collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The concept of your collection?  (Read 3010 times)

Offline NorthernFlower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
The concept of your collection?
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
Sometimes I  don`t agree with my friend. She collect only rare european g1 ponies. And I collect all the generations of ponies,  even fakies.  She  hurts me when  she  say that available ones are  "stuff, nothing special"  :mad:
She says collection should have a theme. Well, all right. I think it is a theme of my collection: a fantastic  colored horse toys. To me, they are all a  symbol of romantic dreams .. For me, the magic pony is unlikely to be ordinary. Especially, it can not be a "monster" :unsure: She says that in that case it possible  to  buy everything ... I just choose them differently. I buy only the most favorite ponies.

And what is your concept ?

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
Re: The concept of your collection?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »
Some people feel only the rare are worth collecting, that's their thing. That's fine.

I have pretty much all commons right now, because I started collecting for the love of the ponies, not to gain status for having the rarest ponies. You collect how you want to and your friend can collect how she wants to. Everyone sees collecting differently and that's fine. Just tell your friend she can keep doing it her way and you'll keep doing it your way and you can both be happy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »
Seems like a status thing to only want the 'rare' ones inho...

But alas, the theme of my collection is childhood memories ;)

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »
I think rare/expensive/valuable ponies up the value of the collection, which is impressive, at least to me. But I mostly find worth in the ponies and sets that I happen to love the most. It's a balance between. ^^

I don't know if I have a theme... But I do like to collect according to the sets that I love most, like completing my flutters, TEs and then so-softs, then wingers, etc. Sometimes I'll come across a sought-after pony because she is in that set, but most of the time I will also think she is pretty (like Cool Breeze, Angel, Mimic, etc).

Offline Souffaloufagous

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »
Aww, sorry that your friend makes your feel like your ponies aren't as special.  That's lame.

As for me?  There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to my collection.  I just find ponies that I think are pretty or interesting, and collect them.  I don't try to finish sets, I don't stick to one generation or anything. 

I will say I have mostly G1s, but a couple of random G3s I liked are floating around (like waterfire and alphabittle).  One of my favorites is a ponyville cheerilee wearing a robe and drinking her morning coffee!  :p

I do notice that I tend to go for atypical color combos though, with wind drifter, tic tac toe, and waterfire as examples.

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
I think the concept of my collection is mostly the ponies I had as a child, which are all G1s. I'm not interested in the other gens apart from a select few G4s (mostly blind bags). I also like buying other G1s that need fixing up a bit, mainly because I feel sorry for them!

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
I really try to get princess/royalty themed ponies, ones with animals, ones with stars. Other than that, it's just what I like. Which is a lot!  :)
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »
The theme of my collection... MY LITTLE PONIES! :D

Seriously though I just love them all. Don't care what pricetag they might have. My goal is to get as many different colourful little ponies as I possibly can in my lifetime ;) I love surounding myself with them cuz' they bring me so much joy :)

I do have a plan though. As soon as I get my collection sorted and my ponyroom up I will start from the beginning (Starting with the very first set ever made and work my way year through year and try to complete all the sets there are :P )
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
Also, there is no pony that isn't special

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »
I think my theme is gotta catch 'em all...

Hehehe ^^'

Folly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
I've always found it funny how many different ways to collect there are, even in just this one collecting fandom.  Some people collect only rare ponies, some people collect multiples upon multiples of their favorite ponies... some people just buy all the ponies XD

I have a tiny little collection of just 11 ponies, because I only buy my very favorites, and I have a pretty minimal pony-budget.  But rarity doesn't matter to me.  Actually, I like the common ones better because they cost less :P all my ponies are special 'cause I love the way they look.  I guess I don't really have a theme beyond "whatever I really like" xD

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »
I want to collect as much G4 stuff as I can, but I specifically want to make a Princess Luna army. I got 4 so far, so I guess that counts as an army. XD Maybe I should pick up a second Canterlot Sisters and remove the tinsel.

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »
I don't see why a collection has to have a theme.  Along with ponies I also collect very expensive dolls, and for that collection I do prefer there is a theme given the nature of the dolls, as well as the expense. I enjoy them more that way. And that's fine for me, while some people who collect dolls just choose whatever they think is pretty. And that's how I collect my ponies. Sure, I like to group them according the species (earth, Pegasus and unicorn), and I prefer G4's just because they're so darn tiny which really works for me and the set-up I have for them, but that's as far as I go when it comes to "themes". But I basically just see what's out there, pick out which ones are the prettiest and would mesh the best with my group (I try not to get too many of similar color schemes unless I absolutely adore her), and see if I can get my hands on her. That's it. I don't buy doubles if I can help it because I want as much diversity as possible, yet some people like to build armies. Who's to say one way of collecting is better? It's just ridiculous to judge someone's collection that way.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 11:51:30 AM »
Whatever I like! Though I go through phases... right now I'm obsessed by any scented pony. I have a specific wish list, but when I see ponies in thrift/vintage shops, it's whatever I can get my hands on!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »
I have never considered one would think about a theme when collecting anything. I just buy what I like. I don't consider my geeky collections to really have monetary value, even though they do. But I just consider them of value to ME.

If I had to choose a theme for fun my G1 theme would be 'emotional attachment'. G1s just bring me back to a happy childhood place. I love them so much.

My G3 collection is the ones that I think are the prettiest.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal