the Newborn Twins.  :)
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline RavenWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »
I don't really have a theme, (maybe quantity over quality? lol) I just collect whatever pony or MLP related item I happen to find. :) I very, very rarely seek out a specific pony to buy. The only two I can think of that I actively tracked down was Baby Applejack and the g1 10th anniversary pony. So yeah maybe eclectic would be a good theme for my collection. ;)

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »
PONIES PONIES AND MORE PONIES! :crazed:

lol That's my theme.  XD  Though I do get my favorites first.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

APPLBL00M

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »
The theme of my collection is G4. That's it. As long as it's G4, I collect it. Brushables, McDonald's toys, blind bags (Ponyvilles), plushies, pillows, towels, calendars, everything, even custom merch. Lately I've been going for rare or valuable stuff like the con exclusive Ditzy Doo.

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
Also, there is no pony that isn't special
Well said my dear!  For me, my collection is 99% wingers.  I still love and appreciate all the other ponies, but I'll let the other collectors give them homes. 

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
I really dont get a "theme" I just collect what I love and that is G1s. I also just go for whatever pony interests me at the moment. I also tend to just love ponies for being ponies. I do have a few in my herd that have cancer ect. I know G1s are getting harder to find. I have been fortunate in finding them. I also just collect whatever gen I am interested in.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »
I suppose you could say by definition collections have a theme, but I see no reason it should be any more specific than "My Little Pony", or even more broadly, "toy horses" or "vintage toys". My "theme" I guess you could say is "ponies and accessories that I can afford," which kind of excludes any rare or "valuable" ones (unless I get really lucky one day, and if I did, I'd probably just sell it and buy more cheaper ponies with the money anyway).

No offense to your friend, but that's a little rude. People collect what they like, whether it's rare and expensive or not. I mean, I also collect insects, but there's certainly very little monetary value to that. But that's not the point of collecting to me personally.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »
Well, I wouldn't really say there's a theme to my collection either. However, there are two rules:
1. All MLP items must be official Hasbro or official Hasbro licensed. Homemade/fanmade stuff, customs and fakies/knockoffs/unlicensed ripoffs not admit-able, sorry.
2. No villains! (Except perhaps Nightmare Moon, because she's atoned and changed back to Luna).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:41:34 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »
It's simple. Your collection consists of items you want to collect. It has meaning for you and that's what matters. Granted, some of my ponies lean toward either being warm colored or having sun in its name or symbol. But not all of them do. :)
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

angela22

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:19 PM »
Yeah, I second, third and fourth the idea that each person's treasures are treasures to them! That's the whole point of collecting - it's a personal expression!  :mad:  :biggrin:

So, my "theme" is to buy everything I like!! I am a total completist (as I heard that word float around) - I have to have everything, and love to check off pretty organized little checklists and MS Excel documents (yes, I am a total dork). But, that's because that's my personality in everything! I'm the organizer pony who loves to categorize and then re-categorize! (Which pony was like that?)

But, there are certain ponies that I just have not even put on my checklists - BBE ponies for example. Or Flutters. Or Sweetheart Sister pose ponies. I just like all the chunky little adults and the cute babies with normal eyes! :D And I want... ALL...of them!  ;)

Collect whatever you like - be your own person - and I must say, that anyone who criticizes another "pony's" personality is not imitating the spirit of MLP characters that well! No pony on any of the shows would have done that to another pony. I mean, isn't their acceptance and love for each other the whole reason why we love the whole world of MLP in the first place - an alternate reality where people are sweet and simple and non-judgmental?

Whew. OK, rant over.  :cool:

FainneRoisin

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
My collection started out being just the ones that I liked, and it's mostly that now, but I'm focusing on trying to finish a few sets.  I don't feel like I have to have any particular pony just because it's rare or expensive.  *shrug*  I like what I like. 

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 10:38:44 PM »
I just collect what I love :) You don't really have to have a theme ^.^ Sometimes I'll try to collect sets, but that turns out to be expensive usually. Especially if there's a lot of ponies in the set! Just collect the ones you love, it doesn't matter if they're not rare :) If I was to somehow obtain a Nirvana at a yard sale (what are the odds of that happening? :P ) I would probably trade her for 50 commons since I'm not into Nirvanas. I would much rather have a bunch of what I love than one really rare one that I don't care for :) It's just hard on me when the ones I love are harder to find/sought after and expensive! :drunk:
My Wish List

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 10:45:52 PM »
i've been compared to a racoon at times.. i  like shiny things and thigns  that sparkle XD  aka pretty ponys and tinsel.

for me thre isnt really a theme.. i sut collect what i think is pretty. ususaly when i  complete a set or  almost compelete a set its usualy  on accident

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal